Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help with getting a replacement wheel for a bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 01:22 PM
TheFreQiest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I have recently purchased a marked down Schwinn DSB Dual Sport bike (or at least that's what it says on the frame), and as I was taking the rear wheel off to inspect any damage that may have occurred back there, the rear gear assembly completely fell apart, all the bearings, cogs, and pretty much any part you can think of fell off of the hub and all over the floor. I don't have any specialty tools or the time to fix the current wheel so I have opted to just buy a completely new wheel and gear assembly. I need help knowing how to pick a new wheel and cassette. So far I've found that the wheel itself is a 700x34c (I think) and the tire that was on it is a 700 x 38c. The cassette is a 7 speed. How would I go about buying a new wheel and gear assembly to put onto this bike?
Old 03-03-20, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Take it back to Walmart or wherever and get your money back.
Old 03-03-20, 02:13 PM
TheFreQiest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Take it back to Walmart or wherever and get your money back.
It was sold as-is, I can't take it back for a refund. The only problem on this bike is the rear wheel, I can't identify any other problems other than the derailleurs needing to be calibrated and adjusted.
Old 03-03-20, 02:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My bet is that the axle broke. Replacing the axle is a fairly simple job. 7 speed probably indicates a freewheel, not a cassette. Freewheel hubs are much more prone to broken axles than cassette hubs
Old 03-03-20, 03:51 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Might be less expensive to take to a bike shop and have them repack the bearings and put on a new freewheel. Would be less than a new wheel. My guestimate would be about $60.

There are wheels like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-Whee...272352&sr=8-17

But your still going to have to buy a new freewheel and tools to install or a bike shop to install for you.

This is what makes me think it's cheaper to pay a LBS to fix original wheel.

Last edited by travbikeman; 03-03-20 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 03-03-20, 04:40 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by TheFreQiest
It was sold as-is, I can't take it back for a refund. The only problem on this bike is the rear wheel, I can't identify any other problems other than the derailleurs needing to be calibrated and adjusted.
You say the bike was sold as is. Was it second hand or new? Where did you buy it? Even items sold as is should still have some warranty support if a part on it is clearly defective. You may not be able to return the bike, but the seller may be willing to replace the defective part
derailleurs being out of adjustment is pretty much a given for bikes sold online or in discount type stores
Old 03-03-20, 07:55 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm going to agree with those saying to take the bike to a shop and have them fix it. Even if someone gave you a new wheel for free getting everything adjusted properly will require some time and learning. If you are new as it appears you are and don't have the time or tools then paying to have everything put together properly is money well spent.

Most of us started with little in the way of tools and knowledge. We developed a love for riding bikes way before we immersed ourselves in fixing and maintaining our machines. If you stick with it in time you will also start to collect tools will know what each component works. At the minimum you should have enough tools to make simple repairs but starting with your bike functioning well will help make cycling a fun past time rather than a mystery.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 03-03-20, 08:04 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by TheFreQiest
Hi, I have recently purchased a marked down Schwinn DSB Dual Sport bike (or at least that's what it says on the frame), and as I was taking the rear wheel off to inspect any damage that may have occurred back there, the rear gear assembly completely fell apart, all the bearings, cogs, and pretty much any part you can think of fell off of the hub and all over the floor. I don't have any specialty tools or the time to fix the current wheel so I have opted to just buy a completely new wheel and gear assembly. I need help knowing how to pick a new wheel and cassette. So far I've found that the wheel itself is a 700x34c (I think) and the tire that was on it is a 700 x 38c. The cassette is a 7 speed. How would I go about buying a new wheel and gear assembly to put onto this bike?
After reading this again, I have to think that your whole rear wheel was massively defective if this description is accurate. The deal here is that you have to have this inspected by someone who knows what they are doing. Your bike was sold "as is" but that does not mean that you forfeit any recourse for defective parts
Old 03-03-20, 08:28 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
That's odd. Bike is probably cursed with evil spirits. I would look for a witch doctor for help.
Old 03-03-20, 08:54 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Maybe it was just the freewheel (assembly) that fell apart, in which case you could get a new one on Amazon for $14 and take it and the existing wheel to a local bike shop or bike coop to have the remainder of the old freewheel removed and the new one installed. Call them first, the shop or coop may even have a $14 freewheel to sell you.

https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Freew...s%2C146&sr=8-4

If the bearing retainer ring on a freewheel loosens and falls off, you find the screw-on ring, some spacers, a bunch of tiny ball bearings and possibly the engagement pawls and springs at your feet. Along with the cogset.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 03-03-20, 09:50 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
Maybe it was just the freewheel (assembly) that fell apart, in which case you could get a new one on Amazon for $14 and take it and the existing wheel to a local bike shop or bike coop to have the remainder of the old freewheel removed and the new one installed. Call them first, the shop or coop may even have a $14 freewheel to sell you.

https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Freew...s%2C146&sr=8-4

If the bearing retainer ring on a freewheel loosens and falls off, you find the screw-on ring, some spacers, a bunch of tiny ball bearings and possibly the engagement pawls and springs at your feet. Along with the cogset.
This is another possible defect that could have happened. We are trying to diagnose a problem with limited information. If your freewheel fell apart, a new one will be inexpensive and you will have to buy one anyway if you buy a new wheel. If your freewheel fell apart, all you need to buy is a new freewheel, but your original post does mot necessarily indicate that. Please inform yourself by consulting with someone who can look at your bike and figure out what is wrong