Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need help to ID

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Need help to ID

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 09:50 AM
Kiss4aFrog

Bikes: older Murray 10 spd mountain

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need help to ID

Curious who the manufacturer of this tandem is. I tried to match it up with other tandem photos but don't see anything like it. I have no background in tandems but seeing a gear cluster on each crank stuck out to me.
Any info would be appreciated.

Old 11-26-19, 09:44 PM
Kiss4aFrog

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bump

Old 11-27-19, 10:51 AM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
The multiple chainrings in front would suggest that this is either a homemade tandem built from non-tandem parts.
Or they damaged/lost the original front cranks and replaced it with a non-tandem crankset from a single bike.

Either way they didn't bother to remove the extra chainrings which are pointless on the captains crank in front.
Additionally there is an odd chain tensioner rather than an eccentric front bracket. Cannot tell if that is home made or not.

Are you looking to purchase this tandem?
If so I would ask for the full history on the bike as well as the serial number which is normally stamped on the bottom bracket shell. That might give you some clues as to make/model/year.
Likes For unikid:
Old 11-27-19, 11:14 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
That's a home-made tandem. It most likely started as two department store bikes. Someone joined the two frames and added the boom tube. Tandems like this tend to be laterally flexible to the point of being scary or dangerous. The stoker compartment is significantly shorter than on any modern tandem, so it won't be comfortable for most adult stokers. I would steer clear at any price.
Likes For OneIsAllYouNeed:
Old 11-27-19, 11:48 AM
Kiss4aFrog

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes I was thinking of purchasing it because it was so cheap. I have the original (larger) photo from the ad and now that you've mentioned it might be homemade I'm sure it is. I used my photo editor to enlarge it and look it over more closely. WOW
They did a really poor job of joining the two frames together. At the captain's crank going backwards they just cut the tube and then left 1/4-1/2" of tube split and slid the stokers section in. Just as nasty at the top as they apparently didn't grind or even sand down the joints.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...007853765.html
Thanks for the warning.
Likes For Kiss4aFrog:
Old 11-27-19, 01:06 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Here, this bike usually retails at Walmart at $250 - $275 assembled and ready to roll. Nobody's Craigslist Frankenbike is going to touch this thing with an Olympic 8 Person Crew Oar. We've had two in our lives and enjoyed them both. They get the job (of getting into tandeming) done.
Old 11-27-19, 03:41 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Agreed-

No need to buy a Frankenbike. Tandems are not things to take a chance with. If you do continue searching on CL and are patient you can likely find some name brand tandems like KHS, Raleigh or Trek at a similar price point.
Here in SoCal I can usually find a handful in that range at any given time. Here are some examples for sale right now in the 26" size:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...009131268.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...012053101.html

And one in 700c size:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...010496340.html

All of these have been sitting for several weeks. Most likely due to poor pictures, wrong descriptions, etc. It's amazing how little people know about what they are actually selling.
Always research the bike on line and don't rely on their description. You may find that what they are selling is much better than what they've described it as. Or vice versa.

Armed with the right information and a little patience you should be able to land a good deal.

Good luck!