Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Carfree living is not a tribe, an identity, or a movement

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 01:04 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

This forum is not about a carfree identity, at least not for most of us. Actually, IMO there is no such thing as a carfree tribe, or even a carfree movement. There's just a few individuals who enjoy using cars less. We're just normal people who happen to enjoy driving less, and talking about our experiences along these lines with one another.

LCF is not about a movement or a tribal identity!

I used to drive, and now I don't drive. But I'm still the same person that I was when I drove. The only difference is that now I don't drive, and I enjoy talking about it.

I don't give a fig if you drive 10 million miles a week. You can drive to the moon and I would be very OK with it. But don't talk about your moon trip here because this forum is not about driving. It's about NOT DRIVING!

BTW, this is the only time/place that I talk about LCF. My friends and relatives aren't very interested in the subject. I'm just happy that the internet gives us a place where we can talk about these things that are of interest to really only a small section of the population.

And you do not have to be carfree 24/7, since carfree living is an experience, or set of experiences--not an identity that requires total devotion and purity. I LIVE carfree most of the time, but that doesn't mean I AM carfree. I AM the same person whether I'm in a car, bike, or walking!

This sounds pretty simple, but there are a good number of people here who just don't get it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-15-17, 05:37 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There are billions of people on this planet who don't drive. For a lot of them being able to buy a car and drive is their dream. A few live in urban areas where are car is as much of an encumbrance as it is useful.

I bet NYC has the most car free people in the US, but most of them don't bother to talk about it.
Old 07-15-17, 09:05 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
This forum is not about a carfree identity, at least not for most of us. Actually, IMO there is no such thing as a carfree tribe, or even a carfree movement. There's just a few individuals who enjoy using cars less. We're just normal people who happen to enjoy driving less, and talking about our experiences along these lines with one another.

I used to drive, and now I don't drive. But I'm still the same person that I was when I drove. The only difference is that now I don't drive, and I enjoy talking about it.

I don't give a fig if you drive 10 million miles a week. You can drive to the moon and I would be very OK with it. But don't talk about your moon trip here because this forum is not about driving. It's about NOT DRIVING!

BTW, this is the only time/place that I talk about LCF. My friends and relatives aren't very interested in the subject. I'm just happy that the internet gives us a place where we can talk about these things that are of interest to really only a small section of the population.

And you do not have to be carfree 24/7, since carfree living is an experience, or set of experiences--not an identity that requires total devotion and purity. I LIVE carfree most of the time, but that doesn't mean I AM carfree. I AM the same person whether I'm in a car, bike, or walking!

This sounds pretty simple, but there are a good number of people here who just don't get it.
I always appreciate your peaceful POV on this matter, Roody. Whenever people start pushing discussions in the directions of identity and status, you know it's for the sake of diminishing people for being less than 100% carfree, or to make stereotypes about carfree people, etc. The fact is that many people's minds are driven primarily by identity and status issues. They compete for pride and the spoils that come with social validation over others. So when they've adopted a cultural mindset that status is achieved by how good a car you drive, which is a symbol of how much income you have to pay for it, which supposedly corresponds to how hard a worker you are, etc. then it throws a monkey wrench in your gears to think that driving in general might not be the ultimate form of superiority, where the person with the best car(s) is the absolute winner of the status games.
Old 07-15-17, 11:21 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
There are billions of people on this planet who don't drive. For a lot of them being able to buy a car and drive is their dream. A few live in urban areas where are car is as much of an encumbrance as it is useful.

I bet NYC has the most car free people in the US, but most of them don't bother to talk about it.
But if they want to they can talk about it here. Or that is the supposed idea.
Old 07-15-17, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts

I used to drive, and now I don't drive. But I'm still the same person that I was when I drove. The only difference is that now I don't drive, and I enjoy talking about it. .....

I agree wholeheartedly.

Living car free is a personal choice (or not) made for any number or combination of reasons. They may be personal, political, financial, or whatever. The only thing that LCF folks have in common is the fact that they are LCF.

In fact, the OP and I have one less thing in common, in that I don't especially like talking about it. I simply don't consider LCF especially worthy of conversation. I talk about it when asked, but that's about it. I used to be more active here in the LCF forum because it's in my nature to try to solve problems, and I posted about that when apropos. But, the tribalism got to me and I moved to friendlier places.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-15-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 11:47 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
But if they want to they can talk about it here. Or that is the supposed idea.
It's especially good for the rare breed of masochist that thrive on being dismissed with sarcasm and personal ridicule
Old 07-15-17, 12:03 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironwood

Some people are carfree in an area where almost everybody drives everywhere. Maybe they grow up driving too but want to be carfree. This is a place they can find like minded people when otherwise it's a lonely lifestyle to figure out and most people think you're insane.
Old 07-15-17, 12:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Some people are carfree in an area where almost everybody drives everywhere.

I used to be car-free in an area where 99% of the population drives.

Originally Posted by Walter S
This is a place they can find like minded people when otherwise it's a lonely lifestyle to figure out and most people think you're insane.

This is the place for discussing alternative reality... Majority of normal car-free people and cyclists out there don't come and hang out in this place or this sub-forum, and for a good reason.... Judging by some of the topics, ideas and proposals posted and discussed by few regulars on this list, I don't think any normal car-free people have anything in common with some of the alternative reality scenarios being discussed on this forum.
Old 07-15-17, 02:01 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by wolfchild
This is the place for discussing alternative reality... Majority of normal car-free people and cyclists out there don't come and hang out in this place or this sub-forum, and for a good reason.... Judging by some of the topics, ideas and proposals posted and discussed by few regulars on this list, I don't think any normal car-free people have anything in common with some of the alternative reality scenarios being discussed on this forum.
You're always here and I assume you consider yourself normal. Since you're interested in LCF and have done it, why don't you start some threads or otherwise share your ideas?
Old 07-15-17, 03:44 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Good topic.

At one point, this subforum seemed distinct from Commuting and Utility Cycling because Commuting is about riding your bike to work, whether occasionally or all the time, Utility Cycling is about running errands and hauling things on a bike, whether occasionally or all the time, whereas LCF is about using a bicycle for transportation, either all the time or in conjunction with other options distinct from private vehicle ownership.

The information on this subforum was very helpful to me at that point. Likewise, I enjoyed reading about the experiences that people had while not driving - things you otherwise might not experience or notice.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I used to be more active here in the LCF forum because it's in my nature to try to solve problems, and I posted about that when apropos. But, the tribalism got to me and I moved to friendlier places.
Same here. Things started to get a bit too nasty for my taste, and I have little interest in discussing the pros and cons of cars. I like discussing bikes and how they can make your life better, and I "prefer to use alternative transportation...for everyday activities whenever possible."
Old 07-15-17, 07:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In fact, the OP and I have one less thing in common, in that I don't especially like talking about it. I simply don't consider LCF especially worthy of conversation. I talk about it when asked, but that's about it. I used to be more active here in the LCF forum because it's in my nature to try to solve problems, and I posted about that when apropos. But, the tribalism got to me and I moved to friendlier places.
Originally Posted by wipekitty

Same here. Things started to get a bit too nasty for my taste, and I have little interest in discussing the pros and cons of cars. I like discussing bikes and how they can make your life better, and I "prefer to use alternative transportation...for everyday activities whenever possible."
Interestingly, when I was car free, I rarely talked about it ... it was just something I did. It was the transportation choice that made the most sense then.

I'm car light now, and try "to use alternative transportation...for everyday activities whenever possible." and I'd prefer to hear more about what people are actually doing while being car light or car free ... especially if it relates to cycling.

Tell stories, post pictures ... make living car free or car light look attractively possible.
Old 07-15-17, 07:53 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Going cold turkey is hard to do... I am pretty sure 99% of the people on here want to "reduce" their car/vehicle dependence... BUT, the reason there are car threads on here IS, because there IS an In-Between step, most people NEED to take, because of society's fixation on car culture at the expense of everything else makes it difficult to swim up-stream... .

At least that is where I find myself struggling to reduce my car dependence...
Old 07-15-17, 07:56 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Old 07-15-17, 08:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Going cold turkey is hard to do... I am pretty sure 99% of the people on here want to "reduce" their car/vehicle dependence... BUT, the reason there are car threads on here IS, because there IS an In-Between step, most people NEED to take, because of society's fixation on car culture at the expense of everything else makes it difficult to swim up-stream... .

There's no need to explain, or at least not to me. But I don't believe that that many people want to reduce their car dependence. Of course, some are like yourself, but many others have found some equilibrium at some level and are comfortable with that.

IMO- the crux of the issue as regards ill feelings in this forum is the difference between a choice or status (ie car free or light) and a value judgement or goal that folks "should" strive for.

It's the difference between what we do and what we are.

I happen to be car free, but I don't identify as such. It's just a descriptive, like living in a house vs. an apartment, being self-employed vs having a job, or any of hundreds of things people do or don't do.

So, while I used to come here to discuss the reality of going car free, I'm not interested in the reasons that people do so, nor debate about the social consequences of doing so. In short, while I have some interest in the subject, I simply don't care enough about it to deal with the acrimony that pops up here so often.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-15-17, 08:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

When I was car-free I never boasted about my lifestyle as if it was some badge of honour or something. I just went about my own business and did what needed to be done on daily basis...Never discussed my car-free lifestyle with anybody unless somebody asked questions about it.
Old 07-15-17, 09:52 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

When I was car-free I never boasted about my lifestyle as if it was some badge of honour or something. I just went about my own business and did what needed to be done on daily basis...Never discussed my car-free lifestyle with anybody unless somebody asked questions about it.
What's your interest in the forum?
Old 07-17-17, 03:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

What's your interest in the forum?

To bust up some myths and misconceptions about living car-free which are preached by few self-righteous individuals on this list.
Old 07-17-17, 06:13 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

To bust up some myths and misconceptions about living car-free
Let's have a respectful thread on that topic - in fact, I'm going to start it.
Old 07-20-17, 12:40 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by 350htrr

I think you're smart and nice, but a little naive. Many of the car threads here are from people who wrongly believe that their automobile "tribe" is being attacked by people who want to be carfree or carlight. They feel threatened because they think their own tribe (motorists) is under some kind of attack.

Of course, as you can read on this thread and many others, most carfree people do not mean to attack or undermine others in any way. We just want the freedom to live our own lives as we see fit. That's not revolutionary exactly! And we, most of us, live perfectly ordinary lives in regards to everything BUT the transportation we choose.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-20-17, 12:54 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

That's exactly the same for me! And if you read the posts on this thread, you'll see that several others have said the same thing.

I have never even used the word "carfree" outside of this forum. I only started using it because that was the label that the bikeforums management came up with when they started this subforum. I have reasons to be carfree that work for me. But wanting to identify with some carfree tribe is not among those reasons. I don't see why you can't seem to understand this very simple fact. (For you are definitely one of the people I had in mind when I started this thread.)

BTW, if you have the email of the Carfree Tribe, please forward it to me. I don't want to join the tribe, but I bet it would be fun to party with them!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-20-17, 12:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

BTW, if you have the email of the Carfree Tribe, please forward it to me. I don't want to join the tribe, but I bet it would be fun to party with them!
You can contact them through their Facebook page ... don't forget to check their Events!
Old 07-20-17, 02:38 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
A few live in urban areas where are car is as much of an encumbrance as it is useful.
More than just a few, try a few million in any major city in China.

Yet, it is becoming an ever present status symbol, many people subconsciously make judgements about the kind of car you drive, and the lifestyle that may or may not live.

I feel sorry for those who become debt slaves in order to fit in with car culture.
Old 07-20-17, 11:33 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Machka
You can contact them through their Facebook page ... don't forget to check their Events!
All I can find is a Polish car rental company called Car Free
Old 07-20-17, 04:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

All I can find is a Polish car rental company called Car Free
Really? Huh ... maybe you've got to try a different search term or change a setting or something.
Old 07-20-17, 04:58 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Machka
Really? Huh ... maybe you've got to try a different search term or change a setting or something.
What is the search term?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.