Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the point of cassette over 28 tooth?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the point of cassette over 28 tooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 03:35 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've always thought a 50, 40, 30 in the front, and an 11-32/34 9 spd in the back is PERFECT! The 34 - 34 on my Sirrus just makes it livable! Many times I find myself wishing for that 26 on the front of my Crosstrail..... lol
Old 03-31-18, 05:25 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I've always thought a 50, 40, 30 in the front, and an 11-32/34 9 spd in the back is PERFECT!
That's basically what the new Sora and Tiagra triples are. 30/39/50.

IMO this is the best all around modern group, it has a 11-32 option. And only $390 at Ribble. I might buy one just to have it for some future build while I can still get it. Can't find anyone selling a complete Sora 3030.

Old 03-31-18, 06:26 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I always thought 53/39 was road standard. Isn't 50/34 "compact"?
For roadbikes; 42/52 was the standard. At least up till 00-something.
Old 03-31-18, 06:55 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I really enjoy my 42/26 crank with an 11-36 10 speed cassette. On a 29 x 2.00 I can pedal up to about 25 mph before it gets too hectic. I commute at an average speed of 13-16mph and don't frequently use my 11t. It's the perfect everyday gear range for me around where I live. I take the road bike out and thrash it every now and then, but it has 50/34 with an 11-34 10 speed. We have some long climbs, and since it has downtube shifters, I don't mind the bigger gaps between cogs.
Old 03-31-18, 08:30 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
haha this is too funny. Dura Ace and Ultegra Triple will be super expensive retro parts in the year 2030 you guys just wait and see. Time to stockpile this stuff when the new generation of riders on electronic shifters think 8sp is "vintage"

Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
The point is hills.

I have a 48-36-26 crank and an 11-34 cogset. My limit is 14% incline, where after 300 yds I get off and push. Obviously, it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I dream of a 22 or 24 chainring and a 36 (or even 40 if I could shoehorn it in front of the derailleur...).

No, not all of us are racers (very few at my current age... 65).

I dread the day that triple cranks will not be available, I feel that I should hoard complete drivetrains for the future.
Old 03-31-18, 08:34 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
not sure the 22t on the mtb triple is the smallest front chainring that I ride. I do wonder if there are even smaller chainrings. I mix 8 to 10 speed on all my rides so they work ok.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
10T chainring?

The big thing of reducing the smallest rear sprocket from 13T or 14T down to 11T is that one can have wider range in the rear without going to huge cassettes. So an 11/28 cassette gives about a 2.5x range, or would be about the same as a 14/35 freewheel

But, the biggest benefit is when one also reduces the chainring sizes. But, that only works if one is content to sacrifice the top-end gearing. Perhaps adding new sprockets should be top end, bottom end, and filling in the middle.

The other thing that happened is that the standard bike has gone to wider rear clusters... in part available with adding a bunch of sprockets, and still allowing reasonably tight gearing for at least several sprockets.

So, a 14/19, 5s freewheel gives single step gearing except for the last sprocket.
One could make a similar freewheel with single step gearing from say 11T to 18T, then doubles from 20, 22, and 24, or whatever you want... nonetheless, a lot more single step gearing as one shifts from 5x2 to 11x2 gearing.

As far as larger rear sprockets... it certainly depends on what kind of riding a person does. I do a lot of hauling cargo of one sort or another. Usually less than 50 pounds or so, but sometimes quite a bit more than that. And, have recently started experimenting with both larger rear sprockets, and smaller front sprockets.

Also, if one is riding steep hills on loose or wet surfaces (gravel, dirt, moss, etc), then one gets better traction sitting down with smoother circular motion of the pedals, and thus benefits from lower overall gearing. Standing can cause wheels to spin due to shifting weight forward, and a jerky power curve.
Old 03-31-18, 09:12 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'll just stick to my archaic 2/7 14 speed setups. Adapt myself to the situation.
Old 03-31-18, 11:04 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I saw a 1x w/ 10-50 the other day (mtn bike).
Old 04-01-18, 12:02 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
I dunno, I think IGHs and Pinion-style gearboxes will gain more market share as they get less expensive.
That's nice to wish for but I don't see it ever happening. For one thing, cogs and chainrings can be blanked on a punch-press, whereas a lot of the parts of internal-geared systems have to be machined, which costs a lot more. Final assembly is more costly, too.

I think there's another factor at work here in the kind of customers that gravitate to each kind of system. Look at European utility bikes: no derailleurs (see also Worksman's line). These are often not recreational vehicles, and they need to last a very long time (because they're expensive) and they need to perform consistently with minimal maintenance and tolerate being left outdoors year-round. Fully-enclosed chain-cases, internal-geared hubs, hub brakes ... see the pattern? The important working parts are kept away from the weather. These are tools, not toys, and they don't get replaced until they're irrepairable. So the demand is suppressed for this market.

If, say, Rohloff could make their Speedhubs for $350 retail, I have no doubt it'd knock a big dent in the derailleur market. I think a lot of recreational cyclists would really love a good trouble-free transmission. I just don't think it's going to happen.
Old 04-01-18, 12:21 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
That's nice to wish for but I don't see it ever happening.
With the way technology advances and gets cheaper these days, I can see it really taking off in the next 10-20 years, particularly as more people use bicycles for actual transportation instead of just for recreation.

I'm just glad we have the options (expensive as they may currently be) already!
Old 04-01-18, 03:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
For roadbikes; 42/52 was the standard. At least up till 00-something.
39 became the most common by the late 80's-early 90's. Though my '97 Raleigh R700 came new a 42/53.
Old 04-01-18, 03:49 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
That's nice to wish for but I don't see it ever happening. For one thing, cogs and chainrings can be blanked on a punch-press, whereas a lot of the parts of internal-geared systems have to be machined, which costs a lot more. Final assembly is more costly, too.
Sintered metal can help offset the costs and reduce machining, it's really come along way and will continue to improve. Not arguing against you, just thought I'd post this link since you mentioned punching out rings. Of course like you said there's still final assembly.

The powder metallurgy process is a precision metal forming technology well-suited to producing gears | Machine Design
Old 04-01-18, 07:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Surprised no one is trying to implement the use for a differential carrier at BB driven by the crank, then use of a driveshaft going outback to an IGH. You'd eliminate the RD, FD, FCGs, chain & most of the associated shifting components, reduce BB load, & while never needing to worry about X chaining.
Shaft diameter would be tiny, weight could be a fraction of the chain, Diff Carrier should be comparable in weight to a triple crankset, maintenance & service time would become less frequent.
Old 04-01-18, 07:45 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The future: road riders will eventually age into gravel for that all-around capability. Less group riding to stay up with the pull. For the budget driven riders, its making a road bike to be like a gravel and getting the gearing for it.

For the big spenders, its a brand new bike. Ultegra 11 speed 11-32 and a crank like 52/36.
Old 04-01-18, 07:59 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
I am keeping my triples. I don't care about having the latest tech, so it will remain viable for me. Its not like the world got flatter just because SRAM wants to sell folks new stuff to replace their not yet worn out slightly older stuff.
Old 04-01-18, 08:20 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I am keeping my triples. I don't care about having the latest tech, so it will remain viable for me. Its not like the world got flatter just because SRAM wants to sell folks new stuff to replace their not yet worn out slightly older stuff.
Amen!
Old 04-01-18, 08:44 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I use 1x on my mountain bike (32 chainring) and on my gravel bike (40 chainring). I've never had a problem with either. The range is certainly sufficient. I've noticed some larger steps between gears but it's far from a deal killer. Then again, I used to have a gravel bike with a 50/32 11-28 setup and that was great as well.

The only real advantage I see for 1x in road or gravel applications is SRAM's ability to run a narrow/wide ring and a clutched RD, which is a huge plus on rough washboard for eliminating chain slap, better chain retention and quiet running. That's the reason I went with Rival 1 and I do indeed love it on more technical gravel. This advantage is going away now that Shimano is introducing a clutched Ultegra RD that works with 2x.

The advantages of 1x for MTB are larger: easier suspension engineering, easier BB/chainstay packaging, cleaned up bars with room for lockout/dropper levers, less need for finely graded gearing etc.

I don't think I'll ever go 1x for skinny-tire road or touring. Triples for loaded touring are awesome.
Old 04-01-18, 01:27 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have an 11-32 cassette on my road bike and don't think I could go back to anything under a 30. Nice for hills and rolling terrain. I might try a 1x setup next time around for sale of simplicity.
Old 04-01-18, 01:35 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Surprised no one is trying to implement the use for a differential carrier at BB driven by the crank, then use of a driveshaft going outback to an IGH. You'd eliminate the RD, FD, FCGs, chain & most of the associated shifting components, reduce BB load, & while never needing to worry about X chaining.
Shaft diameter would be tiny, weight could be a fraction of the chain, Diff Carrier should be comparable in weight to a triple crankset, maintenance & service time would become less frequent.
You'd be giving up drive train efficiency. Also, the driveshaft winds up needing as much maintenance as the chain drive train, not as frequently but more involved when you do need it.
Old 04-01-18, 03:59 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
There's a place for everything in riding. I have Specialized Tarmac with a compact double. I built a gravel/touring bike with mountain bike triple gearing. I built a carbon fiber commuter with 1X11. That 1x11 will do just about all I need it to until I go to the mountains. For me a 44x28 with a 32 tooth large on the cassette would cover everything I do. I guess if I ever did loaded touring in the mountains I'd want the triple.
Old 04-02-18, 10:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
The point is hills.

I have a 48-36-26 crank and an 11-34 cogset. My limit is 14% incline, where after 300 yds I get off and push. Obviously, it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I dream of a 22 or 24 chainring and a 36 (or even 40 if I could shoehorn it in front of the derailleur...).

No, not all of us are racers (very few at my current age... 65).

I dread the day that triple cranks will not be available, I feel that I should hoard complete drivetrains for the future.
Dream? Just run an older mt triple, 64/104 bcd. 22,24,26 for the low, 32,34,36 for the middle. and 42,44,46,48 for the big. I use several. And 22-36 is used all the time on my Karate Monkey for loaded bikepacking.
Old 04-02-18, 11:01 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My fat bike has a 36x22 up front and an 11-36 in the back.

I rarely use big-little, and I rarely use little-big. I'd love to split the difference with a 28 and be done with it, if for no other reason than to remove the need to shift the front right in the range I regularly use the bike. 28-36 would give me the low end of what I regularly use in the current 22.
Old 04-02-18, 01:35 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Dream? Just run an older mt triple, 64/104 bcd. 22,24,26 for the low, 32,34,36 for the middle. and 42,44,46,48 for the big. I use several. And 22-36 is used all the time on my Karate Monkey for loaded bikepacking.
It's a more complicated dream... I want to incorporate brifters in the drivetrain... My 10 speed in the back complicates matters...

Changing chainrings is the least of my problems!
Old 04-02-18, 01:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
I notice that bigger tooth cassette and long cage rear derailleur are trendy now with a single front chainring. Is all this simply to improve cadence? For road riders, why not just shrink the compact to even a smaller chainring (22t? in the future?). This helps reduce weight with a smaller cassette and front chainrings. I guess I am new at this just trying to make sense of all the options available to cyclists.
The point It is not so much to have a cog over 28t as to increase the range of the cassette.

The range of an 11-28 cassette is 255%.

For standard freehubs, you can’t go smaller than 11t for the smallest cog, so if you want to increase the range over 255%, you need to increase the size of the largest cog.
Old 04-02-18, 07:25 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
There are these things called "hills" and "mountains," and which are hard to ride over when you don't have enough gearing. I have a bike which runs a combination of Dura Ace and XTR parts, with a single ring in front, and 11 in the back with a 34t low gear. This gets me over the big hills pretty well without needing a granny gear. Besides having one less ring on the front, I also don't need a front derailleur, cable, or shifter. Easy-pleasy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.