Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-13-19, 04:55 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Friday bashed around Richmond at lunch in Zwift. Saturday same deal but in the neighborhood. Both kinda hard tempo into KOM efforts of 2min.

Rainy day Sunday today rode 3 sisters route on Zwift. 30mi/3k feet, 18.5 fake mph lol. Had a few ride ons and a good SS under over effort up the long mountain chasing two guys on some team. Caught em at the top.

It still isn’t cold in the house yet like winter. Even with the disaster flood fan I was boiling hot.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-13-19, 07:16 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Another ~90 min ride today, TT bike this time. Brought the saddle up about 1 cm and the bars up about 1 inch. Wow, what a difference. Was comfortable staying in position and putting it down for a couple laps and having fun going fast.

I just purchased some 5 mm shorter cranks on ebay, so I'm looking fwd to getting those installed and then raising the saddle another 5 mm. After that the plan will be to drop the height of the front end incrementally after a month or so like this for strength and adaptation. Will solicit feedback with pics in the TT sticky later on. This is fun!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-16-19, 11:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Amazing what not doing a 2-a-day workout on the day of Tue night worlds can do for you!

Work this week meant I arrived late. I got ready fast, but the group was 3-4min up road. My best bet was to match their pace and hope they would hit 3-4min worth of stop lights at some point and I'd catch up.

Took me about 10 miles, but I made it. I caught every single light green and rode the first 10mi non-stop. They did too, but had to slow a touch to roll with traffic at a couple lights. That was enough delay to help me catch. Rode the last few miles also OTF. Two of us got away and I pulled for that. Then he dropped off. I made it over a hill and through a light, but it changed and that was it. So 2/3 of the ride I did on my own power.

Finally broke that 21mph barrier on that group ride with 21.5. Probably because I caught so many favorable lights early and late in the ride. 275w NP. A 2nd OA on our hill sprint by a second. 775w for 30sec. Got to ride for a while with a nice guy I haven't seen in a while since he lives way north of town. A good night.

Just a year ago that group never had broken 20mph on that loop. This year we routinely crack 20. Now we know over 21 is possible. I think if the lead bunch stayed together to work instead of hammering and we got favorable lights, we could probably do 23 avg. If I did 21.5 solo for the first and last thirds of the ride, certainly the lead bunch could share work and make 23 happen. For that route, that'd be smokin.

Supposedly the TT bike stems come Friday. I got two to dial in the reach just so . I am actually excited about incurring some pain there since some fresh goodies will be on the bike. Plus, I can practice more on my Zwift stuff with it now to stay engaged.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-18-19, 06:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Leg strength training plus lats and biceps.
Old 10-18-19, 10:50 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

20' high Z4 on Fiesta then 1 VO2 max interval up Bachman on the way back. Packing up now to head up to Mt. Laguna for the weekend - the SDMBA "Trail Fest" demo weekend. Plan on getting two more 1-2 hr MTB rides in today, one on a demo and one on mine (night ride). Stoked!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-18-19, 12:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I rode hiit for 30min in the neighborhood at 280w NP then parked the bike at the house and threw the shoes on for a brick 5k.

The brick 5k I ran on RPE only and kept my computer in my jersey pocket. Man, equaled my PR on that 5k route at about 10bpm lower, including the hard bike work before.

I haven't even ran in months. I was just running tempo based on feel.

I foresee finally cracking into the 6's per mile this winter. But I'll take it slow on adding volume/intensity for that. I've learned that lesson once already.

If I'm in the 6's per mile on 5k distance, and I'm where I hope to be on the TT bike.......I should put a hurtin on the guys/gals at the local duathlon in the spring. I'm thinking 19:30, 26mph, 19:30 would be a good goal there. That'd podium OA from the year before.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-20-19, 09:03 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Bulking season is going well. Gaining weight without too much fat gain as far as I can tell. I'm 15lbs heavier than when I raced lotoja 1.5 months ago.

Lots of lifting and rock climbing. A bit of running and a bit of mtbing. I've ridden my road bike twice since the end of race season. Ahhhhh the off season.

Last night was our first real snow of the year which means ski season so getting close and I'm going to regret all this extra weight with every stride I take on skate skis
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 10-20-19, 04:23 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I just spent the upper parts of the Alpe "riding with" with KillerPenguin and it got me thinking about how long I've been cycling and how long I've known a few of the peeps from this forum. It definitely made the last part of a crappy indoor ride way less bad.

Here's to two old raggedy villains wringing fitness out of the digital age.

Old 10-20-19, 10:16 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The first person to respond to my first post on BF was TKP. Funny how I've 'known' some people here for over 10 years but not really.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 10-21-19, 08:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Back to the mines. Endurance tempo riding this weekend. Beautiful weather.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-21-19, 12:44 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It was definitely nice having company yesterday even if it's on the vidya. I delayed my spin all day because it was cold rain out.

I was gonna squeeze in a last ftp workout before taking a rest week but I am all water bloated and legs feel just bleh. It's funny, FTP blocks are pretty low volume but they can wreck you more than 20hr base weeks. So I'll do the recovery thing and start back up over the weekend.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 10-21-19, 02:27 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I'm in Los Alamos, New Mexico for work this week. This sinus infection I've been fighting flared up hard on the flight out. Urgent care and a good ol dose of amoxicillin should fix this..

Running and hiking while I'm here if I've got time. Maybe I'll make it to the gym. I really wanted to bring a mountain bike but forgot to reserve a bike box in time to bring it with me. Oh well, seems like there is plenty of beauty to see by foot. Cold af at 7200 feet in the mornings. Good training for upcoming ski touring season.
Old 10-22-19, 07:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

My plan last night got foiled a bit by forgetting the local fair is going on. They were using a field by my planned TT bike route out-back for satellite parking.

Made the best of it. Got a few PR's and leaderboard segment times on the 4mi outbound piece. Power in the new bars (raised a bit) is up about 25w.

I averaged about 23.5mph on a rolling couple of segments that's never flat. All up, or down. Flat, no doubt would have been averaging 25+ mph. Parts of it where you're definitely under 20mph for good stretches and parts where over 30mph for good stretches.

Bike feels so much more stable and I feel more powerful on it now. I think the reduced reach is a win also. The bull bars also have a nicer hand feel.

Now, want to get her out on a flatter/steadier stretch and open up the legs a bit.

I think I can get another 15w or so into it going from a SS ride pace to TT pace. Maybe 20w.

My VI was kind of crappy even, due to hills and dealing with crappy traffic. Like 1.10. I want to be seeing more like 1.02 or 1.01 for TT.

I think the mornings the wife does her little gym training class I'll setup the TT bike for some Zwifting.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-22-19, 09:21 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Yesterday I Ran during our lunch break and lifted in the evening. Altitude (~7200ft) does funny things to my lifting. Didn't have to back off the weight but man does it hurt a bit more and I need more time between sets.

This morning I got up and ran before breakfast. Took a fall running into a sidewalk and bashed my knee. Should be alright but I find it funny...
Old 10-22-19, 01:43 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I renewed my Trainer Road account today...
Old 10-22-19, 05:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Last night leg strength training. This AM Fiesta Island low cadence work on the road bike - alternating tops, hoods, drops, standing. Hot day.
Old 10-24-19, 01:46 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm up to 140 right now; with my race weight at 134 I don't want to get a hole where I have to lose 10+ lbs. That being said my belly bodyfat measurements are only about a millimeter more so there's a chance some of this is muscle gain from lifting.

Which I'm fine with a little bit of gain, the big thing is how it translates on the bike. I've just been doing Sweet Spot on the trainer so I have no clue if these weight sessions are helping.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 10-24-19, 02:06 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Leg strength training last night and Fiesta on road bike this AM. Warmup and 2x10' (30on/30off). Nothing big for the 30on segments just solid VO2 max power toward the upper limit. My legs felt really good considering last nights session.

@furiousferret All I know is that my CLT is crap with focus on strength. I do not make any attempt to add in TSS for a strength workout. I think fatigue due to strength training and fatigue due to cycling are apples and oranges.

Sub-threshold power feels easier to make and popping the 30on segments felt sort of easy this morning. So there is that.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-28-19, 10:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Sleep matters. I always am to bed on time but slept badly last night. Bad workout. Did not manage 3x3’s. Only one set. Then a run up Box and that other hill at 100%. Felt like pulling teeth.

I did have more fun using the big screen in the gym by buying an adapter cable. Win.
Old 10-28-19, 11:29 AM
Cypress

Took a guy up a local beatdown hill. I did 34 fewer watts than the last time I rode it, but was only 1 second slower over almost 9 minutes of climbing. There was a headwind this time as well. The only thing I can think was that I rode the steeper sections harder this time, and backed off quite a bit on the shallow sections.

I guess that goes to show that you can gain speed by riding things differently.
Likes For Cypress:
Old 10-30-19, 08:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Doing a little running, steady state, and TT bike pattern lately. Last week almost 600 TSS. Running added in seems to spike the TSS higher than usual for a week.

Tuesday did a 10k at lunch on Zwift. Z2 mostly. Last night I tried to do a little prologue TT while the kids were having their showtime. I just could not get the HR up. I was giving it the beans power-wise given my TT position power is so much lower. Despite the fire in the legs, the HR was NOT creeping up much beyond an upper SS effort. The power was good, but fatigue I guess. Despite our house being a cyclist cooker even with a decent fan on me usually my HR on tough indoor stuff at home goes up pretty quick.

Current 10k pace at Z2 heart rate is equal to my PR for a 10k from last year. So, yeah, there's that.

Looking for a nice day and smooth road to throw the disc on the back and go for a PR for 10mi.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-30-19, 08:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday, Fiesta road bike. I was not sure what I was going to do until I got there and checked out the wind. I decided on big gear work and then wished I had brought the TT bike with the 54 chainring versus the 50t on the road bike. I did a warmup and a couple of jumps and then 4x4' tempo power @ 55 to 60 rpm with a 10" sprint (max effort) at the end of each interval in the big gear with 3' RBI. And of course, I rode the efforts and sprint at the end in the drops. It does not seem like a lot at the time but quite fatiguing.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-30-19, 08:52 AM
Cypress

Went for a ride last night with the intention of base. Started at 48 degrees and sunny, so knee warmers, shoe covers, Gabba jacket. Sustained 25 mph winds with crazy gusts from every which way were forcing cold air into every bit of my kit, and my ears were half stingy, half numb...I thought to myself "I don't remember 48 feeling this cold." After about 30 minutes of getting blown into traffic and the wind disrupting any kind of consistent power/cadence, I called the ride. By the time I got home 30 minutes later, it was still sunny, but 37 degrees with the wind still whipping around in circles. Took a half hour sit-down shower to warm up and just sat there shivering and bummed.

I think that ride officially killed off the rest of my "light and fast" loadouts for the rest of the year. It'll be full leg warmers/tights, multiple upper layers, neck gaiter, and beanie with winter helmet. I fendered up the gravel bike last week, so it'll see some nice slow miles.
Likes For Cypress:
Old 10-31-19, 08:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

^
yikes.

And I thought it was cold here in SD with my 49 F start this morning...

The lady is out of town travelling with a friend in Morocco for 10 days, so I took the opportunity to do a random pre-base big week just to prime the system for whats to come. Base 1 will start in two weeks, next week mostly easy.

This week I should end up with 16-17 hours with a 6 hour ride on Sunday (team ride) and also three of five rides on the TT bike, each with 30-60 min of SST. I'm taking it to the shop on Saturday to swap the cranks (5 mm shorter) and rings (bigger) + a new BB.

This TT stuff is fun! Might want to experiment with different aerobar extensions - the ones with the upward kink in them. I'm finding I like my hands a bit higher, and plan on dropping the base bar height soon.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-01-19, 08:24 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

More S&A. I may never leave this phase of training. I like it too much. Fiesta 2x(3' VO2, 2'z2, 2' VO2, 2' z3, 1' ANO2) 5' RBI. Back in the gym today.

Definitely a beautiful day in SD. And all the usual suspects were out running and working out at Mission Bay.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.