Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Spokane - "new" bike/mup path

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 07:53 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe I was the first one on a bike to ride this new path! First off for the out of area people, this section I'm describing isn't worth a special trip, but it is part of the larger Centennial Trail.

The new path runs from Summit Blvd to near Washington Water Power Station on Post. There are some terrific views of the river and falls along the path.

I was looking for an alternative path for my commute home rather than riding downtown. I accessed the path by riding from Peaceful Valley Park over the river and up the hill to the path. I didn't realize the path was there. I expected to ride on Summit Blvd.

What is nice is this is a nice addition to the Centennial Trail. It is relatively flat and nice pavement. From River Front Park you can ride out through Peaceful Valley Park and only have a short ride on roads to Fish Lake Trail . If you aren't familiar with the ride from Summit Blvd to Riverside via Peace Valley Park it is a paved path, but has a steep short climb. There are numerous single track trails in the area, but I didn't explore those.

Or you can follow the path around to Summit Blvd and then onto Petit Drive.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to get to the top of Sunset Blvd, by the Geiger Post Office, by staying off Sunset Blvd. I'd be interested to hear what you say.
Old 10-22-13, 01:59 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wife and I walked the new section through Kendall Yards to Riverfront Park last couple days. Fall colors are spectacular and the views definitely give you an appreciation for how much undeveloped river bank there is still in Spokane. Pretty amazing really. Every time I think I might want to blow this burg, it surprises me and gives me a new reason to stick around.

To answer your question, I think your best bet to avoid Sunset traffic would be to come out the top of High Bridge Park at Sunset & Lindeke and actually take Lindeke across the freeway. It'll be kind of convoluted, as you'll be zig-zagging residential fringe south of the freeway (to 16th to Grandview to S Garden Springs Road); but then GSR winds along, crosses back under the freeway (where it hits Abbott then to Lawton and back to GSR at least somewhat close to the Geiger PO. dunno if that helps but it's the best un-highway-like way I could see short of really winding around the Rimrock area backroads.
Old 10-22-13, 09:47 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dminor - if you are walking the path around 5:00 and see biker going east with panniers and white helmet, besure to wave it might be me.

I will look at the path you mentioned. The other day I came down Greenwood from the Rimrock area. It was a blast, no traffic and the road is great especially compared to Sunset where I have to hug the white line to avoid the pot holes.
Old 10-04-17, 12:29 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Resurrecting this thread - going to Spokane this weekend for a conference and plan to ride easy paved MUP paths. Any suggestions for a 20-30 mike round trip? How’s the trip report for the centennial trail?
Old 10-04-17, 05:23 PM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Centennial Trail heading East from downtown Spokane is quite pleasant. Mostly bike path, a few sections of bike lane, only a few hundred feed shared with traffic. There are bathrooms and water fountains with reasonable frequency. I enjoyed 48 miles round trip from downtown to Idaho stateline and back.

Highly recommend trailside No-Li brewery/restaurant near Gonzaga campus for a reward after your ride.