Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good tire option for Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 11:31 PM
HCB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've been looking at the Cycleops and Vittoria options so far. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-15, 05:51 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
A used tire from your road bike. You don't need special model tires for trainers, only tires that you don't care how they wear or discolor from the aluminum spindle. Just save your old road tires and use them on the trainer. If you don't have any old tires lying around, either buy any cheap road tire or buy a new, good tire for your bike and take off the one that is most worn for the trainer. I'm assuming you have an extra rear wheel to use on the trainer. Otherwise using a different tire on the trainer than you ride on the road is just a PITA involving changing it back and forth.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-09-15, 06:11 AM
Smokehouse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Conti trainer tire back in 2012...I have put a ton (and I mean a ton) of hours on that thing in my Kurt trainer. Still in great shape.

I understand its a bit of an expense, but I landed up getting spare rear wheel just for my trainer. It makes simply swapping between the trainer/road much easier.
Old 10-09-15, 07:22 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This. I've done more than half my mileage this year on my trainer (with zwift) and only have my one set of wheels for now. I get decent wear from Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires, occasionally rotating back to front. I'm sure this is not ideal and may be a bit of a compromise for ultra performance oriented riders, but is a better option than using a trainer-only model tire, which would be unsafe on the road. The Rubinos are cost effective vs performance, as well, ie I'm not "wasting" $70 tires on a trainer.

If you have a spare wheel though, you could go for a proper dedicated trainer tire if you want.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
A used tire from your road bike. You don't need special model tires for trainers, only tires that you don't care how they wear or discolor from the aluminum spindle. Just save your old road tires and use them on the trainer. If you don't have any old tires lying around, either buy any cheap road tire or buy a new, good tire for your bike and take off the one that is most worn for the trainer. I'm assuming you have an extra rear wheel to use on the trainer. Otherwise using a different tire on the trainer than you ride on the road is just a PITA involving changing it back and forth.
Old 10-09-15, 07:27 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
This. I've done more than half my mileage this year on my trainer (with zwift) and only have my one set of wheels for now. I get decent wear from Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires, occasionally rotating back to front. I'm sure this is not ideal and may be a bit of a compromise for ultra performance oriented riders, but is a better option than using a trainer-only model tire, which would be unsafe on the road. The Rubinos are cost effective vs performance, as well, ie I'm not "wasting" $70 tires on a trainer.

If you have a spare wheel though, you could go for a proper dedicated trainer tire if you want.
These days on the 41 it is generally acknowledged to be better to run the rear tire until it is shot, then put a new tire on the front and the front tire on the rear. Never go back the other way. This keeps your best tire up front for best steering and control. Total tire usage is the same. The only problem would be if you wanted to change both tires to a different brand/model at the same time.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-09-15, 07:42 AM
cleansheet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any old tire.
Old 10-09-15, 08:15 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I use a trainer specific tire made by Cyclops.
Old 10-09-15, 08:31 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I have a travel trac fluid trainer. I just use my normal road tires since I don't spend that much time on the trainer, but with winter approaching I've been eyeing a trainer tire of some sort. Mainly I'd be seeking a quieter trainer experience, since with the GP4000s on my normal rear wheel it makes a lot of noise.

The reviews of trainer tires generally mention that they are quieter than normal road tires, and I've got a spare rear wheel/cassette, so I think it might be worth the $40 plunge to see if I can quiet things down and not wake up my wife when I'm sitting on the trainer at 6 AM in January.

Any of you guys have back to back experience with trainer tires/regular road tires as far as noise?
Old 10-13-15, 01:12 PM
myqlj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run the Vittoria trainer on my Fluid 2. Little wear showing yet, compared to quick wear when I ran a regular tire. It is quieter.
Old 10-14-15, 05:37 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
I just use the current tire when the weather is transitional and I'm both outdoors and inside. Then when solely inside, I'll put on an old road tire.
Old 10-14-15, 09:04 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't have any end-of-life road tires, the Nashbar Prima 2 Plus is $15 and holds up extremely well to trainer duty.