Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Introducing Myself

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Introducing Myself

Old 11-18-19, 04:04 PM
Necrohazard
The Jon Snow of Cycling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Introducing Myself

Greetings, everyone!

I find myself in a strange place here. I would say that I love biking, but not necessarily bicycles themselves.
I cycled to work out of necessity for two years starting when I was 18 on the same bike I'd had since I was 12. It was an adult-sized bike that my parents probably got from Sam's Club. It said "Tahoe" on it. I still own it, actually.
It was the bike I took with me to Ohio when I got married and took on all my biking adventures until last year when my husband managed to snag a slightly better bike from a co-worker. This bike I know is a Schwinn, but I don't know much else about it. I've always been the type to just go with what works. Can I pedal it for long distances and see fun things in nature? Yes? Okay! However I would like a lighter bike.

I figure now is as good a time as any to maybe do a bit more research among real enthusiasts to see what would be good.

I try to commute to work when I can. Winter is slowly coming which will rule commuting out for me soon. But when the weather is good I often seek out trails to ride. That's my primary motivation for biking - seeing more nature.
Old 11-18-19, 04:43 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums. Not much to go on to recommend a bike. However, for me, I would probably looking for a cross-country or what is now called a gravel bike. I prefer drop type handlebars over the flat bar type. There are a lot of good bikes to choose from and much depends on your budget. The best advice I could give you now is to make sure you get a bike, whatever style, that fits you and will be comfortable for you.
Old 11-18-19, 06:25 PM
Necrohazard
The Jon Snow of Cycling

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Not much to go on to recommend a bike. However, for me, I would probably looking for a cross-country or what is now called a gravel bike.
What else would be beneficial in recommending one? I figured the type of cycling I do (commuting and recreational trail riding) would be a decent starting point haha. I don't know **** about bikes.
Old 11-19-19, 01:20 AM
DrFeelGood

Bikes: 2019 Surley Straggler, 1994 Cannondale Killer-V 900, 1987 Trek 420 -- PAST: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1989 & 1991 Cannondale SM900 "Beast of the East", 2006 Bianchi Axis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Necrohazard
What else would be beneficial in recommending one? I figured the type of cycling I do (commuting and recreational trail riding) would be a decent starting point haha. I don't know **** about bikes.
I went with fit first. You have to feel comfortable on it.
Old 11-19-19, 02:24 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood
I went with fit first. You have to feel comfortable on it.
I agree! Competitive cyclist has a calculator you can use for free to get recommendations, or you could try a bike fitting service for a fee at a bike shop. It's not a magic bullet, but it'll get you in the right zip code.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 11-19-19, 03:29 AM
Vintavelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Greetings

Welcome, Necrohazard!
Old 11-20-19, 10:38 AM
Necrohazard
The Jon Snow of Cycling

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I agree! Competitive cyclist has a calculator you can use for free to get recommendations, or you could try a bike fitting service for a fee at a bike shop. It's not a magic bullet, but it'll get you in the right zip code.
Thanks for that information! I'll need to check it out.