Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70/71 Raleigh Professional Mark II

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 07:04 AM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 79 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
70/71 Raleigh Professional Mark II

Hello All,

I recently came across a Mark II and was curious on what people might pay for it. Of the research I have done, there were only a little over 500 made so that tells me its rare but is it sought after? It has original brakes, head set, skewers( straight blade ), pedals, that are all campy record. The drivetrain was replaced with a more modern triple crank for touring europe but the bike never made it overseas. Frame is about a 7.5 out of ten. All original decals. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 11-22-19, 07:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Rarity doesn't matter much. Consider the value of a Chicago built Paramount. They made a lot of them over the years. High end, high quality components, and great cosmetics (paint and decals) all matter. Missing original crankset hurts. Without pictures no idea. But you can search completed auctions on ebay that SOLD and compare your bike's condition to one of those. Don't worry about exact year. Local sales will not garner ebay prices, maybe 50%, maybe less.

On rarity I always use the Ford Mustang comparison to the Rambler Marlin. In the first two years, Ford made over 1 million Mustangs. Meanwhile, Rambler made less than 15,000 Marlins. The fastback Marlin could be had with a nice 327cubic inch motor, 4 barrel carb, etc. It had pretty good performance for that era. One is worth 2 1/2 times the other. Guess which one? Hint, its not the Rambler.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-22-19 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 11:50 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...IIRC, the Mark II was the same frame design (and components) as the Mark IV, just rolled out earlier. There are some nice photos and a voluminous description of one on the Raleigh Pro history page at Sheldon Brown.com. So given the rather easy availability of the Mark IV bikes (I'm in the process of repainting one right now), I'm not sure the Mark II qualifies as "rare" exactly.

Anyway, what @wrk101 said about the component switch is applicable to value. But if you're interested in making it more "original", the New Record components that were removed are not all that rare or difficult to come by. It just takes you back into a more limited gear range territory.