Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pannier rain cover

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pannier rain cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 01:00 AM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Pannier rain cover

any advice on a pannier rain cover wouuld be appreciated....thks
Old 06-18-20, 05:35 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mark d
any advice on a pannier rain cover wouuld be appreciated....thks
use the raincover when it's raining.

yore welcome!
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 06-18-20, 06:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Or don't use them and instead put everything inside plastic bags inside the panniers.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-18-20, 07:22 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Depending on size, throw a plastic grocery/shopping bag over them (of a large enough size) to tie off in the back/bottom.

Looks are secondary....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 06-18-20, 07:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had mine custom sewn .. one covweered top rack load + the 2 panniers, front ones had a flap covering side map pockets,,

Or buy waterproof bags and no covers needed.. Now My Ortlieb bags see a lot of grocery carrying ..

the compartmentalized ones were better on the tour..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-18-20 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-18-20, 11:39 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Rain covers are not needed if you use high quality waterproof panniers, like Ortlieb for example.
Old 06-18-20, 02:57 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
yes, high dollar waterproof bags would be ideal, but alas i am poor.....i wonder if a waterproof treatment like scotchguard would do the trick ?

thks for all the replies ......except for saddlesores
Old 06-18-20, 04:56 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Is your location actually Costa Rica? That sounds like the kind of rain that will soak through a DWR treatment on non-waterproof cloth.

If the budget won't stretch to new Ortlieb, you could look for used Ortlieb on ebay etc. Or Alibaba has plenty of vinyl-constructed panniers, I saw some for US$25. Yes buy once cry once, but that's 1/6th the price of new Ortlieb in USA
Old 06-18-20, 05:07 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
The scotch guard is only as good as the coverage and thickness... alas, a can doesn't last forever. The guard does weather and deteriate with time. I have a used pair of Axiom waterproof (25usd) I've been using for years, and a pair of cloth Blackburns with seemingly waterproof innards, but only used once on a good day, and plan to throw plastic bags around them if ever needed. My back rack luggage bag (Topeak) I have thrown a plastic bag over when needed and plenty happy.
Old 06-18-20, 05:18 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
yes, high dollar waterproof bags would be ideal, but alas i am poor.....i wonder if a waterproof treatment like scotchguard would do the trick...
Scotchguard would not provide adequate protection from rain. Likely a waste of money.

Low budget solution: Like indyfabz wrote above in #3 , I would put everything in waterproof bags inside panniers. Slider-lock style freezer bags would probably work, available in quart, 1 gallon and 2 gallon volumes. Dry bags are more durable and more expensive initially, but possibly cheaper than disposable freezer bags in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3414201

Last edited by seeker333; 06-18-20 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For seeker333:
Old 06-18-20, 09:27 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I bought Water resistant Tioga bags that have built in rain covers in the top flap. I wanted those bags as they had an extra bottle holder and separated compartments as well. It was $100 for all 4, from an LBS, and have been quite happy with them without the covers and light rain, and with the covers, in heavy rain. The rain covers are also yellow, so help in wet weather for being seen. You can also get decent waterproofing spray containers, better then S...... guard and lasts longer if you look around..
Old 06-18-20, 11:46 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
will check out all those suggestions, yeah i figured scothguard would be too good to be true

fourfa, yes i live in costa rica but i have not been able to fly home since march. airports closed due to corona. they are scheduled to open july 1st but there are strict quarrantine rules in effect and i am not going to put my family through that. so turn your lemons into lemonade right ? gonna do the co canal when i get off my ship july 2ndish
Old 06-19-20, 04:30 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
At one point in the past I used some inexpensive panniers with covers. They worked fine. The fact that they were high visibility was a nice plus.

I have also used inexpensive roll top waterproof panniers and liked them better, but they were not high visibility. Their on sale cost at Nashbar or Performance wasn't much more than a set of covers would probably cost. I tend to like the fact that they have one big compartment some may like the other style with a lot of pockets and compartments.
Old 06-19-20, 07:17 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
So to be clear, this is to use when you are able to make it back to gringolandia?
where are you in ticoland? Im very familiar with the country and region, hence my gringo joke..

there are of course purpose built rain covers, but going from your posts, plastic bags in panniers are probably your easiest option.
or pop over to Guapiles and snag some blue banana bunch covers (that's a joke)
aren't you the guy asking about a rear rack on a road bike? If so I don't know how you'd source a streamliner, import duties on bike stuff are high in cr, not to mention no flights.

if you go the bags in pannier route, go with thickest bags you can get, less holes ripping in them chances
Old 06-19-20, 08:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or don't use them and instead put everything inside plastic bags inside the panniers.
I do this even though I have waterproof Ortliebs. Keeps everything organized and easy to see what is in the bag
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-19-20, 08:52 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is my solution also. Plastic bags weigh almost nothing and are cheap. I don't use ordinary trash bags which are easy to tear. I use trash compactor bags which are tough and last a long time.
Old 06-19-20, 08:58 AM
DMax
Simpson, you've got a 513

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia, Co-Op ADV 4.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Plastic trash compactor bags inside the panniers. Ultralight hikers have been doing this for years. They are very durable and waterproof, and cheap.
Likes For DMax:
Old 06-20-20, 06:58 AM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
ok, trash bags it is. or trash compactor bags as suggested . thks guys....

also i just bought this pannier rain cover on amazon for $12.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 complete crap i am sure but maybe will help. i figure the more prepared i am for rain the less likely it will be to rain.

djb, yes this is to be used in the u.s. for a co canal trip. in answer to your query i live in santa anna c.r. as you probably know it is in the suburbs of the capital san jose. it was never my dream to live in the burbs, but when the wife starts cloning herself you gotta go to where the schools are. yes the banna bags in guapiles and siquieres might work. thks for the shout out
Old 06-20-20, 07:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Rain covers, 1999 style.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-20-20, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
ok, trash bags it is. or trash compactor bags as suggested . thks guys....

also i just bought this pannier rain cover on amazon for $12.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 complete crap i am sure but maybe will help. i figure the more prepared i am for rain the less likely it will be to rain.

djb, yes this is to be used in the u.s. for a co canal trip. in answer to your query i live in santa anna c.r. as you probably know it is in the suburbs of the capital san jose. it was never my dream to live in the burbs, but when the wife starts cloning herself you gotta go to where the schools are. yes the banna bags in guapiles and siquieres might work. thks for the shout out
Just to be clear, I’d suggest gallon (or larger) ZipLoc bags as the plastic bags over just one large plastic liner. They are tougher and more organized. I have bags that have traveled over 10,000 miles in panniers and are scuffed, of course, but they are still in good shape.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-20-20, 06:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mentioned in catalog there are compartmentalized organizer insert bags for Ortlieb panniers now..
Old 06-20-20, 06:31 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just to be clear, I’d suggest gallon (or larger) ZipLoc bags as the plastic bags over just one large plastic liner. They are tougher and more organized. I have bags that have traveled over 10,000 miles in panniers and are scuffed, of course, but they are still in good shape.
I also recommend the large zip lock bags. We've used them before for clothes etc inside a non waterproof duffle bag, and as cycco rightfully points out, they are pretty darn tough and seal well. It's been so long since we've bought them I don't recall the price or anything, but they are great tough bags. Having wet clothes is a drag.

just to be clear, are you saying that you'll buy and receive this stuff in cr or get it in the states?
Old 06-20-20, 07:30 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Scotchguard would not provide adequate protection from rain. Likely a waste of money.

Low budget solution: Like indyfabz wrote above in #3 , I would put everything in waterproof bags inside panniers. Slider-lock style freezer bags would probably work, available in quart, 1 gallon and 2 gallon volumes. Dry bags are more durable and more expensive initially, but possibly cheaper than disposable freezer bags in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3414201
I've used these for several trips in the muck and rain. No leaks yet. Either in my pannier or bungy directly to my rack. Even when not wet I use one for my dirty clothes. I always have ziplock bags too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-P...y-Bag/10928125

Last edited by u235; 06-20-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 09:54 PM
waddo

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
As someone mentioned, just use supermarket bags to organise your stuff and keep everything dry. Rain covers are not needed.
Old 07-05-20, 07:31 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I also recommend the large zip lock bags. We've used them before for clothes etc inside a non waterproof duffle bag, and as cycco rightfully points out, they are pretty darn tough and seal well. It's been so long since we've bought them I don't recall the price or anything, but they are great tough bags. Having wet clothes is a drag.

just to be clear, are you saying that you'll buy and receive this stuff in cr or get it in the states?
missed your query before. yes i will be receiving this stuff in the states. in fact i have it in hand now. its pretty cheapo (basil rain cover) but i figured that for the price. fits surprisingly well. plan rto follow the ziplock-plastic bag-garbage compactor suggestions as well

thanks to all for their help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.