Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Finally, a bike thief I wouldn't want to castrate...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 12:43 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I hate bike thieves... I have untold desires on how to handle the guy who would have the balls to steal my steed (castration being among the least of them). Today, however, I read about one that I'd have to pray for...

Bike Thief Leaves Handwritten Apology Note, Plus $10 for New Lock

I hope this guy can get straightened out, and everybody will take his post script to heart.

P.S. Please buy a U-lock
Old 10-15-12, 12:51 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Regarding the post-script: https://www.eugeneweekly.com/article/...tor-10-11-2012 Scroll down to "so good together" letter

One hundred miles down the road from the OP's event, someone had their bike that was secured with a U-lock stolen.

Even being in a stolen car is a felony and cops are on the lookout for every car that is stolen, at least locally. A stolen bike won't even generate a police report.
Old 10-15-12, 01:15 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Regarding the post-script: https://www.eugeneweekly.com/article/...tor-10-11-2012 Scroll down to "so good together" letter

One hundred miles down the road from the OP's event, someone had their bike that was secured with a U-lock stolen.

Even being in a stolen car is a felony and cops are on the lookout for every car that is stolen, at least locally. A stolen bike won't even generate a police report.
Isn't property worth over a certain amount, if stolen, considered a felony? Why then are not bikes, which could be expensive, also in this category?
Old 10-15-12, 01:41 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, over a certain amount it is "grand theft", but it isn't necessarily a felony.
Old 10-15-12, 04:55 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Most states set an amount for felony theft. It varies but in Minnesota it is set at $500 and bicycles are included like any other property. Remember that the $500 is for actual fair market value of the bike, not what it cost the owner or what it would cost to replace. When it is a simple theft not involving assault or other crimes the charge is often reduced to a misdemeanor in exchange for a guilty plea, at the discretion of the states attorney and judge.
Old 10-15-12, 04:57 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Isn't property worth over a certain amount, if stolen, considered a felony? Why then are not bikes, which could be expensive, also in this category?
If the level for a felony is $10k+, lots of car theft would be considered felony; few bikes would.

I bet the cops don't spend too much time looking for a car worth $1500 and theft of such might not even be a felony.
Old 10-15-12, 06:36 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Probably depends on each states laws. I think that if a person can be charged with a felony based on the value of the object stolen, that the interpretation of that would depend on the bench. The judge would have to form an opinion based on the value, and the maliciousness of the theft.
Old 10-15-12, 07:11 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
I hate bike thieves... I have untold desires on how to handle the guy who would have the balls to steal my steed (castration being among the least of them). Today, however, I read about one that I'd have to pray for...

I hope this guy can get straightened out, and everybody will take his post script to heart.
So for $10 and a handwritten letter he hopes the owner of the bike will not prosecute. I hope I am wrong.

Don in Austin
Old 10-15-12, 07:19 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
So for $10 and a handwritten letter he hopes the owner of the bike will not prosecute. I hope I am wrong.
I'm not saying that I hope that he doesn't get prosecuted. I'm hoping that the thief will be able to straighten himself out after paying his debt to society.
Old 10-15-12, 10:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How will this letter figure into things at trial? Did the owner of the bike get the $10.00? I can't believe that some of the comments have more sympathy for the crook and not the owner.

Yes, a LOT of people have fallen on hard times, but that doesn't justify committing any crime.

I hate bike
thieves... I have untold desires on how to handle the guy who would have the balls to steal my steed (castration being among the least of them). Today, however, I read about one that I'd have to pray for...

P.S. Please buy a U-lock
Old 10-15-12, 11:01 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Don in Austin
Actually, from how it sounded to me the theif appeared to be grateful that he got caught so that he could get the help that he needs.
Old 10-16-12, 05:18 PM
SPiN 360

Bikes: 2013 Giant Roam XR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I kind of feel sorry for the thief...
Old 10-17-12, 12:36 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SPiN 360
I kind of feel sorry for the thief...
Really, just because times are tough, that does NOT justify ANYONE resorting to crime. Or turn it around, how would you feel if it had been YOUR bike that was stolen. Would you still feel sorry for the thief?
Old 10-17-12, 03:48 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Actually, from how it sounded to me the theif appeared to be grateful that he got caught so that he could get the help that he needs.
Or the thief is a hardcore con artist and hopes the letter and the $10 will dissuade the victim from pressing charges.

Don in Austin
Old 10-17-12, 04:01 PM
GraysonPeddie

Bikes: Trek Pure Trike (recently bought)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me put it this way. I have no sympathy for stealing a bike but have a little bit of sympathy for your addiction problem. I say "little sympathy" because he really does need help right now to get rid of his problem with addiction. Of course, I do have a lot of sympathy for a very terrible quality of life. Besides, having a terrible quality of life and struggling with addiction does not make you want to commit a crime. You just lost your good heart and mind. Seriously, get help if you have addiction problem before this gets any worse.
Old 10-17-12, 06:09 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, just because times are tough, that does NOT justify ANYONE resorting to crime. Or turn it around, how would you feel if it had been YOUR bike that was stolen. Would you still feel sorry for the thief?
I think the sad reality is that when someone slides into addiction and homelessness, many of their waking hours are spent engaging in various criminal activities, from procuring and using illegal drugs, to loitering and solicitation, to petty theft, shoplifting and more. Everything in their stolen shopping cart is stolen. People at this desperate stage in life have lost respect for social boundaries, including property rights. This does not justify crime, but I think we need to keep things in perspective. If my bike was stolen, I'd exercise my homeowner's insurance and move on.
Old 10-17-12, 06:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
If my bike was stolen, I'd exercise my homeowner's insurance and move on.
I think my deductible is higher than any of my bikes are worth
Old 10-17-12, 07:39 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife, not a cyclist, just married to one, saw this story on Facebook. Her immediate reaction was that the remorse was 100% bogus and simply an attempt to win sympathy and get charges dropped. I am curious as to why I am the only one on this forum to bring up this possibility or, perhaps I should say likelihood. Drug addicts can be extremely slick talking and devious.

Don in Austin
Old 10-17-12, 07:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Don, thanks for knocking down my opinion of humanity just that little bit more

Does that actually work? I assume the cops are still going to follow through and charge him
Old 10-17-12, 08:09 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Don, thanks for knocking down my opinion of humanity just that little bit more

Does that actually work? I assume the cops are still going to follow through and charge him
Without the cooperation of the victim prosecution could very likely be abandoned. It has been decades, but I can assure you based on my experience in the drug culture a fake note of remorse and pathos to try to avoid incarceration it totally plausible. "I am really a good guy, but addiction makes me do bad things" is a pretty universal sympathy ploy when someone gets caught in a criminal act. Thief had only $10 to lose if he fails to con the person he stole the bike from. I think he has done pretty well at fooling at lot of people so the odds for his gambit are pretty good.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 10-17-12 at 08:10 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 10-17-12, 09:03 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Or the thief is a hardcore con artist and hopes the letter and the $10 will dissuade the victim from pressing charges.

Don in Austin
Theres that possibility as well.
Old 10-17-12, 09:22 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
I think the sad reality is that when someone slides into addiction and homelessness, many of their waking hours are spent engaging in various criminal activities, from procuring and using illegal drugs, to loitering and solicitation, to petty theft, shoplifting and more. Everything in their stolen shopping cart is stolen. People at this desperate stage in life have lost respect for social boundaries, including property rights. This does not justify crime, but I think we need to keep things in perspective. If my bike was stolen, I'd exercise my homeowner's insurance and move on.
Dave,

Just because a person is homeless that doesn't mean that they're either addicts or criminals. As there a lot of people who are homeless who are honest hardworking individuals. Way too many of them are Vets who have had a difficult time re-entering civilian life.

Also for too many people filing a claim with their home owners/renters insurance isn't an option. And what if their deductible is higher then the bike is worth?

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 10-17-12 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-17-12, 09:31 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don,

That is a very good question. It'd be interesting to know what if any criminal history he has.

And again I have to wonder if the victim actually got the $10.00 or not.

My wife, not a cyclist, just married to one, saw this story on Facebook. Her immediate reaction was that the remorse was 100% bogus and simply an attempt to win sympathy and get charges dropped. I am curious as to why I am the only one on this forum to bring up this possibility or, perhaps I should say likelihood. Drug addicts can be extremely slick talking and devious.

Don in Austin
Old 10-22-12, 03:15 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
the irony then is that if they don't prosecute the thief, he won't go to prison and won't get the help he needs (rehab, healthcare, etc).

seriously, that note wasn't written by an average street-hustling "career" criminal.

it's ****ed up that someone has to get arrested and prosecuted before they can get the help they're seeking to get their life back on track.
Old 10-22-12, 02:51 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How will this letter figure into things at trial?
It's a written confession. Maybe the police had a weak case before ... but not any more.

Though I guess if the judge orders restitution, he could reduce it by the $10 already paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.