Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Zwift - what's the deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Zwift - what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 05:47 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zwift - what's the deal?

I've seen a lot of references to it on here, so I went to their website (i suppose - https://zwift.com/) and can't make heads or tails of it. Is there a FAQ or For-Dummies version that tells what it is and how it works?

Kinda reminds me of the old Infintii ads, before you could actually buy one...
Old 10-09-17, 05:59 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
I've seen a lot of references to it on here, so I went to their website (i suppose - https://zwift.com/) and can't make heads or tails of it. Is there a FAQ or For-Dummies version that tells what it is and how it works?

Kinda reminds me of the old Infintii ads, before you could actually buy one...
Zwift is great!! Read this its a good read.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/zwift-turbo-trainer-game-171798
Old 10-09-17, 06:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's video game cycling. All you need to do it is a smartphone, a BT-capable speed sensor, and a dumb trainer, but the more stuff you have the throw at it, the more immersive the experience. I spent about a month on Zwift while sidelined with a broken hand. My bike has a power meter, so Zwift will use that to determine speed (from whatever w/kg derived algorithm it uses) and I just paired the PM and HRM to the Zwift app on my phone. After about a week of squinting at a phone screen, I got a $15 output cable off of Amazon and hooked it up to an old 32" TV.
If a Smart trainer is in your budget, the computer-controlled resistance makes it even better.

You're still sweating on a trainer, but Zwift proves to be a very effective distraction. I ended up doing 500 miles of it, doing Zwift 4-5 times a week-- which is impressive to me, as the best I can mentally survive on a regular training session is about 45 minutes 3 times a week. Added bonus for people (like me) who are motivated by such things: in the first week, you can pick up around 200 Strava PRs.
Old 10-09-17, 06:06 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's video game cycling. All you need to do it is a smartphone, a BT-capable speed sensor, and a dumb trainer, but the more stuff you have the throw at it, the more immersive the experience. I spent about a month on Zwift while sidelined with a broken hand. My bike has a power meter, so Zwift will use that to determine speed (from whatever w/kg derived algorithm it uses) and I just paired the PM and HRM to the Zwift app on my phone. After about a week of squinting at a phone screen, I got a $15 output cable off of Amazon and hooked it up to an old 32" TV.
If a Smart trainer is in your budget, the computer-controlled resistance makes it even better.

You're still sweating on a trainer, but Zwift proves to be a very effective distraction. I ended up doing 500 miles of it, doing Zwift 4-5 times a week-- which is impressive to me, as the best I can mentally survive on a regular training session is about 45 minutes 3 times a week. Added bonus for people (like me) who are motivated by such things: in the first week, you can pick up around 200 Strava PRs.
I've been looking at trainers that are Zwift compatible. Many of the trainers I've looked use the term "interactive" for the trainers that can produce resistance with the term "smart" used for those that collect the data to input into the app to give the estimates of power, speed, calories burned and such.