Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Norco Blitz MTB - not much info out there...

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 07:41 PM
tom_semp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,
I just picked up this Norco Blitz yesterday and would like to know if anyone knows anything about them? I didn't get a single hit on Google or these forums.

Most of the older Norco mountain bikes I've seen are not really noteworthy, but this one is made from double-butted Tange mountain tubing, and has nice (I think) components all over.
Shimano Deore XT derailleurs
Shimano LX hubs on Araya rims
Shimano STX crankset (almost look like stainless steel chainrings - is that a thing?)
Dia-Compe brake levers
Gripshift shifters

Interestingly, it also says "suspension specific designs" on the top tube, but has a rigid fork that looks like the original.

It was $15, so I had intended it to be my winter bike, but now I think I might clean it up and keep it away from the salty roads.

Any thoughts? Age estimates?
Thanks!

Not up to 10 posts yet, so photos at this Flickr link: www "dot" flickr "dot" com/gp/98525835@N08/5776n8
Old 10-30-19, 09:01 PM
tom_semp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
STX with XT components = someone has changed some of the parts out.
Thanks for pointing that out wrk101. I'll find the part numbers in the daylight tomorrow. But in the mean time, was STX the same era as LX?
It seems like the XT stuff was probably put on later, especially given the rear derailleur has "Integrated 8SIS" printed on it, but the cassette is 7 speed.

Still, I was mostly interested in whether anyone knew anything about the model. It seems unusual to me to find so little information about an older bike like this on this forum.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-19, 09:42 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
The LX 7 speed came out before the the STX 8 speed, LX being late 80's early 90's and STX being mid 90's. The oldest components the 7 speed lx hubs which are likely original mean the bike was likely made in the late 80's early 90's, which would be consistent with the DB chro-mo frame set.

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-31-19 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-31-19, 10:19 AM
tom_semp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks zukahn1, that's very helpful! On the Norco website I found a very basic history of their mountain bikes, which shows the headtube badge / logo on this bike being introduced in 1991.
If you go much earlier than that it looks like bullmoose handlebars were on most of their bikes, and this thing has Norco "Light Alloy - 195 grams" bars. Making it easy for the early gram-counters?
Old 10-31-19, 10:54 AM
tom_semp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help brianhamp. The Bluebook info matches most of the components on the bike, except for the hubs (LX not XT on mine) and brakes (Dia Compe levers rather than Alivio on mine). So either there was an earlier version of the "Blitz" that Bluebook doesn't know about, or this confirms that various components were replaced at some point.

I also like Norco bikes, mostly because my first serious mountain bike was a circa 2000 Sasquatch. You know, the ones built like tanks to withstand whatever the Northshore could throw at them? It was on to its 3rd owner and still taking a beating when I passed it on. Good memories!

This new find will hopefully make a nice XC/trail bike once it's cleaned up.
Old 10-31-19, 02:30 PM
Sandstrom

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
You have a very nice bike there... It will serve you well for many years...
Here is a pic of my new Norco Tactik....

2005 Norco Tactik
That looks serious
Old 10-31-19, 04:24 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I've got a complete list of Norco price lists for the 1990s, except 1998. The only year the Blitz is listed is 1994. Product description is limited, only mentioning a Shimano Deore XT/STX mix and Tange MTB tubing. MSRP was $679 US. This falls in line with the Blue Book data, so I assume that the rest of the specs are correct. The rims match the BB spec, so the hubs were likely downgraded by Norco after the literature was issued, to maintain the target price. It's very strange to have Shimano components from 4 different product groups but it appears to be legitimate. Don't ride it without installing a QR skewer on the rear wheel.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-31-19, 09:43 PM
tom_semp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks T-Mar! Some great info there. And don't worry, the missing QR skewer was the first thing I noticed.

So it seems I have something of a rarity here, with the Blitz only being made for 1 year. Maybe it will be a collector's item in a few more years!
Old 11-25-19, 02:11 PM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just started a similar thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21222654) assuming that no one had added anything more since I searched a few weeks ago and only found the Bicycle Blue Book and Bikepedia parts lists. T-Mar pointed me to your thread.

I recently picked up a Blitz and it seems to match your spec.

Old 11-25-19, 06:23 PM
tom_semp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maaakaaa
I recently picked up a Blitz and it seems to match your spec.
Yep, it's identical! Seems in similarly good condition too. Have started using mine as a winter commuter and I'm very happy - solid and comfortable.
Old 11-26-19, 08:30 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Nice looking bike there. 👍 I've never owned a Norco yet, but came very close, back in the mid-90s. There was a business in Seattle then, that sold anything from bicycles to car tires to washing machines, all brand new and at very decent prices. I would have bought a Norco MTB, the next payday, but ended up with a used Cannondale hybrid instead. 🤔😉