Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Official Carryme Owners QA Thread (tips, tricks, fixes, mods, etc)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Official Carryme Owners QA Thread (tips, tricks, fixes, mods, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 09:35 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
A customer of mine is enjoying his rental Carryme so much he was inspired to make a video.

He is here on a short-term work assignment and uses the bike daily for commuting to work. He was looking for a bike that would be easy to bring aboard trains and he says the bike helps him to make the most of his free time while exploring.
Old 01-19-12, 10:01 AM
Folding-Bikes

Bikes: Pacific-Reach SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thats awesome Owenfinn! Good customers like that really brighten your day

How is the rental business going? wish they were as open minded about small wheels over here in London, much more fun than Boris Bikes.

Juan
Old 05-25-12, 06:03 PM
spunkyj

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello CarryMe Gurus! I'm thinking about buying a used CarryMe for air travel. Is there a way to tell the old (smaller) CarryMe model from the newer "D" model from pictures? On the CarryMe website the only single speed model I see is a "SD" and I assume this is a "D" model. The one I can get used looks like the model pictured here:
https://ubicycle.wordpress.com/2009/0...peed/#more-301

Would this be an older/smaller model? At 180 cm, and a 33" pants inseam will this be too small? Could I simply install a longer seatpost?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-06-12, 11:18 AM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another (perhaps easier?) question and and update. First on the update.

I think I'm pretty sold on buying a new CarryMe model to take around traveling. It will be my first folding bike, and I think I have reasonable expectations. I'm still a bit concerned with size, but the seatpost, "extension stem" and saddle appear to be easily swapped for more layback and reach.

Now here's the question.

What is the size of the "Extension Stem" on the CarryMe if I wanted to swap it for a longer one? I think I will buy the CarryMe overseas and I'd like to buy a longer stem ahead of time to play with the fit. The pacific website doesn't seem to list the steerer (1 in or 1 1/8 in ?) or clamp diameter (25.4? 26? 31.8?) of the "extension stem". Has anyone tried a longer stem, and does it adversely affect the handling?
Old 06-07-12, 03:33 AM
rain13

Bikes: Tikit, CarryMe, Frog 16

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spunkyj
Here's another (perhaps easier?) question and and update. First on the update.

I think I'm pretty sold on buying a new CarryMe model to take around traveling. It will be my first folding bike, and I think I have reasonable expectations. I'm still a bit concerned with size, but the seatpost, "extension stem" and saddle appear to be easily swapped for more layback and reach.

Now here's the question.

What is the size of the "Extension Stem" on the CarryMe if I wanted to swap it for a longer one? I think I will buy the CarryMe overseas and I'd like to buy a longer stem ahead of time to play with the fit. The pacific website doesn't seem to list the steerer (1 in or 1 1/8 in ?) or clamp diameter (25.4? 26? 31.8?) of the "extension stem". Has anyone tried a longer stem, and does it adversely affect the handling?
Hi spunkyj,
I think the Pacific site gives out pretty much most of the spec of CarryMe, such as 1 1/8" threaded headset, 110mm 17° stem, and the stem clamp has standard 25.4 diameter (I've changed mine to a bullhorn, for longer reach).
The problem with longer stem/handlebar, in my opinion, is the flex on the handlepost seems a bit more. I could lower the handlepost, but then the riding position is a bit more uncomfortable for me.

Old 06-07-12, 08:24 AM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rain13
Hi spunkyj,
I think the Pacific site gives out pretty much most of the spec of CarryMe, such as 1 1/8" threaded headset, 110mm 17° stem, and the stem clamp has standard 25.4 diameter (I've changed mine to a bullhorn, for longer reach).
The problem with longer stem/handlebar, in my opinion, is the flex on the handlepost seems a bit more. I could lower the handlepost, but then the riding position is a bit more uncomfortable for me.
Thanks for the response and photo! I did see the information about the 1 1/8" threaded headset on the Pacific website, but I didn't automatically assume that this meant a 1 1/8 in diameter where the extension stem clamps on, so thanks for the verification. Also, thanks for the 25.4 inch handlebar clamp size, which wouldn't have been obvious to me (would be something for Pacific, if they ever read this, to add to their spec sheet).

Do your bullhorn bars fold down?
Old 06-08-12, 03:50 AM
rain13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response and photo! I did see the information about the 1 1/8" threaded headset on the Pacific website, but I didn't automatically assume that this meant a 1 1/8 in diameter where the extension stem clamps on, so thanks for the verification. Also, thanks for the 25.4 inch handlebar clamp size, which wouldn't have been obvious to me (would be something for Pacific, if they ever read this, to add to their spec sheet).

Do your bullhorn bars fold down?
Nope, the bullhorn stays that way, that's why I am thinking about reverting back to the stock handlebar because the bullhorn really gets in the way when folded (small office space).
Old 06-11-12, 08:28 AM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: OD of "steerer" AND handlebar diameter both 25.4 mm (directly from Pacific)

***UPDATE: wrong information in above posts***

I emailed Pacific, and the information directly from them is that the outer diameter (OD) of the steerer (high rise stem) and of the handlebars are 25.4 mm. The person who emailed me said to "ignore the 1 1/8 in threaded" specification, as that only applies to where the stem enters the headtube.

So, in order to replace the stem on a Pacific CarryMe, a 1 inch threadless stem with a 25.4 mm clamp is required. The rep from Pacific also informed me that it was fine to use a 130 mm stem and that it should not adversely affect the bike's handling. Hope this helps anyone looking to do a stem swap for extra cockpit length.
Old 06-11-12, 10:49 AM
rain13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
***UPDATE: wrong information in above posts***

I emailed Pacific, and the information directly from them is that the outer diameter (OD) of the steerer (high rise stem) and of the handlebars are 25.4 mm. The person who emailed me said to "ignore the 1 1/8 in threaded" specification, as that only applies to where the stem enters the headtube.

So, in order to replace the stem on a Pacific CarryMe, a 1 inch threadless stem with a 25.4 mm clamp is required. The rep from Pacific also informed me that it was fine to use a 130 mm stem and that it should not adversely affect the bike's handling. Hope this helps anyone looking to do a stem swap for extra cockpit length.
Thank you for clearing that up, it's kinda hard to get accurate information when even the official website is wrong

And did you noticed that when you install the rear rack, you cant roll the bike anymore when folded? The roller wheel is too small and the rear rack is basically rendering them useless. I've emailed Pacific regarding this matter and they suggesting me to put bigger wheels (which I did, but only to partially solved the issue, I can now roll it when folded but only at certain uncomfortable angle).

A bit weird to make accesory only to cause one of the main feature (the ability to roll when folded) useless.
Old 06-12-12, 01:02 AM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And did you noticed that when you install the rear rack, you cant roll the bike anymore when folded? The roller wheel is too small and the rear rack is basically rendering them useless. I've emailed Pacific regarding this matter and they suggesting me to put bigger wheels (which I did, but only to partially solved the issue, I can now roll it when folded but only at certain uncomfortable angle).

A bit weird to make accessory only to cause one of the main feature (the ability to roll when folded) useless.
I haven't bought my CarryMe yet, but its disappointing to hear the that the rack design on the 2010+ models is not allowing the bike to roll properly. It seems to me that there have been great reviews of the rear rack and its luggage capacity for earlier models, including extendable racks. The 2010 rack does appear small in comparison, but from photos it appears to be short enough to clear the wheels. Are you sure yours is installed properly?

I'd be interested in getting opinions from 2010+ CarryMe owners on the usefulness of the rear or front racks.
Old 06-12-12, 01:31 AM
rain13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't bought my CarryMe yet, but its disappointing to hear the that the rack design on the 2010+ models is not allowing the bike to roll properly. It seems to me that there have been great reviews of the rear rack and its luggage capacity for earlier models, including extendable racks. The 2010 rack does appear small in comparison, but from photos it appears to be short enough to clear the wheels. Are you sure yours is installed properly?

I'd be interested in getting opinions from 2010+ CarryMe owners on the usefulness of the rear or front racks.
Yes, installed properly (the rear rack can only fits in one way), as you can see here, very little clearance in relation to the roller wheels (and mine is already replaced with bigger wheels). I am keeping mine anyway as I've found it to be useful.
I didn't get the front rack, as I am using it for the bottle cage.

Old 06-12-12, 11:21 AM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, installed properly (the rear rack can only fits in one way), as you can see here, very little clearance in relation to the roller wheels (and mine is already replaced with bigger wheels). I am keeping mine anyway as I've found it to be useful.
I didn't get the front rack, as I am using it for the bottle cage.
The rack does appear to sit too "high" compared to the roller wheels. Looks like you'd have trouble rolling at any kind of angle. The new design certainly doesn't seem capable of this:

Too bad, seems like a step backward.
Old 06-12-12, 11:37 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm starting to like this bike.
I assume the seatpost can just slide out, but can the stem and the adjustable steerer post it is attached to come out?
Or is it somehow captured in the folding headtube stem section?
If you remove the seatpost and upper bars/steerer tube, can it be fit into a standard 62" suitcase at an angle?
I know Pacific sells a suitcase for this bike, but I'm not paying that much for a suitcase.
Old 06-12-12, 01:22 PM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing about packing it for travel. I doubt it would fit into a suitcase due to its length. I would go for a long sturdy cardboard box (hopefully it will come inside one when I buy it) reinforced with duct tape and with lots of foam padding inside. I would then put that into a travel duffel bag (I can find $25 rolling duffels in China Town).

I may cave and just get the official luggage with my bike, however. Yes, it's pricey but it is apparently large enough to pack with a weekend's worth of clothing in addition to the carryme, and will probably protect it better and be less of a hassle to pack than the cardboard box solution.
Old 06-12-12, 02:28 PM
spunkyj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a golf bag?
https://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4812W...9532861&sr=1-1

I wonder how the fit would be?
Old 07-24-12, 08:59 AM
owenfinn

Met a Handybike 8 rider today while out riding a Carryme. Very cool looking microbike -check out that huge chainring!

Old 08-02-12, 05:39 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
Met a Handybike 8 rider today while out riding a Carryme. Very cool looking microbike -check out that huge chainring!

How do they compare in price?
Old 08-03-12, 07:55 AM
owenfinn

Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
How do they compare in price?
The Handybike is much less at about 28,000 yen ($340 US) - the Carryme is 62,000 ($750).

https://www.bscycle.co.jp/root/catalo...ke/lineup.html

Last edited by owenfinn; 08-03-12 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-23-12, 12:04 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The front freewheel broke on my Carryme and I found an exact replacement part for sale here (they are apparently used on "BMX trials" bikes):
https://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog...drd3u1qtn2v7o3
Also to upgrade the quality White Industries (yes the White Industries) makes a compatible part with cartridge bearings and extra pawls (for smoother operation):
https://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog...drd3u1qtn2v7o3

However I believe most Carrymes have a rear freewheel (even though both myself and others have confirmed that my front freewheeling Carryme is much more efficient than the rear freewheeling versions), so I guess this will only be useful for me and other owners of early Carryme versions.
Old 02-19-13, 12:12 AM
myownbike

Bikes: Dahon Piccolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I came across the Carryme on the internet the other day and am totally interested in one.

Of course the beauty of the Carryme is the lightweight and ease of folding.

What about accessories? Do you add accessories such as a mirror and water cage? Or would they interfere with the folding?
Old 02-19-13, 12:36 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
ingenuity..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3296496933_e621b479d8.jpg (65.9 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg
1.ve8yuvv34xuazlxmf2jhcz.jpg (100.7 KB, 444 views)
Old 02-19-13, 09:29 AM
myownbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
ingenuity..

That's a nice set up you have there. Especially the first one with the huge carrier on back. Do the accessories interfere with folding? Or do you pretty much leave the bicycle unfolded?
Old 02-19-13, 09:32 AM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
those arent my bikes. just pics from the interwebs. although, knowing how the bikes fold, i would say that nothing going on in those pics would interfere with the folding action.
Old 02-19-13, 10:32 AM
myownbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's good to know. My main use for a folding bicycle is putting that in my car as I drop my car off for repair, then pedal back and forth from home instead of sitting at the repair shop for hours. Currently I have a 16 inch Dahon Piccolo I which think is cumbersome to fold all the way, so what I do is unhinge the stem for the handlebar than shove the bicycle on the back seat of my small car. That fits but takes some maneuvering around.

The thought of having such a tiny bike to just fold up and carry around is so appealing. Plus I'm a sucker for cute, small and functional.
Old 04-11-14, 07:02 PM
True_Atlantean

Bikes: CarryMe DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello fellow CarryMe riders,

I'm going to get my brakes changed and would like to know how much of reach should the brakes be for use on a CarryMe?

I could measure the reach but my CarryMe is in Singapore while I'm presently in South Korea. Sorry for the trouble.

TA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.