Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Most/Least Liked Wrenching Tasks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 02:26 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
For the other procrastinators out there (I am perhaps a charter member in the club), I offer this recent article from the NY Times:

Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control)
great article, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-18-19, 02:56 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Oh I'm smoking ass pissed the eff off right now... trying to thread a brake cable through a cable yoke- and it started unstranding the cable- I didn't solder the end enough, or high enough up...

Untitled by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-18-19, 04:43 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Love - riding, not wrenching
Hate - wrenching, not riding
I've always enjoyed working on my bikes as much as I do riding them (and sometimes I even get annoyed when everything is working right and properly maintained, because there is nothing to do).

And I'm also on the side of those that enjoy wrapping bars: instant gratification when you are finished, and few things in the world are as nice as fresh bar tape.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-18-19, 07:54 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I hate committing to a wheel overhaul, the cleaning, the greasing bearings, bleh.

I love a wheel overhaul after committing to it. The cleaning, truing, greasing bearings, all of it. So satisfying once complete.
Hands down the #1 thing that stalls out over-hauls for me and then when I do it I think why did I put that off?
Likes For ryansu:
Old 06-19-19, 05:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
hate:
- stripping the paint from a frame prior to refinishing
- having to re-adjust a loose ball bottom bracket bearing after the first long test ride and the bearings settle in just a bit
- identifying the source of a click or tick while riding
- living with poor bearings and internals of Sunrace freewheels
- squeaky saddle rails
- getting STI triples/fronts to work correctly

like:
- polishing a frame and touching up prior to re-assembly
- polishing and re-assembling aluminum brake calipers
- discovering that all of my measuring, planning, and adjusting has resulted in a perfect fit on the first ride
Old 06-19-19, 07:10 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Really Dislike:

1. removing powdercoat so the frame can be painted

Dislike:

1. removing a stuck stem/seatpost
2. trying to replicate saddle position - I never seem to get it right the first time
3. realizing that the BB spindle length still isn't right, with the second BB
4. losing one of the thin nuts for Campy NR brake pad holders
5. cutting the rear brake housing too short, for the second time

Like:

1. cleaning a dirty frame
2. polishing the paint on a used frame and seeing the real story unfold
3. servicing headset/BB/hub bearings and hearing the almost silent whoosh of a properly lubed and adjusted bearing
4. finding the right color for cable housings
5. wrapping bar tape
6. getting the shifter housing length just right so the loops touch in front of the headtube
7. building wheels

Really Like:

1. the first ride of a newly built bike - spokes flashing in the sun as the wheels turn
2. a 15mph tailwind on the last leg of a long ride
3. riding a freshly serviced 35 year old bike on a metric century and having zero issues
4. riding with good friends
Old 06-19-19, 07:25 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
On the issue of hate and procrastination, I am more than one year into a re-paint of my coupled bike. I did some sanding on the rear triangle six months ago. It falls in with the cleaning/polishing hate. Detail work is just not my cup of tea.
Old 06-19-19, 07:51 AM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I hate using a tool and placing it down somewhere then spending 5 minutes looking around for it , happens about 8 times and hour 40 minutes wasted.
I like most things working on a bike, but the most satisfying is taking it out for a spin and whatever you were working on works.
Likes For cromagnum:
Old 06-19-19, 07:53 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
least liked:

- cleaning rd pulleys (yuck!)
close second being gluing new tubulars with tubasti
Old 06-19-19, 11:25 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
For stuck Fixed cups I've found that the tool I made as per Sheldon Brown's Tool Hint works a charm.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Cheers
I have used that thing. It did work, but once I've gotten to that point I usually also need someone to sit on the frame so it doesn't react to the torque of the bar I'm reefing on! I've also made that Sheldon tool and then galled the threads of the bolt so badly that I couldn't use it a second time!! BB threads were fine however weirdly. That was a Canadian-made Pug. Good, solid frame!!

It's never a problem on my bike, only on friends' rigs. Which says more about the friends I have and how they care for their bikes than anything else. For these people I usually put the new bottom bracket in with generous amounts of anti-seize paste.
Old 06-19-19, 11:31 AM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Bikes: Trek 8.2 DS / Trek DS 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I pretty much enjoy everything about working on bikes. One thing I hate is when something is made on so tight, I think I might break it trying to get it off. PB Blaster helps alot.
Old 06-19-19, 01:05 PM
snowball123

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Apprehensive with anything threaded, enough said
Old 06-19-19, 01:20 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Just the opposite to the OP...
Love: building/truing wheels. Riding on my own wheels gives me a sense of accomplishment, more than any other bike related work.
Not hate but not really like: bar taping. I'm not good at it, that might be the cause...
I don't really hate any bike work.
Old 06-20-19, 04:46 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
i like working on bikes, but not when I'm trying to ride them.

Old 06-24-19, 11:10 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
cup/cone wheel bearings, disassembly(all the grease and dirt), cone adjustment (fussiness)
Old 06-24-19, 11:15 AM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Dislike/like

I don't like doing repairs. I like doing modifications.
Old 06-24-19, 11:29 AM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I love most wrenching tasks. Even if it's frustrating, always get great satisfaction when the job is done.

I absolutely despise mounting tubeless tires. Swapped my road tubeless wheels back to tubes since it was driving me crazy. I heard mountain bike tires are easier, but I haven't converted me new mountain bike to tubeless yet.
Old 06-24-19, 11:50 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
I FINALLY get around to catching up on this thread, and you had to post this:
For the other procrastinators out there (I am perhaps a charter member in the club), I offer this recent article from the NY Times:

Well, I'll read the article tomorrow.

Like - almost everything. Bringing any old inop bike back to life. That first test ride, even when you know there's plenty more work to do. Oddly, I especially like discovering some of the "creative" maintenance gaffes left by previous owners. Bikes that we "bottom-feed", from the thrift store or free CL, etc. Some were obviously given up for dead, just because so many things were wrong, and/or were badly ham-fisted. It's fun finding out that reversing all those gaffes is all the bike really needed.

Dislike - taping drop bars. Yeah, seems to be a favorite "like" in this thread. And my last tape job, I think I did pretty well (Calvin Jones method). But I don't like having to commit to a tape color. And I'm terrible at keeping some colors clean; they get dirty just by looking at them. Also, I'm always second-guessing whether I've put the levers in the right position. It's one of those ops that's not amenable to tweaking afterward, and post-op tweaking is in my nature.
Old 06-24-19, 09:31 PM
movelo

Bikes: Mondia

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnum
I hate using a tool and placing it down somewhere then spending 5 minutes looking around for it , happens about 8 times and hour 40 minutes wasted.
Cromagnum, get yourself one of them there "OEM portable tear down trays" at Amazon or equivalent. (Sorry I'm too noob to be allowed URL post).

It will roll around the bike stand with you, and be the "somewhere" to put your tools down. You will lay out all your tools and supplies for the job at hand, then be like a surgeon ready to operate.

Least liked task: the hours spent searching for the runaway bearing ball or whatever tiny part gravity has just plucked right out of my fingers and launched across the floor to never-gonna-find-it-land.

Movelo
Likes For movelo:
Old 06-24-19, 11:14 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Oh I'm smoking ass pissed the eff off right now... trying to thread a brake cable through a cable yoke- and it started unstranding the cable- I didn't solder the end enough, or high enough up...

Untitled by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
Don't come undone.
Don't get your undies in a twist
Don't be afrayed to try again
Time to solder on
Old 06-25-19, 02:24 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

Maybe I'll read that tomorrow, at least I am pretty sure I will.
Old 06-25-19, 02:33 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Love: building bikes

Least liked: cleaning and lubing chains and adjusting threaded headsets. I don't particularly love adjusting hubs, but I see it as a challenge to be overcome that usually ends up well.
Old 06-25-19, 07:38 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
least liked:

- cleaning rd pulleys (yuck!)
close second being gluing new tubulars with tubasti
The links to your bikes, in your signature. That site has been dead since 2011. And it really never worked well for the 2 years prior.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-26-19, 03:10 AM
kwhiner

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '84 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Least enjoyed tasks

Don't do that much wrenching other than minor adjustments, but adjusting Brakes has to be my least favorite. Went so far as to switch from V-brakes to Cantilevers because of all the hassles I had with the V-brakes.
Old 06-26-19, 09:43 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by kwhiner
Don't do that much wrenching other than minor adjustments, but adjusting Brakes has to be my least favorite. Went so far as to switch from V-brakes to Cantilevers because of all the hassles I had with the V-brakes.
I feel the same way. Smooth posts with serrated tapered washers as found on Shimano SLR (MC-70 or MT-60/62) cantilever brakes separate the adjustment of toe and angle (yaw and roll axes for you aviators out there) into discrete separate steps of adjustment. This is in contrast to the V-brake setup with ball/socket washers where you have to get the pad oriented exactly and hold it there while tightening the bolt, which is no mean feat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.