Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Peugeot 1987 City Express 18.5" lady's bike

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 02:54 PM
tmg7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have a Peugeot City Express Women's Bike, bought in April 1987, so it could be 1986, don't know. If it matters, I could look up the serial number. It's 18 1/2" Blue, 26" wheel size (original). Shimano gears, 10-speed, quick release front tire and seat. Fenders, kickstand, pump and back wheel rack added.

The tires actually do still hold air, surprisingly, despite being the originals.

Not used very much, maybe a couple of dozen times, stored indoors.

Trying to get an idea of how much to charge locally for it. It was originally bought for $280 (yes, I have the receipt after all these years).

Thanks for any help you might give!

I guess I'm not allowed to post a photo until I have 10 posts.
Old 11-19-19, 04:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Depending where you live, $50 to $100 max. Tires may hold air, but at 33 years old, I would not trust them personally. Serial number has ZERO bearing on the value.

To sell locally, you will need a well written ad with great pictures of the bike (drive side) with a neutral background, preferably outdoors.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 11-21-19, 04:30 PM
tmg7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Depending where you live, $50 to $100 max. Tires may hold air, but at 33 years old, I would not trust them personally. Serial number has ZERO bearing on the value.

To sell locally, you will need a well written ad with great pictures of the bike (drive side) with a neutral background, preferably outdoors.
Thanks for your reply. I figured as much, but was hoping it might be worth more. Would the 50-100 be with new tires, or with the old ones. One bike place, without seeing the bike, said it would probably be about $40 for new tires, so it makes a difference.
Old 11-21-19, 08:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by tmg7
Thanks for your reply. I figured as much, but was hoping it might be worth more. Would the 50-100 be with new tires, or with the old ones. One bike place, without seeing the bike, said it would probably be about $40 for new tires, so it makes a difference.

As long as the tires hold air, I'd sell it as is, tires pumped up and the bike cleaned. I am not talking of hours of cleaning, more like 30 minutes or less, with soapy water, a hose and a brush. I would disclose the tires are old. Not knowing where you live, I would try asking $100. You might get it!

Now where I live, the co op sells used tires for $2 and up. So I have used these tires to replace dry rotted ones. I also end up with tires from part outs. I end up donating far more tires to the co op than I buy. Ditto tubes.

If you buy tires at a local shop on a bike you plan to sell, you will be lucky to cover the price of the tires. So I wouldn't do it.