Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Propane tank hauler?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Propane tank hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 01:33 PM
billyO13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Propane tank hauler?

Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas or pics of how to haul my #100 propane tank for refills? I tried a search but didn't come up with any useful info.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-19, 01:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I've strapped small welding bottles (with the caps) into my cargo trailer numerous times.

Nothing quite that big though.

I met a guy up in Portland that built a cradle for his bottles that he attached to his larger cargo trailer. I lost his contact info, but might be able to dig it up somewhere.

I picked up a small used car trailer with a slightly larger propane tank permanently attached to it. It could probably be modified for bike use, assuming the tank could be refilled (my goal was other projects at the time).

I suppose the question is what you have available to you to use? I'd be reluctant to use my kids trailers, and would probably go with cradles on a larger dedicated cargo trailer. But, might also consider the kid's trailers, perhaps the skeleton one stripped of canvas and well secured.
Old 12-03-19, 07:17 PM
billyO13

Thanks for the reply, Clifford. Fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) the answer to the question is, nothing. Or, another way of looking at it is, everything.

I've been using a hand truck with pneumatic tires to walk the tank the mile to fill it up, and was thinking about trying to modify some sort of linkage to hook that to my bike, but was looking to see if others have solved this problem previously.
Old 12-03-19, 07:52 PM
CliffordK

Like I said, I've carried Oxygen and Acetylene tanks on my bike, strapped into the kid's trailer. But, not a tank quite like yours.

I think this is the person that I met that had built a cradle for his cargo trailer for larger welding tanks. I don't remember exactly what he was carrying, perhaps large inert gas bottles.

https://www.facebook.com/PortlandBicycleTrailer/

I seem to have lost the contact info, and am not actively on Facebook, but it is worth asking.

I don't think I'd do your handtruck, or if you do, make sure it is rebuilt up to the task. You don't want to lose a propane bottle on the road. However, there are quite a few bike trailers that will take 100 pounds or so.

Or, you could build a rack for one of the heavy duty trailers capable of 500 lbs or so.

For example, one of these trailers:
https://www.bikesatwork.com/store/bicycle-trailers
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126185803
https://www.modernbike.com/surly-ted...ed-for-trailer

There are also a number of homebuilts that would have the capacity.

You could cut your cradle using a 2x10 and a bandsaw.
Old 12-03-19, 09:05 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
https://www.burley.com/fr/product/travoy/

or make your own?
Old 12-03-19, 09:16 PM
CliffordK

I'm not big on cross-posting, but you might try the Framebuilder's Subforum. They would be the crowd that may have encountered the issue.

Are you using the propane for heating/cooking? Welding? Brazing?

How much fabrication are you planning on doing?
Old 12-03-19, 10:07 PM
billyO13

Thanks for the links everyone! They've been helpful and giving me ideas.

The propane is for my forges and brazing. And I will probably need to transport larger oxygen and acetylene bottles at some point in the future too. I'm thinking about just making my own. As you may know, you're supposed to transport these tanks upright, so that will be the challenge to make the load stable and not top-heavy.
I'm even toying with the idea of making a custom cart using traditional joinery instead of welding.
Old 12-03-19, 10:24 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Hauling propane

I would consider switching to the lighter 20 lb. cylinders due to safety concerns.
Old 12-03-19, 10:29 PM
billyO13

Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I would consider switching to the lighter 20 lb. cylinders due to safety concerns.
While easier to transport, not very efficient or effective for all day forging.
Old 12-04-19, 12:59 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by billyO13
As you may know, you're supposed to transport these tanks upright, so that will be the challenge to make the load stable and not top-heavy.
There is the rocket concern of a broken valve which one does have to be aware of..

But, I believe acetylene is the only gas that is dissolved in acetone, and I believe also has some kind of a foam inside of the cylinders. So, I believe one can lay the tanks down, but one is supposed to stand them back up for a period of time before using.

Other gases don't have the acetone/foam, and shouldn't have issues with laying down and standing, at least with respect to the gasses.
Old 12-04-19, 10:43 AM
billyO13

Originally Posted by Son_Rising
Propane cylinders had to be transported standing upright at all times. Maybe things have changed?
It's my understanding that the laws haven't changed, but the interpretation of the law varies depending on where you are (and perhaps the mood of the person you're dealing with). In my experience, some places don't care, some places do care and will tell what the law is but won't force you to transport it upright, and some places won't fill if it's not transported properly.
Old 12-04-19, 12:26 PM
CliffordK

I used to work at a propane filling station. Propane cylinders had to be transported standing upright at all times. Maybe things have changed? The idea then was that pressure relief sometimes will not work when tanks are not upright...so rather than discharge pressure they explode. ...One guy took a tank home and into his house to wash in his bathtub. It exploded and blew the roof off the townhouse. Not a good idea. Some people decide to paint their tanks dark colors...also not good.
Ahh, so propane cylinders are different than compressed gas cylinders.

But that also brings up another point. There are small horizontal propane cylinders.

What about forklift tanks that are designed for both horizontal and vertical use?

Hmmm, both DOT and non-DOT tanks???

I would certainly feel safer with a bicycle to get the weight down low. I've flipped my cargo trailer several times. And, have had issues that at least on one occasion, my Bike Friday trailer knocked me and my bike over too.

It looks like smaller tanks such as small forklift tanks are pretty common, and potentially available used.

For horizontal, there are the RV tanks which are DOT certified (for RV use). But, not cheap.
https://www.rvautoparts.com/6829-Man...k_p_34216.html

Another option, of course, is to get a larger tank and a delivery service.

Last edited by CliffordK; 12-04-19 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 12:37 PM
CliffordK

Manchester RV Tank, 26 gallons, $70

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...028466187.html

It looks a bit dirty. Talk to your vendor that you could get it filled if mounted to a trailer.
Old 12-05-19, 12:35 PM
billyO13

Thanks again for all the ideas. I've now got options in case I need to go to "Plan B"

Here's where "Plan A" is:
I found a piece pipe that's just about the perfect size in my scrap bin. It fits almost perfectly in the holes of the crate and lines up almost perfectly with the seat post (see pics)

I just picked up a longer (and heavier duty) seat binder bolt from the local shop and my plan is to forge a fork on the end with punched and drifted holes to accept the bolt and attach the trailer to the bike here. This joint will be loose enough to allow for some hinge movement in the sagittal plane(up and down hinging).

My plan is to get some sort of universal joint on the back end for attaching the cart to take care of the transverse and frontal plane movement. I haven't found exactly what i'm looking for yet as my local shop doesn't deal with trailer parts. (Any online search advice is most appreciated for this newbie doesn't know what every part is called...yet.) I'm thinking about using a ball joint type linkage (like a tie-rod end on a vehicle).

Last edited by billyO13; 12-05-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-07-19, 10:40 AM
billyO13

The Burley Travoy trailer's weight rating is too low...
Thanks. That's why it's not involved in either 'Plan A' or 'Plan B'...
Old 12-14-19, 12:18 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Thanks for the links everyone! They've been helpful and giving me ideas.

The propane is for my forges and brazing. And I will probably need to transport larger oxygen and acetylene bottles at some point in the future too. I'm thinking about just making my own. As you may know, you're supposed to transport these tanks upright, so that will be the challenge to make the load stable and not top-heavy.
I'm even toying with the idea of making a custom cart using traditional joinery instead of welding.
As you probably know, hauling these tanks on a bicycle trailer can be unwieldy, and seem top heavy. If you're going to haul more than one at a time, perhaps you might consider using a semi wide wheel base, not as wide as a cars, but not far under that either. Good tires will be a must, as you wouldn't want any mishaps with those tanks onboard.
Having a forge intrigues me, do you mind if I ask what you make? When I hear the word forge, my mind goes straight to bades of some sort.
Old 12-15-19, 11:36 AM
billyO13

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
As you probably know, hauling these tanks on a bicycle trailer can be unwieldy, and seem top heavy...consider using a semi wide wheel base.. Good tires will be a must....
Having a forge intrigues me, do you mind if I ask what you make? When I hear the word forge, my mind goes straight to blades of some sort.
Hi Ballenxj. Thanks for the thoughts, and yes, I'm going to widen the wheel base and want to get adequate tires. Right now I'm planning on only hauling one 100# tank at a time, and if this is no problem, then I might consider making a larger version to carry more. But let's not forget, more tanks equals more weight and harder to pull uphill.

As far as the forging, most of what I do now is pattern welded (damascus) kitchen knives, but when I started, I had no intention on making knives, and was more of an 'artist blacksmith': forging hooks, wall sconces, fireplace sets, bottle openers, gates, sculptures, etc. I still really enjoy this, especially if I can incorporate animal heads into the design.
Likes For billyO13:
Old 12-15-19, 06:03 PM
Ballenxj

Hi Ballenxj. Thanks for the thoughts, and yes, I'm going to widen the wheel base and want to get adequate tires. Right now I'm planning on only hauling one 100# tank at a time, and if this is no problem, then I might consider making a larger version to carry more. But let's not forget, more tanks equals more weight and harder to pull uphill.

As far as the forging, most of what I do now is pattern welded (damascus) kitchen knives, but when I started, I had no intention on making knives, and was more of an 'artist blacksmith': forging hooks, wall sconces, fireplace sets, bottle openers, gates, sculptures, etc. I still really enjoy this, especially if I can incorporate animal heads into the design.
Yup, those 25 gallon tanks weigh a hundred pounds apiece when full, If possible you might also consider leaning the tank forward a bit on the trailer to help stabilise the load.
Old 12-29-19, 12:34 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Anybody who hauls a standard gas cylinder inappropriately is endangering himself and others.
Drop an oxygen or scuba tank, breaking the valve, and you have a missile that will go through brick walls.
Break a propane tank, you have a bomb.
Wow, there is some real Darwin out there, sadly endangering others.
Old 12-29-19, 08:55 AM
Ballenxj

Thinking about it, bikebikebike is right. I'm nervous enough when I haul mine in a truck.
Just an idea, most propane companies lease or sell 100 gallon tanks that they will set in place, and come to you to refill them. This would be your best option.
Old 12-29-19, 10:02 AM
CliffordK

I'm not convinced that hauling a propane tank is inherently any more unsafe than simply riding on a road around traffic.

However, one needs to consider the transportation mode carefully so that one doesn't take unnecessary risks.

As mentioned, I would (and may) select a horizontal tank. I'm also considering adding external protection to the tank which should protect it from a bike crash, but not necessarily a car crash.