Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton 2-Speed or 6-Speed?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 06:27 PM
Andy Thousand

Bikes: Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Been riding a S2R Brompton with 18% reduced gearing for the last 3 years. Tried a 6-Speed before I bought it, but liked the simplicity of the 2-speed better. Never had a problem climbing any hills within the city. What Brompton do you own and what made you choose it?

Likes For Andy Thousand:
Old 11-24-19, 08:22 AM
Electricblue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like 2 speed over 6 speed. Lighter ride on flats and less complicated maintenance.

If you're living in a hilly area, might be good to consider a 6 speed.

Your preference base on you need I guess.
Old 11-24-19, 09:45 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I began with a 1 speed, then later bought a RF3 Sturmey 3 speed wheel. Then I tried going with a 58/ 38 chain ring combo with greasy finger shifting. Could not stop there so I converted the one speed to two with 12/17 sprockets., retaining the 58/38 combo. I also tried a 58/38/24 combo with a 110 BCD crank, but the little chain ring caught when folding. I haven't yet managed to get another sprocket on either the Sturmey or the two speed hub, since the RF3 hub's driver is shorter than the wider range one found on Brompton 6 speeds. My conclusions to all this:
The 2 speed/2 chain ring set up is discernably lighter than the 3 speed at the cost of a manual shift and topping out at 77 gear inches. I use the smaller chain ring only for longer steep climbs which are not frequent where I ride. It would be nice to have something between 77 and 55 gear inches when on the 2 speed and 58 chain ring. So far I've found the 2 speed chain pusher to be trouble free, but since I began lubing the Sturmey with oil instead of grease it also works flawlessly although it does ooze oil a little bit. I don't like the tiny set screw that holds the cable on the chain pusher as I am afraid of stripping it, so I see switching back and forth from the 3 speed to the 2 to be a bit trickier. My pusher works with the cable clamp as part of the pusher instead of at the shifter end.