Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling city in USA?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-01-19, 11:12 PM
RupertCornelius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a common theme in many sports - skiing, running, rock climbing, etc that people seek out the best cities to live in to have the best places nearby, but I haven't seen the similar sorts of threads for cycling.

Where in the US has the best road cycling? I'd think maybe somewhere in California, where you get year-round rideable weather, not too hot summers but also no snow or cold in winter, along with ability to get up into mountains. Various places in the Rockies would be good for summer, but snowed in in the winter. Doesn't seem like anything east of the Mississippi would even be a contender, but maybe somewhere in North Carolina, Tennessee or Kentucky has the climate and topology, if it also had a local scene and safe roads.

So all things considered - year-round weather, terrain, roads, traffic, group rides, etc, where has the best cycling?
Old 12-01-19, 11:22 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
No snow? Some of the best riding is on snow surfaces. Every season has a bike type. The types of biking and types of riding preferences are too broad although it makes for a good long winded discussion thread 😃
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 12-02-19, 12:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Much as it pains me to say, probably the San Diego area. Well established cycling infrastructure (bike lanes everywhere,) lots of clubs, plenty of annual events, weather is tough to beat.

I just detest driving there.
Old 12-02-19, 01:09 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Fort Collins, Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and Portland are a few that often come up at the top. I do believe right now that Fort Collins is the hot one on several of these ridiculous lists. From what I have heard, Copenhagen blows all of these away, but I've never ridden there, so can't say, myself.
Old 12-02-19, 03:12 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
define "city." <50k? <100k? <500k? <1mil? san diego is so 80's...try austin, santa rosa, los alamos, sedona, bend, boise, slc, provo, las cruces, tucson,
paso robles, slo, reno, kanab, st. george, silver city, portland instead. apparently california gives too much free stuff away but prety sure it's not lighting or deep dish carbon wheels.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-02-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-02-19, 08:36 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Recreation or Commuting

For recreation I would say Sacramento.

32 mile american river bike trail and 40 mile folsom canal trail 10 mile sacramento river trail.

You can easily so a century without hearing traffic let alone riding with it.

Also dry riding weather from Mar to Nov.
Old 12-02-19, 09:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Much as it pains me to say, probably the San Diego area. Well established cycling infrastructure (bike lanes everywhere,) lots of clubs, plenty of annual events, weather is tough to beat.

I think that San Diego is surprisingly un-cycling friendly for the amount of riders it has. This includes miles of bike lanes and general road conditions. Within the county, North County is significantly better with easier access to open country roads and climbing.

I will agree that the amount of clubs, events and weather are indeed pretty tough to beat. In regards to the events, the number of USAC sanctioned races has dropped from 5-6 a few years ago to just 1 now. But that problem also extends to SCNCA/NCNCA and the nation at large. USAC needs to do a better job of fostering participation, and we need another lance-like GC rider to garner interest on a bigger scale.

My vote def. goes to Santa Barbara for the record. I spent 10 weeks there interning in college (~2009) and had a hard time staying in the lab enough... Great riding all around and drivers that seemed to be more tolerant towards it. San Diego is quite conservative in comparison, politically and culturally and I've felt generally safer on the road the farther north in the state I've been. College was Humboldt State U, also awesome but just so remote, and rain.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-02-19, 11:04 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I think the best comparison list would be the LABs list. Cities of all sizes area rated. You can decide if their ratings are good or bad but they are suppose to be consistent. https://bikeleague.org/bfa/awards#community

bpcyclist is right about Copenhagen. I have biked there and there is not a city on the list that comes close.

BTW, if you are not a member of LAB, you may want to consider supporting them
Old 12-02-19, 11:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't agree with the idea that you have to ride 365 days a year for a place to be good. Cross training is the spice of life.
Old 12-02-19, 11:32 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Well I don't know about the best in the world, but Folsom CA has over 50 miles of paved bike trails - many more unpaved. I moved here specifically for those trails, which I enjoy daily.
Likes For joelcool:
Old 12-02-19, 12:28 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
For recreation I would say Sacramento.

32 mile american river bike trail and 40 mile folsom canal trail 10 mile sacramento river trail.

You can easily so a century without hearing traffic let alone riding with it.

Also dry riding weather from Mar to Nov.
It’s all so flat, though. You’d have to ride a couple hours each way to Folsom/Roseville or Winters/Vacaville (depending which side of town you live) to get any decent elevation in.
Old 12-02-19, 12:32 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't agree with the idea that you have to ride 365 days a year for a place to be good. Cross training is the spice of life.
It’s not mandatory, but it can be a factor. Nobody’s saying they want to ride in Phoenix or LA, even though they’re dry, because the car is king there. But a million miles of bike paths will get a lot less use in a city where you get your trouser and socks wet every time you ride.
Old 12-02-19, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I love my hometown of Sacramento, but it's very flat and frying pan hot in the summer. I would have to say Santa Rosa: cooler than Sacramento, less crowded than SF-Oak, easy access to climbing or the coast, great options for road, mtb, or gravel.
Old 12-02-19, 02:08 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
How about we not talk about the obvious stuff?

Like, just describe your area perhaps?

I live in Raleigh. We've got two 30-mile each way paved rail trails. One with zero road crossings. So you could ride your bike 90min each way non-stop with no cars. Greenways are definitely a runners/dog person's world, but once out of town by a mile past the trailheads.........you're good.

Also, we've got Umstead park and Lake Crabtree. MTB and gravel heaven inside the city limits and accessible by greenway from the city proper. I'd say that's a huge draw.

I can't imagine many larger towns cities with something like Umstead/Crabtree.

They also approved some bonds recently on greenway/rail trails that would link up the Raleigh and Cary systems and finally plug a few major holes for folks looking to get certain places without taking crap roads or driving to get there.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-02-19, 02:38 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Oddly enough Merlin, Oregon gets a nod from me. Low population, mild weather, and single-lane paved logging roads that go for hundreds/thousands of miles into the hills.
Old 12-02-19, 02:43 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Oddly enough Merlin, Oregon gets a nod from me. Low population, mild weather, and single-lane paved logging roads that go for hundreds/thousands of miles into the hills.
Yes, but you do have to keep eyes peeled for those log trucks barreling down the hill...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-02-19, 02:47 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Yes, but you do have to keep eyes peeled for those log trucks barreling down the hill...
And the meth labs/illegal marijuana grows.

Aside from the life-threatening aspects, Merlin is tops
Old 12-02-19, 04:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I think cities are jumping off points to better cycling venues. If I am ever in a financial position to retire fully, I am moving to a small town in the Eastern Sierra. There is enough varied recreational activities and hundreds of miles of forest roads, mountain paved roads and single tracks to never get bored.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-02-19, 04:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Cypress
And the meth labs/illegal marijuana grows.

Aside from the life-threatening aspects, Merlin is tops
And squatches, which can be aggressive during mating season.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-02-19, 04:50 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by RupertCornelius
It's a common theme in many sports - skiing, running, rock climbing, etc that people seek out the best cities to live in to have the best places nearby, but I haven't seen the similar sorts of threads for cycling.

Where in the US has the best road cycling? I'd think maybe somewhere in California, where you get year-round rideable weather, not too hot summers but also no snow or cold in winter, along with ability to get up into mountains. Various places in the Rockies would be good for summer, but snowed in in the winter. Doesn't seem like anything east of the Mississippi would even be a contender, but maybe somewhere in North Carolina, Tennessee or Kentucky has the climate and topology, if it also had a local scene and safe roads.

So all things considered - year-round weather, terrain, roads, traffic, group rides, etc, where has the best cycling?
Let me understand "road cycling" - you mean riding proper road bike with the intent of racing road races? Then look were the US pro riders live and ride. If you looking for a bike friendly place to ride any bike ... I'll give big ups to my town - Minneapolis! https://www.ourstreetsmpls.org/minne...city_in_the_us

For reference, I ride a bike whenever I can on travel, and I travel around the US frequently. Chicago is good, DC is OK, San Diego was good, Houston sucked ... to name a few that stand out. Also, I've bike-tour France, and our best cities are crap in comparison.

I live just west of Minneapolis (9 miles by the Cedar Trail), in Hopkins, there are 5 regional trails that are less then a mile from my garage. This give you 10 to 15 miles on any one of the trails without sharing with motor vehicles; and connects you to a network of trails that can take you all sorts of amazing places - you could route a car-free century route.

I'm not understanding the snow issue? We have great year-round bike community here. The city plows dedicated bike routes before most streets. There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad bike gear.

Lastly, tell me, where else in the US do you have a bike freeway? Three lanes (Eastbound bike, Westbound bike, and foot traffic); connects the western suburbs right to downtown, Target Field, and bike friendly train connections to MSP and MOA.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 12-02-19, 05:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How about we not talk about the obvious stuff?

Like, just describe your area perhaps?

I live in Raleigh. We've got two 30-mile each way paved rail trails. One with zero road crossings. So you could ride your bike 90min each way non-stop with no cars. Greenways are definitely a runners/dog person's world, but once out of town by a mile past the trailheads.........you're good.

Also, we've got Umstead park and Lake Crabtree. MTB and gravel heaven inside the city limits and accessible by greenway from the city proper. I'd say that's a huge draw.

I can't imagine many larger towns cities with something like Umstead/Crabtree.

They also approved some bonds recently on greenway/rail trails that would link up the Raleigh and Cary systems and finally plug a few major holes for folks looking to get certain places without taking crap roads or driving to get there.
Raining. It's been raining since I've lived here.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-02-19, 05:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've done a couple hub-and-spoke bike tours in Bend, OR. Nice there. Town is a bit odd, mostly populated by young well-to-do athletic types. Good biking roads, lots of bikes on them. People there paddleboard, kayak, rock climb, road bike and/or MTB, ski Alpine and XC. Only thing is, property values have jumped up a lot there in the past few years. 10 years ago was the time. Good weather, not that hot in summer for being in eastern Oregon. High. The whole place is built on a lava flow. One mostly has to drill to put in fence posts.
Old 12-02-19, 06:09 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

East county. Out Alpine, Julian, Palomar, Mesa Grande, Boulevard, Kitchen Creek, La Posta, Sunrise Hwy, Hwy 79 between I-8 and Julian, Old Hwy 80 and Hwy 94, are all incredible rides with very little traffic.
Likes For Doge:
Old 12-02-19, 06:43 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
^sssshhhh....
Old 12-02-19, 07:03 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Surprisingly...where I used to live (La Crosse, WI) was absolutely amazing for road cycling. By 'road cycling', I mean riding a bike on a road that is shared with cars.

Wisconsin paves almost all roads to support the dairy industry. The far western part of the state is super unpopulated, so that means lots of completely empty rural roads. There are also Cat 3 and 4 climbs all over the place (usually 1-2 miles, with 400-600 ft. elevation gain, averaging 6-11%), so plenty of opportunities for nice climbs and zippy descents. If the two cars every 10 miles are still too much, there's a bunch of gravel across the river in Minnesota...it's really dead over there. Drivers are mostly cool, as long as the farmers can get around.

Cons: Limited cell service (you're on your own, champ!), no actual mountains/long climbs, Winter (people do ride in the winter, but road cycling dies out), not much to do in town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.