Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My favorite project to date: Raleigh Sprite 3-speed conversion with retro lights

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My favorite project to date: Raleigh Sprite 3-speed conversion with retro lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 03:32 PM
minisystem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I stripped down my mom's mid 1980s Canada-built Raleigh Sprite mixte last spring and built it back up as a 3-speed (formerly 5-speed derailleur system). It had its maiden voyage last September, but I just mounted and wired up the lighting system last night and took some pictures today. I realized I ordered the new wheelset on April 27, 2011, so it's been almost exactly a year in the making. I've always been enamoured with the Raleigh Superbe, so that served as the inspiration for 3-speed-izing and dynamo-izing the Sprite, rather than restoring it.

The rear wheel has a new Sturmey Archer SRF3 3-speed hub with trigger shifter (very nice) and the front has a Sanyo H27 dynamo hub, which is remarkably good looking for the $35 it cost. The brakes, stem and crankset are original, and polished up nicely (probably shinier than their original finish!). The wheels, pedals, seat post, saddle, handlebars and brake levers are new. The frame and fenders are in their original black and the finish is quite well perserved considering the 25+ years the bike's been sitting in a damp barn basement.

The light set consists of a Sturmey Archer headlamp and a Luxor taillight. Sadly, the Sturmey taillight that completed the set was stolen from my wife's previous bike (long story), so I had to resort to the Luxor, which still looks pretty nice, despite belonging to a different era and style of bicycle. The guts are upgraded with LEDs and a supercapacitor-based standlight. The taillight is ridiculously bright, which I'm very pleased about.

A couple of other noteworthy things: the lamp bracket (which I described in another thread) is custom as an original Raleigh-style headset bracket didn't work with the SR stem. Also, the 700C wheel upgrade meant there was a brake reach problem. I really liked the original Tourney brake set so I opted to have a drop bolt fabricated to get the original brakes to work with 700C wheels (for less than the price of long reach Tektros, I should add...). It's barely noticeable and, thus far, seems to work well.

Now it just needs some serious miles put on it to make sure everything holds together/

Unfortunately, this bike is for my wife.

The pictures: Full set on Flickr.

Last edited by minisystem; 04-28-12 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For minisystem:
Old 04-28-12, 04:16 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No beamshots?
Old 04-28-12, 04:28 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is one classy bike!

Cheers,
Chris
Likes For Chris W.:
Old 04-28-12, 04:35 PM
FlatTop
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Looks neat-as-a-pin, in the way that only black bicycles can. Very nice work.
Old 04-29-12, 08:08 AM
minisystem

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fenway
No beamshots?
Ha. No. I did make an intensity profile of the XM-L optics to compare it to the original optics, though. The headlight beam is very big and floody. Good for riding around the city, but probably not much use on a dark trail. The taillight is really bright. I would argue it rivals some of the super bright boutique taillights out there, with good off axis visibility. That claim has not been tested empirically though...

Took it for a quick night spin last night. The only issue was the lamp bezel rattled a bit, which was easily remedied by slipping an elastic band over the opening to provide some dampening. My fancy bracket also has a tendency to shift around on the stem. Not sure what to do about that. Clamping the stem's nut down too tight causes the headset bearings to bind. Maybe some threadlocker? or a rubber washer of some kind?
Old 04-29-12, 08:12 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Great looking bike! It's hard not to like those Raleigh mixte bicycles, but I'm a sucker for the mixte aesthetic.
Likes For photogravity:
Old 04-29-12, 09:09 AM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Sharp. Clean. Tidy. Very pretty.
Likes For sailorbenjamin:
Old 04-29-12, 09:27 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 11 Posts
Wow that's a super clean and extremely functional do all bike. Well done!
Likes For Henry III:
Old 04-29-12, 09:36 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
BTW, let me know how that saddle turns out for your mother. I have one on my Cannondale and even after riding it for about 350-400 miles, it is still hard as a rock. In the future, I'll stick with Brooks saddles as I have yet to find one that wasn't comfortable for my arse. For the record, this isn't based on only one saddle either - I've ridden B17, B17 Narrow, Imperial, Imperial Narrow, Flyer, B66 and B72 - so I'm speaking from actual experience.
Old 04-29-12, 09:56 AM
minisystem

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by photogravity
BTW, let me know how that saddle turns out for your mother. I have one on my Cannondale and even after riding it for about 350-400 miles, it is still hard as a rock. In the future, I'll stick with Brooks saddles as I have yet to find one that wasn't comfortable for my arse. For the record, this isn't based on only one saddle either - I've ridden B17, B17 Narrow, Imperial, Imperial Narrow, Flyer, B66 and B72 - so I'm speaking from actual experience.
That VO saddle was on sale, which is why I picked it up. I figure those big springs ought to help. My wife had a B66 short on her old bike that she eventually got used to. She's literally spent 10 minutes on this bike, so it's too early to say how this saddle will be.
Old 04-29-12, 10:19 AM
Tuc
collector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very handsome, one of the best!
Old 04-29-12, 10:52 AM
The MAX

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wanted to do this EXACT SAME BUILD for quite a while now. There was one of these chained up all winter on a major street in here in Halifax, and it was really beat up. I contemplated "rescuing it" several times but figured it would have been too much work. There was another one on Kijiji for sale, but was way overpriced for me. Only major thing I would do different would be a chain guard, and I wouldn't need the dynamo. But other than that I want it. lol. Nice job!
Old 05-01-12, 08:25 AM
minisystem

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The MAX
I've wanted to do this EXACT SAME BUILD for quite a while now. There was one of these chained up all winter on a major street in here in Halifax, and it was really beat up. I contemplated "rescuing it" several times but figured it would have been too much work. There was another one on Kijiji for sale, but was way overpriced for me. Only major thing I would do different would be a chain guard, and I wouldn't need the dynamo. But other than that I want it. lol. Nice job!
Last summer I rode by the exact same black Sprite Mixte frame that was locked to a pole down on the waterfront. Totally derelict, stripped of both wheels, but everything else was still there and the frame didn't looked damaged. I was tempted too.

A full chain guard would be nice. The Sprites had a chainring guard on the crank, which I removed as I've never really been a fan. Not sure what would fit or look good for this. Ideally, it would be matching black.
Old 05-01-12, 08:40 AM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 26" chain-case from Yellow Jersey should fit. You'd need to fashion two mounting brackets from pipe clips and make sure the chainring is 48 teeth or smaller to fit.
Old 05-01-12, 08:46 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Well done. That looks great! I recently finished a very, very similar build for my mother.

Happy riding to your mom.
Old 11-24-19, 09:41 PM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
That’s stunning! What width tires are those?
Old 11-25-19, 10:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbomber
That’s stunning! What width tires are those?
This thread is from 2012. I haven't seen @minisystem here for a while.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-25-19, 11:45 AM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This thread is from 2012. I haven't seen @minisystem here for a while.
Thanks - was following "related topics" and didn't notice the date.