Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Many cycling prices are ripoffs, but I think I've found the champ

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Many cycling prices are ripoffs, but I think I've found the champ

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 11:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Economies of scale should work for bike tires. They must sell tens of million every year.

A lot of boys toys like boats and airplanes and their parts are obscene. One friend says a boat is an object that makes a hole in the water that you fill with money.
Old 08-13-13, 12:06 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
don't blame the oil companies for the lack of innovation. blame the fact that coal and fossil fuels are still way cheaper and more practical than any alternatve/renewable energy source out there today. And in a free market, it's all about the bottomline. It's funny how oil companies always gets blamed, when they're just filling in the consumer demands. They're not unlike any other businesses in the free market.
Old 08-13-13, 12:31 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
We live in a modern world, so citing statistics from the dawn of the industrial age is no longer relevant.
You were the one mentioning the 'historic middle class' or something like that. I was just pointing out that the large middle class (particularly the self perception thereof) may well be a historical blip.

The middle class is an interesting concept. A number of sociological researchers over the years have conducted surveys of Americans asking them to place themselves in one of three categories; poor, middle class, or rich. In most of these surveys, the respondents have overwhelmingly placed themselves in the 'middle class'. The term has a popular meaning, which changes over time, and a mathematical definition, specifically the second and third quartiles according to income. I haven't seen any changes to indicate the quartiles are changing with any long term trend. However, if you mean that the poor may actually be realizing that they are actually poor, then I would agree with that.

Secondly, and I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but it's losing, not loosing. I've seen so many people get this wrong and I just don't see how people confuse the two.
Two items for you to consider; auto complete and dragon dictate, well those and simple laziness in informal communications.

California's fiscal problems at the state level don't mean the average income of Californians are declining. States like NY and California do a lot more for their residents on the local and state level than many other states. My roads in NY that traverse the state are paid for by tolls, not federal highway money. That said, there are systemic problems with the cost of living in both states that will have to be addressed if they want to maintain a viable middle class.
You are mistaken that NY roads are paid for without federal funds. Indeed NY receives some of the highest transportation funding of any state. Just start including things like MTA funding. Of course there is also the 1975 federal bailout of NYC...

Oh, much of the income in California is now being paid for with public tax dollars (public employees) which means the income level is artificially high. They have caused a pretty significant exodus of private employers.

And middle class here can mean an annual household income of $200K.
You are illustrating my point above about people's perception of being middle class. According to the data on the following table; https://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0706.pdf

the four income quartiles for NYS are approximately as follows:

1 poor less than $25,000
2 lower middle class $25,001 to about $35,000
3 upper middle class about $35,000 to about $100,000
4 rich over about $100,000
Old 08-13-13, 12:40 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
You are mistaken that NY roads are paid for without federal funds. Indeed NY receives some of the highest transportation funding of any state. Just start including things like MTA funding. Of course there is also the 1975 federal bailout of NYC...

Oh, much of the income in California is now being paid for with public tax dollars (public employees) which means the income level is artificially high. They have caused a pretty significant exodus of private employers.
First off, MTA funding from the federal government covers largely capital construction projects, not operating costs. Secondly, tolls that drivers pay on MTA bridges are diverted to operating costs. Those aren't paid by people who don't live here. Lastly, the federal government was repaid with interest.

As far as overall transportation funding, we're one of the richest states in the country, so we should get our share. That said, you should also look up the New York Thruway system and see how it functions. It's supported by tolls and extends for hundreds of miles and has various sections throughout the state. Can't say that about Texas.

If we decided we were no longer going to support the oil industry with the preferential policies we currently do, Texas would be in big trouble.
Old 08-13-13, 12:56 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, MTA funding from the federal government covers largely capital construction projects, not operating costs. Secondly, tolls that drivers pay on MTA bridges are diverted to operating costs. Those aren't paid by people who don't live here. Lastly, the federal government was repaid with interest.

As far as overall transportation funding, we're one of the richest states in the country, so we should get our share. That said, you should also look up the New York Thruway system and see how it functions. It's supported by tolls and extends for hundreds of miles and has various sections throughout the state. Can't say that about Texas.

If we decided we were no longer going to support the oil industry with the preferential policies we currently do, Texas would be in big trouble.
MTA receives almost all capital costs from the FTA (federal transit agency) as well as significant portion of operating costs are also covered by the feds. Further, no transit system in the U.S. is able to cover its operating costs solely with local funding, much less its capitol costs. When including all of the transit transportation funding NY has historically received far more federal transportation dollars then it contributed. In large part because of the strength of its political base.

You are also neglecting the vast number of non-toll roads in NYS. All of which require maintenance which also costs. Much of which is subsidized by federal funding.

I used to live in NYC, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.

As for Texas. Historically, Texas has received about an even balance between transfers (mostly do to their political power, a president and two speakers of the house that covered about 40+ years) of transportation dollars to the feds and what they received in return, though in more recent times that is no longer the case since most of the federal transportation disbursements have been largely of borrowed funds.

Oil isn't as significant to Texas as it was. The economy is quite diverse.
Old 08-13-13, 03:42 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
don't blame the oil companies for the lack of innovation. blame the fact that coal and fossil fuels are still way cheaper and more practical than any alternatve/renewable energy source out there today. And in a free market, it's all about the bottomline. It's funny how oil companies always gets blamed, when they're just filling in the consumer demands. They're not unlike any other businesses in the free market.
*Cough* bulll**** *cough*

Oil/Coal isn't cheaper than cleaner forms of energy, it's the fact that innovation is being put on hold so oil/coal companies can get rich. But hey, war over oil is fun and makes a few americans rich while Faux News force feeds bull**** to the ignorant masses. Who needs the tops of mountains anyway? **** nature!

Old 08-14-13, 01:27 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your right about the catalysts for automation.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but it's you're, not your. I've seen so many people get this wrong and I just don't see how people confuse the two.
Old 08-14-13, 02:46 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Hey lets talk about pseudo expensive bike tire..

Intractable political debate on a cycling form is both tasteless and unnecessary.

@OP Tires aren't to bad if you shop a bit yoiu can get your run of the mill clincher for ~$40 the prices really start to elevate when you get into tubulars and boutique tubulars. Try looking at some FMB's Challenges, Clements etc. it'll help lessen the wallet pain
Old 08-14-13, 09:35 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a free market though?
Old 08-14-13, 10:41 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
*Cough* bulll**** *cough*

Oil/Coal isn't cheaper than cleaner forms of energy, it's the fact that innovation is being put on hold so oil/coal companies can get rich. But hey, war over oil is fun and makes a few americans rich while Faux News force feeds bull**** to the ignorant masses. Who needs the tops of mountains anyway? **** nature!
where do you think the electricity from electric cars come from genius? clean energy?
Old 08-14-13, 12:08 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, but it's you're, not your. I've seen so many people get this wrong and I just don't see how people confuse the two.
I think it's meant more like "your right". It's a hip phrase used by many younger people. This would be opposite "my bad".
Old 08-14-13, 02:39 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
where do you think the electricity from electric cars come from genius? clean energy?
And you do realize that an electric car with an electric engine uses far less energy/fuel than a car with a combustible engine?

Leave energy out of it, look at our cell phone market. Locking a user into a two year contract doesn't drive innovation. Consumers should be able to buy a phone and switch carriers as they see fit. Compare are consumer electronics with Japan's and be prepared to be blown away.

Old 08-14-13, 04:29 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I think it's meant more like "your right". It's a hip phrase used by many younger people. This would be opposite "my bad".
That would be: "ur right"
ya feel me?
Old 08-15-13, 06:43 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
And you do realize that an electric car with an electric engine uses far less energy/fuel than a car with a combustible engine?

Leave energy out of it, look at our cell phone market. Locking a user into a two year contract doesn't drive innovation. Consumers should be able to buy a phone and switch carriers as they see fit. Compare are consumer electronics with Japan's and be prepared to be blown away.
are you assuming they get 100% energy conversion by burning coal to produce the energy in your electric car?
Old 08-15-13, 07:48 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
are you assuming they get 100% energy conversion by burning coal to produce the energy in your electric car?
Why don't you use google and figure out the benefits of an electric car yourself? I never said what you're claiming.

****, keep gas powered cars. We just bought a new car and it shuts off when you come to a full stop to save gasoline. This is a simple innovation that gives the user a higher mpg rate that could have been easily implemented years ago.

Old 08-19-13, 10:27 PM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike parts and accessories cost money. The sky is the limit on what you wish to spend on the sport. Some people may say to go get more college to make more money to buy more stuff. I advise to prioritize, budget and practice frugality so as to not waste money.

Just because humans are bombarded by sales media 24/7 telling them their lives are and always will be unfulfilled doesn't mean we need to blow ungodly amounts of money needlessly in some vain attempt to identify ourselves to others as "successful".

Wait for cycling deals, learn to work with what you've got until what you really need goes on sale.

Patience kids.
Old 08-20-13, 03:02 PM
terrya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one feeling this way.

Thank goodness for Craigslist! New Continental Attacks 700x22c (front) $25, new Continental Grand Prix 4000s 700x23c (back) $25. As AdrianFly stated, patience is a virtue, just hard to resist sometimes.
Old 08-20-13, 04:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Face it you are getting screwed by your Bosses . thats why you sweat the cost of a few Bike Parts..

bought in other places than a bike shop so they have to screw their employees too ..

its a downward spiral, called 'the race to the bottom'. and guess who loses..
Old 08-20-13, 05:33 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrya
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one feeling this way.

Thank goodness for Craigslist! New Continental Attacks 700x22c (front) $25, new Continental Grand Prix 4000s 700x23c (back) $25. As AdrianFly stated, patience is a virtue, just hard to resist sometimes.
I wouldn't count on those craigslist tires to actually be new... possible yes, but I would suspect that the sellers are using the word 'flexibly'...
Old 08-20-13, 07:05 PM
terrya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
I wouldn't count on those craigslist tires to actually be new... possible yes, but I would suspect that the sellers are using the word 'flexibly'...

They were in their respective boxes folded neatly.
Old 08-22-13, 11:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by terrya
They were in their respective boxes folded neatly.
Cleaning off and re-folding tires isn't very hard.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-13, 02:43 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think part of the reason bike tires cost more, is the level of engineering that goes into making a high performance, durable and flat resistant package that weight so little. Light weight and no flats make expensive
Old 08-22-13, 04:11 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Forget tires, let's play this game with pedals...

105's

Dura Ace ($200 more expensive than 105's)

Old 08-23-13, 03:10 AM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're trippin' if you think decent car tires only cost $75 anymore though. My last set of Pirelli A/T's were $130/ea on sale($160 regular price), and that was only a 16"-wheel size. You get into 19's or 20's with anything and you're over $200/ea no matter what.