Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Magazine Article on Helments=New Purchase for Me!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-10-13, 12:14 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Bikes: 1992 Raliegh Heat and 2008 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I mis-spelled the title on purpose. Those reading BikeSnobNYC will understand.

In the latest edition, Bicycling updated this article about helments and concussions: https://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...ction?page=0,1

Apparently all of the "standard tests" out there are only to prevent a cracked skull bone, nothing about concussions. In the new article, the Scott Lin was identified as the first USA available helment with the MIPS system to reduce concussions.
https://mipshelmet.com/find-a-helmet
https://www.scott-sports.com/global/e.../#.UY0zbconrkA

While I was reading this article over a couple of days, my old helment cracked from age. I resolved to find a bicycle dealer in DFW selling the Scott Lin and buy it. I bicycle about 3500 miles a year and my head is my money maker. The fit is just like my old helment and the ventilation kept me cool on the way into work this morning. It isn't bulky or hefty, so like my old helment, I forget that it is even there during the ride. Color choice is green or black, and with the Texas Sun up there, green was an easy choice. Two thumbs up!

And like Forrest Gump said after Lt. Dan explained the two rules of Vietnam, I sure hope I don't have to verify the helment reduces concussions!
https://www.hark.com/forrest-gump/try...nything-stupid
Old 05-10-13, 01:51 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'll click on the links.
Old 05-10-13, 03:42 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
My brain is not my best feature... Thanks for the hyperlinkage to an expanded universe!
Old 05-10-13, 07:01 PM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the approximate price point for one of these Scott LIN MIPS helmets?
Old 05-12-13, 07:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Good ol' Buycycling. Here's what the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute has to say.
Old 05-12-13, 08:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Is there a difference between a helmet and a helment?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-12-13, 10:00 AM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
To be fair though, the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute is selling something too. That said, BHSI does make a compelling argument that for a bicycle helmet that is not firmly attached to the head unlike a motorcycle helmet often is, it should slip some itself. Of course, the BHSI doesn't offer anything to say or prove that some extra slip in the helmet itself would not be a positive thing.
Old 05-12-13, 10:22 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by terrapin44
To be fair though, the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute is selling something too. That said, BHSI does make a compelling argument that for a bicycle helmet that is not firmly attached to the head unlike a motorcycle helmet often is, it should slip some itself. Of course, the BHSI doesn't offer anything to say or prove that some extra slip in the helmet itself would not be a positive thing.
But they're not the ones making the argument; the burden is on Bicycling and the new tech promoters to support that assertion. BHSI is, correctly, pointing out the potential flaws in the assertions.
Old 05-12-13, 10:44 AM
JCNeumann

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Part of the reason the motorcycle helmets and bike helmets focus on impact is that you are far more likely to be injured that way than a concussion. Plus, unless you wear a mouthguard, the "bang" of teeth on teeth is a significant contributor to concussions. That's why boxers, hockey players, lacrosse players almost all wear a mouthguard. It will have limited protection from your teeth (90 mile an hour puck or fist will injure teeth regardless), but will slow the speed of a brain impact.

The downside is that they do make it more difficult to breathe.
Old 05-12-13, 10:46 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Is there a difference between a helmet and a helment?
One you wear, the other...wears you.
Old 05-13-13, 12:36 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bergerandfries
Yes, I mis-spelled the title on purpose. Those reading BikeSnobNYC will understand.

In the latest edition, Bicycling updated this article about helments and concussions: https://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...ction?page=0,1

Apparently all of the "standard tests" out there are only to prevent a cracked skull bone, nothing about concussions. In the new article, the Scott Lin was identified as the first USA available helment with the MIPS system to reduce concussions.
https://mipshelmet.com/find-a-helmet
https://www.scott-sports.com/global/e.../#.UY0zbconrkA

While I was reading this article over a couple of days, my old helment cracked from age. I resolved to find a bicycle dealer in DFW selling the Scott Lin and buy it. I bicycle about 3500 miles a year and my head is my money maker. The fit is just like my old helment and the ventilation kept me cool on the way into work this morning. It isn't bulky or hefty, so like my old helment, I forget that it is even there during the ride. Color choice is green or black, and with the Texas Sun up there, green was an easy choice. Two thumbs up!

And like Forrest Gump said after Lt. Dan explained the two rules of Vietnam, I sure hope I don't have to verify the helment reduces concussions!
https://www.hark.com/forrest-gump/try...nything-stupid

Score one for the advertisers.
Old 05-13-13, 12:58 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be fair though, the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute is selling something too.
terrapin44, can you disclose why you think the BHSI has a conflict of interest?
Old 05-14-13, 05:32 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by bergerandfries
terrapin44, can you disclose why you think the BHSI has a conflict of interest?
I was wondering about that, too. BHSI is a 501(C)3 non-profit staffed by volunteers that gives their reports away and doesn't take money from industry. Their website doesn't even have banner advertisements. This does not necessarily make their opinions and advice correct, but I must be overlooking their page where you enter your credit card number and shipping address. You don't even get a t-shirt from them when you make a donation!
Old 05-14-13, 05:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

What is the approximate price point for one of these Scott LIN MIPS helmets?
The Scott Lin helmet is said to be the same design as the Scott Groove II, but the Lin additionally has the MIPS slip plane feature. The cost of the MIPS should be reflected in the cost difference between the Lin and Groove II, should you find a retailer offering both.
Old 05-14-13, 12:55 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The Scott Lin helmet is said to be the same design as the Scott Groove II, but the Lin additionally has the MIPS slip plane feature. The cost of the MIPS should be reflected in the cost difference between the Lin and Groove II, should you find a retailer offering both.
Locally, the Lin is $120 and the Groove II is $90: $30 difference...
Old 05-14-13, 05:54 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I guess helmets are largely regarded as safety acessories even though most people seem to like some kind of sun / wind / rain protection for their heads OFF the bike anyway. Enter hats, hoods and sunglasses.

Never in my life actually ruined a helmet in an accident but need sun / wind / rain protection on a daily basis so that had a lot more to do with my own helmet selections. Comfort and good ventelation are key otherwise - who'll put up with wearing one regardless of any potential safety benifits?

And heads come in different sizes and shapes. The people that are perfectly comfortable in a 'one size fits all' $50 helmet are the lucky ones. Some people (in the same family) have to spend two or three times as much to get something that fits well enough that they'll actually wear it.

Safety is a nice feature but from most consumer's points of view - its something that needs to be provided while actually enhancing the day to day bicycling experience.

This year we started carrying the Giro Air Attack and Dux Helm - both with integrated visors. The amount of interest has been surprising. Have been testing one myself. The windprotection for the eyes is better than my Oakley M Frames and more comfortable with a helmet. Probably means I'll get sucked into buying one.