Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbon Fork Fear

Old 11-25-19, 08:01 AM
XLB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Fork Fear

Hello!
I'm looking into buying a new bike but it's carbon fork scares me It's a TREK Checkpoint AL3 Sora Gravel Bike. I've tested one and really like the ride!
Only drawback is that I weigh 315lbs (142 kg) and Trek says the bike has a total max weight limit of 125 KG.
I've had a Nishiki Allroad (All aluminium) gravel bike and rode it without issues, only it ended up being too big for me.
Does anybody over 300lbs ride carbon? Any reported issues? Would love to hear from all of you nevertheless!
Thank you!

XLB
Old 11-25-19, 10:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
It'll probably work just fine for a ten thousands miles, maybe a multiple of that. Don't plan on riding over curbs, or over logs or ditches, and you'll probably be fine.

But Trek's lawyers are risk averse and conservative (if their engineers were like that, the bike would weigh two pounds more and come without a weight limit). If you're worried about the weight limit, I think you'll want to go with a different brand.
Old 11-25-19, 01:47 PM
XLB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate the reply!
Old 11-25-19, 03:11 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
check out the steel Kona Rove, new models are modern 650 fatter tire layouts, couple yrs ago was 700 with 35s or something like that. Gravel marketing trend is leaning to 650 for more tire volume and same/less rolling resistance than 700 counter parts.

https://www.konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 11-25-19, 04:03 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
FWIW: WoundUp makes a tandem rated carbon fork. It's rated at 400 pounds team weight, which is a lot more than rated "up to" 400 pounds. Available in canti & disc versions, it costs a bunch, but I got one & it is a great fork. Highly recommend.

Check out the clearance section of the WoundUp website. Occassionally really good forks show up half-off.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-25-19, 07:13 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate *at* *all* about carbon anything at your weight. I have about 10k miles over 3 years on a full carbon Scott CR-10 and at my lightest clock 350 and a lot of those miles were heavier and there have been no problems with the frame. It is very stout while riding and there is no reason to not expect another 10k miles out of it. Remember that this Scott is really an older model race frame repurposed by them into an endurance type bike....e.g. it was designed around riders half our weight.

I just picked up a full carbon Jamis Renegade Expert and took my first gravel ride on it yesterday. Based on how it felt, I am also not remotely worried about frame or fork strength there either.

Wheels will be your weak point (or have been for me)

DaveW
Likes For DWhitworth:
Old 11-26-19, 10:51 AM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Just as a reference, the heaviest I reached was 241. My bike has carbon seat stays and I had no problems at all. Don't know about forks, but I would imagine they would be able to hold as long as you are just riding normally.
Likes For HIPCHIP:
Old 11-27-19, 09:39 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
The Cannondale Topstone Sora is rated for 300 lbs and also has a Carbon fork if you want to give that a look?

Originally Posted by XLB
Hello!
I'm looking into buying a new bike but it's carbon fork scares me It's a TREK Checkpoint AL3 Sora Gravel Bike. I've tested one and really like the ride!
Only drawback is that I weigh 315lbs (142 kg) and Trek says the bike has a total max weight limit of 125 KG.
I've had a Nishiki Allroad (All aluminium) gravel bike and rode it without issues, only it ended up being too big for me.
Does anybody over 300lbs ride carbon? Any reported issues? Would love to hear from all of you nevertheless!
Thank you!

XLB
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 11-27-19, 02:03 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Not a worry, ride it. I have 4 bikes now in the collection and 3 have carbon forks. All 3 have complete carbon fork, no alloy tube. Never had an issue. I was at 336 on my spesh allez and it ran great. Now under 300 but it wasn't even a concern from the shop. One Spesh, one Cannondale and my full carbon bike the Argon 18. Not one dealer even hesitated when I asked about my weight when asking about the fork or frame for that matter. They all said it will be no issue. FWIW my dealer is awesome and I trust them 100%. Been a great CS based dealer for me for a long time.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 11-28-19, 07:06 AM
XLB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tested the Kona! Loved it! We will see if I can get a deal!
Old 11-28-19, 07:07 AM
XLB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to thank everyone for replying! I really appreciate it!