Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Lack of endurance energy on low carb plan...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Lack of endurance energy on low carb plan...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 10:24 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
What if you don't have any spare fat to burn? High carb, high fiber works for me.
Well, essentially everyone has spare fat to burn. But, if somehow, some person did reduce their fat to a critically low level (like a pro bodybuilder who's got a contest in the very near future) a few things would happen.
1. Your performance would take a nose-dive
2. You'd burn muscle for energy
3. You'd likely be at a real risk of dying if you bonked as you'd have nothing to fall back on

But, in general, even elite endurance athletes, who are obviously quite skinny, have enough excess fat on them to ride for hundreds of miles.
Old 11-14-19, 10:29 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Well, essentially everyone has spare fat to burn. But, if somehow, some person did reduce their fat to a critically low level (like a pro bodybuilder who's got a contest in the very near future) a few things would happen.
3. You'd likely be at a real risk of dying if you bonked as you'd have nothing to fall back on

But, in general, even elite endurance athletes, who are obviously quite skinny, have enough excess fat on them to ride for hundreds of miles.
Sounds like something that only fat people would risk. Not seeing the benefit for others.
Old 11-14-19, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
hmm yeah,, those guys are impressive, I couldn't do that.

But honeslty I don't really follow the "ultra endurace" scenes, and the only reason why I look it up is because in almost every discussion about diet, nutrition, and athletic performance,.. there is ALWAYS someone(s) from the keto world chiming in about how being fat-adapted (whatever that means) and ketosis would do very well in ultra endurance events,.. it's as if their claim to athletic legitimacy is ultra endurance.. and in the process they muddle the parameters of "athletic performance", talk about moving the athletic performance goal post. But ok, when I look up the ultra scenes, I find that in fact most of the fastest people there are in fact either on a high carb diet, some mix diet, or completely vegans,.. and those who are on the keto diet.. would need a relatively huge injection of carbohydrates during their competitive run. Yeah, keto this, keto that,.. then carbs for competitive runs. So why even bother with keto when vegans and non-keto people have run the Appalachian Trail and others similar feats at impressive times equating or surpassing most guys on keto diet? Why bother with keto and lose the high intensity performance part of life? not to mention following a very restrictive diet?

The bottomline is very simple, humans have evolved with 2 very sophisticated ways of metabolizing fuels (ie, fat and carbohydrate metabolism pathways), if you take away any of those fuel sources, then performance is bound to be affected. This is all over the literature: no carbs, no performance. No human population has been shown to be in ketosis, not the Eskimos, not the Maasai, no one. But apparently in the Western Hemisphere, there is an enclave of ketosis from mostly rich well-to-do white'ish middle-ish class? (with research sponsored by the meat and dairy associations). For the rest of the world, carbohydrates are still the preferred choice of food (for many reasons, one of which is economic).

I personally don't like to use the ultra events in my discussions of athletic performance though. Reason is when using such events, I would have to look at the breadth of competition, and to be honest, competitions in these events are almost nonexisting, and anyone, you and I, all know that when competition is lacking, then so is the quality of performance we see from it. It sounds like i'm diminishing the achievements of participants in these events, which I'm not. Don't like to be accused of moving the athletic performance goal post!
I have a friend who does 50 mile trail runs. She uses nonfat milk and dessert is usually oatmeal with berries. Vegetables for lunch and dinner, lots of rice, etc.
Old 11-14-19, 11:11 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile

Aka skinny fat. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean lean.
Old 11-14-19, 01:48 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Go back and read the article you linked more carefully and see if it matches up with your summary, or better yet read the actual article its referencing https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.c....1113/JP273230

right, I read the article above, and it matches exactly with what I've been saying. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my explanations? Like I said I'm not an exercise physiologist and don't claim expertise in this field, just here for a casual internet discussion.

So here are the key points from the article above:

Key points
  • Three weeks of intensified training and mild energy deficit in elite race walkers increases peak aerobic capacity independent of dietary support.
  • Adaptation to a ketogenic low carbohydrate, high fat (LCHF) diet markedly increases rates of whole‐body fat oxidation during exercise in race walkers over a range of exercise intensities.
  • The increased rates of fat oxidation result in reduced economy (increased oxygen demand for a given speed) at velocities that translate to real‐life race performance in elite race walkers.
  • In contrast to training with diets providing chronic or periodised high carbohydrate availability, adaptation to an LCHF diet impairs performance in elite endurance athletes despite a significant improvement in peak aerobic capacity.
And it's what I've been saying, or wanting to.
People on a high fat will use more fat as fuel substrate, and their body has up-regulated the fat metabolism machinery (eg, enzymes, transports, etc). Of course their rate of fat metabolism will be high.
It's just like people on a high carb (HC) diet will up-regulate the carbohydrate machinery, and of course their rate of carb metabolism will be high.

But the question when it comes to athletic "performance" is, which is more efficient, or economical, when it comes to utilizing oxygen? The ability to burn more grams of fat per minute (rate of fat utilization) does not equate to exercise economy (which is important for performance). And the above article (and many other articles in this field) states that carbs are require to be more economical at using oxygen, especially when the exercise effort starts to go over 70%+ of Vo2max.

A person on a LCHF diet will be predominately be forced to rely on fats as fuel, but fat oxidation is a slow process, and when exercise intensity changes, he will still can only rely on fat as his primary source of fuel, and this hurts his economy at higher Vo2max efforts. A person on a HC diet is more flexible fuel source, he still can use fat as fuel as the lower exercise efforts (40-60% vo2max) and then switch to more reliance on carbohydrate as fuel as exercise intensity increases, and this makes the HC more efficient at using the available oxygen. Yes, the HC person will use less fat as fuel when compared to a LCHF person at a certain vo2max% effort; the HC person is using a mixture of fat and carbs, but the HC person is actually more economical at using the available oxygen.

Bottomline is that the person who uses both fats and carbs as fuel sources are the best at optimizing his available oxygen, ESPECIALLY at intensity above 70% vo2max.

Just about the only claim to fame that the LCHF group has left is the "ultra events", saying that their fat-adaptation allows them to run ultra marathons with boundless energy. And as I have shown just by googling, there are in fact MANY record holders in ultra marathon events who are eating/living the HC diet life. At this point, can you give me a good reason why anyone interested in performance, from 1 hr bike ride, to 4 hr, to ultra events, should be going keto at all? All evidence show that a HC diet is more flexible, allows high intensity performance, all the way up to ultra events. (And I have not mentioned about the restrictive nature of staying on a keto diet yet).

Last edited by aclinjury; 11-14-19 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 02:07 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Aka skinny fat. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean lean.
No. Just skinny. It's pretty rare to see an elite endurance athlete with a high BF%.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 11-14-19, 09:56 PM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have a friend who does 50 mile trail runs. She uses nonfat milk and dessert is usually oatmeal with berries. Vegetables for lunch and dinner, lots of rice, etc.
I was looking at RAAM (Race Across America) as it's one of the more prestigious ultra events in the world. The distance is equivalent to the Tour de France, but RAAM racers do it in 7-8 days, while the Tour guys do it in 3 weeks. So basically, RAAM guys ride day and night, only to get off the bike to sleep and go poo poo.
The dominant guy has been Christopher Strasser, winning 6 of the last 9 years, and the last 3 recent consecutive years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Across_America

His nutrition for the entire race? A boatload of.... carbs!
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

My nutrition plan for RAAM is very easy: It contains liquids only, the carbohydrate/electrolyte drink "Hi End Energizer" from GS Food Sporternährung and the fully bilanced nutrition "Ensure Plus" from Abb.ott.
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

And his training regimen? He does high intensity training in addition to endurance training. So even in an ultra endurance event, high intensity training is important for performance. And you can only do quality high intensity training if you use carbs.
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/inter...toph-strasser/

So yeah, carb the f* up!

Last edited by aclinjury; 11-14-19 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 11:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I was looking at RAAM (Race Across America) as it's one of the more prestigious ultra events in the world. The distance is equivalent to the Tour de France, but RAAM racers do it in 7-8 days, while the Tour guys do it in 3 weeks. So basically, RAAM guys ride day and night, only to get off the bike to sleep and go poo poo.
The dominant guy has been Christopher Strasser, winning 6 of the last 9 years, and the last 3 recent consecutive years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Across_America

His nutrition for the entire race? A boatload of.... carbs!
https://www.facebook.com/christophst...6587005731697/

https://www.facebook.com/christophst...6587005731697/

And his training regimen? He does high intensity training in addition to endurance training. So even in an ultra endurance event, high intensity training is important for performance. And you can only do quality high intensity training if you use carbs.
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/inter...toph-strasser/

So yeah, carb the f* up!
It is said that RAAM is not a bike race. Rather it's an eating contest. One can only ride the calories that one eats on a multi-day race like this. All of the ultras are like that, starting with the Furnace Creek 508. An acquaintance of mine once won the 508 in ~24 hours, consuming 19 bottles of Ensure and a whole lotta other liquid calories. It's all about moving the calories across the stomach wall, and nothing's faster than liquid carbs. My friend's diet was OK on the 508, but on RAAM he ate some real food, still mostly carbs. Ensure Plus is 14% fat. You need fat, too. I consume a mostly liquid diet on the bike, even on 40 mile rides. That works best for me.

The bananas guy has a point.
Old 11-15-19, 12:10 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Keto is tough for me for extended or endurance performance. That being said, for overall explosiveness, strength, skill sports I am so much better keto than any other way.

Basketball, flag football, kickball, boxing, etc are all better for me when I am low carb. Even my sprinting while cycling is better. My ability to retain lean muscle and maintain a consistent weight are also better when I am in ketosis. Active or not.

I believe that some people's body's are set up for low carb better than others.

Also, I have noticed a lot of low carbers still carb load for endurance. Ideally, fat would still be fuel. Towards the end of summer I was having better endurance results when I was fasting and exercising, then taking in nutrients pre and post workout.

Be sure everyone is listening to their bodies, low carb or not.
Old 11-15-19, 12:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Keto is tough for me for extended or endurance performance. That being said, for overall explosiveness, strength, skill sports I am so much better keto than any other way.

Basketball, flag football, kickball, boxing, etc are all better for me when I am low carb. Even my sprinting while cycling is better. My ability to retain lean muscle and maintain a consistent weight are also better when I am in ketosis. Active or not.

I believe that some people's body's are set up for low carb better than others.

Also, I have noticed a lot of low carbers still carb load for endurance. Ideally, fat would still be fuel. Towards the end of summer I was having better endurance results when I was fasting and exercising, then taking in nutrients pre and post workout.
This is true ONLY if you're from a planet other than Earth. Either you're greatly illusioned or just making out-and-out false statements. I assure you there is no "explosive" related to the word keto.

Be sure everyone is listening to their bodies, low carb or not.
Hopefully, you will take your own advice and reassess your body's true functions -- and never make a statement like this again.
Old 11-15-19, 04:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62

You must be 1 in a million genetic anomaly, or you're just talking ****....Any type of explosive activity is going to require carbs for 99.9% of the people...Show me one world class explosive athlete such as Olympic weight lifter, track sprinter, martial artists, boxer, shot putter, gymnast etc who has won competition while in ketosis.
Old 11-15-19, 07:41 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It is said that RAAM is not a bike race. Rather it's an eating contest. One can only ride the calories that one eats on a multi-day race like this. All of the ultras are like that, starting with the Furnace Creek 508. An acquaintance of mine once won the 508 in ~24 hours, consuming 19 bottles of Ensure and a whole lotta other liquid calories. It's all about moving the calories across the stomach wall, and nothing's faster than liquid carbs. My friend's diet was OK on the 508, but on RAAM he ate some real food, still mostly carbs. Ensure Plus is 14% fat. You need fat, too. I consume a mostly liquid diet on the bike, even on 40 mile rides. That works best for me.

The bananas guy has a point.
right. I don't know how those guys down liquids like that, it's almost like drinking liquid cookies. Requires a lot of stomach training do absorb that. Carbs will definitely get to the muscles quicker than fats, and in the case to glucose, it can go from intestine to blood to muscles directly (about 15 minutes) without having to go thru the liver
Old 11-15-19, 08:09 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You must be 1 in a million genetic anomaly, or you're just talking ****....Any type of explosive activity is going to require carbs for 99.9% of the people...Show me one world class explosive athlete such as Olympic weight lifter, track sprinter, martial artists, boxer, shot putter, gymnast etc who has won competition while in ketosis.
believe it or not, 8 years ago, I once experiment with keto diet for a month after reading about all the "magical properties of ketones" from a bunch of lowcarb blogosphere and youtube channels. I even read a lot of peer-reviewd (though very biased) research studies from the lowcarb academia (99% of those research sponsored by Atkin Foundation, mill, cheese, diary, meat, egg, and even fish industries, hundreds of millions dollars by the industry sponsoring gun-for-hire academia to publish favorable research findings and they could do this by skewing protocols easily). I read articles from prominent keto figures at the times like Gary Taubes, Peter Attia (who has since quit his keto diet), Jeff Volek, etc. Yeah,... I was skeptical, but I wanted to give keto diet a try anyway so that when people ask me "have you tried it", I can say yes I did and not be called out for talking shhh.

and yes, I did go into ketosis, breadth smell like ketones, every try to breathe into your hand and smell your breadth in the morning? yup, smell similar. For daily routine, i'm ok, i work as an engineer so ability to think is important, for low level thinking it's ok, but shhh when in high stress situation demanding quick brain thinking, i felt slow. Exercise wise at the gym, as long as my workout is short, i'm ok, because there is still some glycogen in the muscles (from protein sources). But forget about these 1 hour of heavy lifting session, no way. On the bike, I could do zone 1-2 for 4 hours without eating a thing on the bike and with the last meal last night. And at zone 1-2, you ride by yourself a lot because the guys will quickly drop you on any climb longer than 1 mile @ 5%, and if you try to hammer with them then it's lights out for you.

Basically after 1 month, i called it quit, and came to the conclusion that this keto stuff wan't for high intensity. At steady state zone 1-2, yes, high intensity,no. But, we've seen that plenty of ultra athletes are in fact not on keto diet.
And did I mention how strict this diet is? Go watch youtube, it's always about butter, bacon, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, and bullet coffee! Yea, you'll need a few coffee to start the morning, sort of like kickstart the brain out of its own ketosis. My house smell like a restaurant due to all the oily smell from the cooking. And going to the toilet? yeah, let's just say I had my rock hard moments.

at this point, it's unfathomable to me why would anyone who's interested in sport performance would do the keto thing.

There are legit medical reasons for doing keto, like people with carbohydrate metabolism deficiency in the brain (eg, epileptic patients, so they can't use glucose efficiently as normal people can, so ketones serving as an additional source of energy will help their brain control the seizures), or people with pyruvate dehydrogenase issue (again, these people cannot process carbs due to a medical condition). But outside of some folks with medical conditions, a keto diet just isn't meant for regular folks. Folks who go on keto and lose weight (not all do) attribute it to something magical, when in fact it's just calorie restriction, lose weight by creating a caloric deficit, basic biology stuff.

Last edited by aclinjury; 11-15-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-15-19, 11:21 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
*sigh* I love how the medical professionals here tell me what works for me.

My anaerobic performance, strength and explosion related exercises and recovery is all aided and better for myself when I am in ketosis.

Yes, there are non fat adapted athletes who also supplement with ketones because they are excellent for muscle health and recovery.

But you internet MDS please tell me what works best for me. I appreciate the open discussion aspect of this thread.

Again ymmv. Do what is best for yourself and your own body.
Old 11-15-19, 12:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Anaerobic = carbs are the main fuel source.
Old 11-15-19, 12:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
OTOH, the study above which some of us have been referencing showed that glycogen storage was about the same in LC athletes who'd been in ketosis for a couple years as it was for HC athletes. Now, the study definition of LC did include some carbs, however IIRC the source of the glycogen was not discussed. If this is prevalent then it's easy to see how short duration strength athletes might be able to do fine.

Here's a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30335720
Old 11-15-19, 01:22 PM
aclinjury

OTOH, the study above which some of us have been referencing showed that glycogen storage was about the same in LC athletes who'd been in ketosis for a couple years as it was for HC athletes. Now, the study definition of LC did include some carbs, however IIRC the source of the glycogen was not discussed. If this is prevalent then it's easy to see how short duration strength athletes might be able to do fine.

There are few things I would ask about he study:
1) How do we know that these guys are in ketosis? Eating a ketogenic diet doesn't mean you're body will go into ketosis.

2) The study doesn't state clearly what exactly is their protein intake is. Study states:
"..ad libitum LCKD (≤50 g or ≤10% daily intake of carbohydrates).."
this could also mean that athletes are eating ad libitum a lot of protein too (which would mean they wouldn't be in ketosis). And since this study is not a metabolic ward type, we can't be sure if participants are strictly following the diet. In fact, the majority of participant in these of "voluntary" studies fail to follow prescribed diet protocols at home.
A lot of people say they eat keto when in fact it's more like Atkins.

3) These pro lifters are on dopes? and whatever else supplements? These are great confounding factors IMO, especially for strength sports.

IMO, for lifting, short-term strength sport athlete using "keto" like diet for targeting weightloss is ok. They're not doing it long term. Muscle on roids can be keep its mass for a while, no matter the diet!

Last edited by aclinjury; 11-15-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-15-19, 01:36 PM
aclinjury

https://peterattiamd.com/ketosis-adv...-state-part-i/

Now here's an interesting personal blog from Peter Attia (an MD), a once prominent and voracious advocate of ketogenic diet. I remember when I first started my keto experiment, Attia's orginal 2012 blog was what got me experiment (because he was an MD, had great biochemistry knowledge, and methodical in his explanation, and that lent credentials). I remember Attia and Gary Taubes were talking about getting funding from a Texas billioniare to establish some sort of foundation to fund research to prove that the keto diet is the real deal. This was back in 2009-2012.

But during 2011-2012, Attia himself was starting to waiver form the diet. And by 2014, he was out of the diet.

Now in 2018 (in his blog), he seems to be saying that he understands less about keto today and his conficence in his knowledge of ketogenic has decreased. However, he doesn't outright say that ketogenic is bad, he merely says that it's not for him anymore. Now this is from an MD, with great knowledge in biochemistry and science.

Nowaday, I Attia is more into the science of "longevity" than nutritional diet. But I attribute that to "moving on and trying new things in life", eh?
Old 11-15-19, 03:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

The study said they were ingesting carbs.. Did they even go into actual ketosis ??...Low-carb and ketogenic isn't the same thing.
Old 11-15-19, 03:16 PM
OBoile

IMO, for lifting, short-term strength sport athlete using "keto" like diet for targeting weightloss is ok. They're not doing it long term. Muscle on roids can be keep its mass for a while, no matter the diet!
Yeah. Lifting doesn't really burn a lot of calories and thus doesn't require a large reserve of carbs to do. When I was doing PL, I'd go low carb (but certainly not to the extreme of the Keto diet) to lose weight before a contest with no detriment to my lifting performance.
Old 11-15-19, 11:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

believe it or not, 8 years ago, I once experiment with keto diet for a month after reading about all the "magical properties of ketones" from a bunch of lowcarb blogosphere and youtube channels.
I have a friend who's been doing keto for a while but she can't use The Force to choke people, so I don't really see the point.
Old 11-16-19, 08:30 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have a friend who's been doing keto for a while but she can't use The Force to choke people, so I don't really see the point.
yeah, for endurance sport, mitochondria is key as they are the energy factories
1. mitochondria density, the more the better, and this is accomplish by long-slow endurance training
2. mitochondria size, ie, increase the size of each mitochondria and thus this will increase its capacity to produce ATPs. For this, you need high intensity training.

People doing the keto diet can only accomplish #1 and miss the boat on #2 a lot.

And then they also miss glycolysis, which itself also feeds pyruvate into the Krebs cycle which then feeds into oxidative phosphorylation (Ox-phos is what generate the huge amount of ATPs). Krebs and ox-phos take place inside mitochondria, that is why both the number and size of mitochondria are both important for optimal energy (ATP) production. All this is basic and well established physiology stuff. Take away glycolysis (when you're in ketosis), you take away pyruvate feeding into the ox-phos, you lose performance.

Now people in long-term ketosis will have ketones being fed into the Krebs cycle, and this will partially offset some of the loss of pyruvate. However, it seems that the use of ketones as fuel source cannot compensate for the loss of glycolysis. And this has manifested itself in the form of attenuated ability to exercise at high intensity (above 70% vo2max) for people in true ketosis. All this is pretty well established both from the biochemistry side and the real-world observation of athletic performance.

Last edited by aclinjury; 11-16-19 at 08:40 AM.