Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bartali Condorino? Please tell me about this!

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 02:21 PM
The 585

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I moved to Italy recently and desperately needed a bicycle to get around town. Wanted something more on the vintage end and ended up finding this Bartali Condorino. The owner didn't know any English so it was a little difficult to communicate, but it's over 40 years old, from the 1970's. Frame was repainted (and I'm not really a fan of the color) but the components seem to be in really good condition, plus I love the self-powered headlight and taillight.

Please check out the photos I've included and let me know anything you may know about this bicycle. I can provide additional photos if it may help. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-24-19, 05:11 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Gino Bartali was a famous cyclist". Bike appears to be 1960's to me. I love it. The lugs are very cool. Workmanship appears top notch. googled Bartali Condor and got several examples, all with upright bars, interesting. I would give it TLC and invest in a quality repaint. I'd go yellow.
Old 11-24-19, 07:16 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Bartali is a lot more than just a cyclist...he is righteous among the nations, and you should ride it proudly. I would love to ride a bike of bartali’s brand - the man is the best of us.

This is a man of honor, integrity, sacrifice, and love. Each of us should aspire to his heroism when/if confronted with what he saw.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 11-25-19, 04:31 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
-----

Hello again DLXXXV,

Congratulations on this very nice find.

Of much greater historical interest and quality than the Berga.

It is clearly somewhat earlier than stated by il venditore.

You asked for information regarding the machine -

Looks like 1950's or very early 1960's.

More about dating in regards to its fittings...

---

Frame -

constructed with Agrati "BRIANZA" pattern lugset nr. 000.8030/U

upper head lug is item nr. 000.8034

lower head lug is item nr. 000.8033

Malaguti style seat lug is item nr. 022.8039

fork crown is item nr. 000.8038

bottom bracket shell not shown well enough in images to identify;
would expect "BRIANZA" pattern with multiple cutouts

fork ends Agrati item nr. 000.8010

dropouts Agrati item nr. 000.8002

pump peg Agrati

chainstay stop Campag nr. 621

---

Fittings -

chainset with name of cycle marked could be from Agrati, Magistroni or Way-Assauto. leaning toward a Way-Assauto ID based on flute shape. contour of spindle end resembles that of Magistroni. the centre section of the bottom bracket spindle will likely be marked with the maker's name. Agrati produced a chainwheel of this exact pattern, although it is not unique to them. the five bolts which affix the chainwheel to the flange on the right arm thread in from the back and will have square heads.

headset: the OFMEGA locknut is a replacement. note condition of plating and lack of corrosion/scratches. compare it to the condition of the chrome plating on the cycle's stem/bar set. it may be that full headset is a replacement. original may have been a Magistroni with the name of the cycle marked. earliest OFMEGA marked cycle fittings begin ~1966 and cycle earlier than this.

saddle pillar appears it may be an early NITOR design.

forged seat binder collar appears a Magistroni product. does it exhibit the name of the bicycle?

chainguard looks to be a Mazzuchelli product. "blister" for clearance of a front mech an interesting feature.

pedals appear to be replacements. you may be able to read a name or symbol on their endcaps. would expect either WECO or Union. they are perfectly appropriate and plausible for the bike. originals may have been Agrati or Way-Assauto and may have been made with white rubbers.

Universal alloy sidepull brakes by Fratelli Pietra. name marked on inner face of levers a very nice feature.

welded condorino style stem & bar set may be from Varese, or possibly Schierano.

handgrips are REG (Rampinelli) Nr. 348.

the machine's Campag Sport model Nr. 1013/1 rear mech launched 1952. VB gives a production life for the Sport model mech of 1952-1957.

the FB - Campagnolo hubs are a helpful dating aid. 1950's current. you should find a specific date for them marked on the inner face of the axle locknuts.
the cycle's hubs and rear mech are two pieces which really bracket it to the 1950's time.

wheel rims, from what can be seen, appear they may be Maccari. before riding machine you will want to demount rear tyre so you can realign the valve stem.

spokes are Stella brand (Italy).

wondering if dynamo lighting system might be Aprilia; no hard information, not making an assertion.
one model of Aprilia dynamo of 1950's era shown here -
https://www.ebay.it/itm/Dinamo-dynam...IAAOSwTKJZejDW

a plausible frame pump for the cycle would be a Silca metal bodied one with a cast metal Silca head.
---

serial -

it appears previous owner brush painted frame directly over original finish. there is quite a bit of paint on there. may take some exploration to locate serial. possible that, if found, it may provide a dating clue...

---

replacement head emblem available here -

https://www.ebay.it/itm/stemma-fregi...wAAOSwZs1df7UN

replacement transfer sets available here -

https://www.ebay.it/itm/01006-Bartal...8AAOSwA29Y5WbS

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Gino-Bartali...QAAOSw4GVYLjSk

---

hope this has helped a bit. all best wishes with the machine!

-----

Last edited by juvela; 11-25-19 at 11:42 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-26-19, 07:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'd date this mid-1950s, assuming the components are OEM. As noted, the Sport rear derailleur first appeared in late 1952 for the 1953 model year. The brake calipers appear to the Universal 39, which were reportedly last marketed in 1955. Personally, I was leaning towards Magistroni of the crankset. I also thought that the hubs appeared to be the matching Campagnolo Sport hubs.

While not proprietary, that lugset had perhaps it's widest use by Torresini, who were best known for their Torpado brand. The two names that are routinely associated with 1950s Bartali bicycles are Santamaria and Fratelli Margherita.

This is a nice sample of a classic Condorino style bicycle, outside of the repaint. However, it's not what I'd want for a rider, if that is the OP's inclination. Those single pulley Sport derailleurs have a very limited range and the pivots wear quickly, leading to very poor shifting. For me, the Sport was a classic example of Campagnolo having taken one step backwards, after having taken two steps forward with the Gran Sport.
Old 11-27-19, 03:06 PM
The 585

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huge help, thanks for all the info guys! Great to hear some more background about the components and that it's even older than I had originally thought. I'm definitely interested in getting the frame repainted and replacing the head emblem and decals -- thanks for finding that info juvela!
Old 11-27-19, 03:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
Much, much nicer than your previous finds! Love the name, love the details. If this came up for sale here in my size, I'd have no hesitation.

Old 11-27-19, 03:50 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Much, much nicer than your previous finds! Love the name, love the details. If this came up for sale here in my size, I'd have no hesitation.

-----

And Heaven knows, non-fixie's N is simply far too small!

Saw a recent image of his living room and it looked like there were only six or so machines present. Hath this forum no standards for membership?!?!

All best to los tres amigos.

-----
Old 11-27-19, 04:11 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
Saw a recent image of his living room and it looked like there were only six or so machines present. Hath this forum no standards for membership?!?!
-----
That was just the camera angle.

Old 11-28-19, 08:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
....Saw a recent image of his living room and it looked like there were only six or so machines present. Hath this forum no standards for membership?!?! ....
If that was a legitimate requirement, I'd have been booted off the forum long ago.
Old 11-29-19, 02:21 PM
juvela

-----

Vintage Gino items here for those who may be interested -

paramanubrio: Bartali

https://www.ciclomuseo-bartali.it

https://chiantiginobartali.it/

-----

Last edited by juvela; 11-29-19 at 05:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-30-19, 11:18 AM
The 585

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again guys. Finding this bike has inspired me to learn the history of Gino Bartali -- truly an impressive man. I will enjoy riding this condorino around the streets of Italy for the next couple years... And can't wait to ship it back to the good ole USA for a long life after that!
Old 11-30-19, 03:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Good purchase- I really don't like the color, but it will probably fly under the radar.
Old 11-30-19, 03:12 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Congratulations! Well done.

Old 12-01-19, 01:08 PM
The 585

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bicycle is mechanically in great condition and rides well. However, the bad paint job is getting to me. Especially how even the lugs have been painted over. How much do you guys think a repaint would cost... or would there be a simple way to DIY the paint job?
Old 12-01-19, 06:23 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Instead of a new paint job you could try to clean up the existing paint. Remove the paint from the lugs (if there's chrome beneath), ad lug lining (gold paint pens work well), see if you can find a head badge and perhaps some decals, polish the rest of the paint for a bit of shine. But keep the 40+ year old, slightly distressed look.

Something like this:

Old 12-01-19, 08:39 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by The 585
The bicycle is mechanically in great condition and rides well. However, the bad paint job is getting to me. Especially how even the lugs have been painted over. How much do you guys think a repaint would cost... or would there be a simple way to DIY the paint job?
A high quality wet paint job could cost $500 to $750 and have a good chance of lowering the bike's value. Rattlecan paint tends to have durability issues, it takes a lot of work in preparation to do it right, and will likely lower the value as well.
Old 12-02-19, 02:32 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by wrk101
A high quality wet paint job could cost $500 to $750 and have a good chance of lowering the bike's value. Rattlecan paint tends to have durability issues, it takes a lot of work in preparation to do it right, and will likely lower the value as well.
Good points. If you are going to do a repaint, there's no way around the prep work. Get the old paint off, and make sure you've got a smooth and clean surface to start with.

I've done the rattlecan when I wanted a metallic paint finish, with reasonable success, but I have actually had more pleasing results with a brush. Much easier to work with, more paint on the bike itself, and better results: thicker paint, a deeper shine, and altogether a more convincing vintage look.

FWIW and YMMV.

Old 12-07-19, 02:14 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by The 585
-----

This post sounds as if you are considering going with the restoration route.

Since fork crown is chrome there is a good possibility that head lugs, fork blades and stays may have originally been chrome as well, as shown in non-fixie 's excellent photo.

This means you may wish to consider replating as well as painting...

In addition to searching a head emblem and transfer set, suggest you look for a Bartali marked headset. This is what is likely to have been on there originally prior to fitment of the present OFMEGA.

NOS rubber pedals from Agrati and Way-Assauto are available regularly on eBay Italia. A bow pattern with white rubbers would be appropriate.

-----