Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstand?

Old 06-28-19, 08:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Man, my family has a trip to CO coming up. We can hang 4 bikes on the car. None of them are suited for rugged off-road, but this looks like it might just be halfway do-able.
Old 06-28-19, 08:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Man, my family has a trip to CO coming up. We can hang 4 bikes on the car. None of them are suited for rugged off-road, but this looks like it might just be halfway do-able.
Going up from the Winter Park side is probably a bit smoother than the Rollinsville side.

I’d suggest the Rio Grande Trail from Aspen to Glenwood Springs for a family trip. It’s long...almost 50 miles...but it’s all downhill from Aspen. You can even catch a bus from Glenwood that will carry your bikes up to Aspen. It’s the best 50 mile downhill ride you can do in Colorado.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-28-19 at 10:11 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-29-19, 05:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Going up from the Winter Park side is probably a bit smoother than the Rollinsville side.

I’d suggest the Rio Grande Trail from Aspen to Glenwood Springs for a family trip. It’s long...almost 50 miles...but it’s all downhill from Aspen. You can even catch a bus from Glenwood that will carry your bikes up to Aspen. It’s the best 50 mile downhill ride you can do in Colorado.
Thanks for posting these. These sound like rides I could get my better half and non-mtb cycling friends to do if we ever get out there.

Sorry, off topic......

Kickstands.
Old 06-29-19, 06:28 AM
here hold my ha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Oddly enough, the place where they are the most useful is in my garage.
My husband would like me to stop leaning my bike against his car. However, when I suggested getting one of those stands for it, he was 'researching ideas', so against his car it leans. I wonder if a kickstand is one of the things he's researching...
Likes For here hold my ha:
Old 06-29-19, 07:38 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by here hold my ha
My husband would like me to stop leaning my bike against his car. However, when I suggested getting one of those stands for it, he was 'researching ideas', so against his car it leans. I wonder if a kickstand is one of the things he's researching...
How much research can it take?

Just get hooks for a rack for the garage. Bikes on kickstands take too much space and risk being knocked over.
Old 06-29-19, 07:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
How much research can it take?
On Bike Forums?

A lot.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-29-19, 09:20 AM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
This combination of bizarre punctuation, snobbery disguised as anti-snobbery, and casual misogyny, is peak bikeforums.
Yes, and I am a fan.
Likes For wobrien:
Old 06-29-19, 09:28 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
>>SNIP<<

Bikes on kickstands take too much space and risk being knocked over.
I've NEVER had a bike get knocked over with a kickstand but from leaning? Many times. Even a stiff breeze will do it. Not me, but as usual YMMV.
Likes For gnappi:
Old 06-29-19, 09:39 AM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I have never understood the aversion to kickstands. with all of the expensive gadgets that people put on their bikes many still resist kickstands. Do they weigh too much??? Give me a break. A filled water bottle weighs a lot more. I lose more weight than a kick-stand on an hour long ride. When I bought my CAAD 8 the guy was selling me all sorts of stuff but wouldn't sell me a kickstand. I don't think the store even carries them. I don't get it. I know that there are all sorts of contortions that you can do to get around having a kickstand but the resistance just seems weird to me. I suggest a rear wheel kickstand and live a good biking life.
Likes For wobrien:
Old 06-29-19, 10:04 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
I have never understood the aversion to kickstands. with all of the expensive gadgets that people put on their bikes many still resist kickstands. Do they weigh too much??? Give me a break. A filled water bottle weighs a lot more. I lose more weight than a kick-stand on an hour long ride. When I bought my CAAD 8 the guy was selling me all sorts of stuff but wouldn't sell me a kickstand. I don't think the store even carries them. I don't get it. I know that there are all sorts of contortions that you can do to get around having a kickstand but the resistance just seems weird to me. I suggest a rear wheel kickstand and live a good biking life.
+1
Not only is a kickstand an essential accessory to all my bikes, I'm questioning the validity of a single leg kickstand when the two leg ones are much more stable and make it easier to clean and service my bike. I didn't know they still made them when I bought my bike last year. If I can find one locally I might switch out the single leg stand I have now for a 2 leg model.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 06-29-19, 02:24 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
+1
Not only is a kickstand an essential accessory to all my bikes, I'm questioning the validity of a single leg kickstand when the two leg ones are much more stable and make it easier to clean and service my bike. I didn't know they still made them when I bought my bike last year. If I can find one locally I might switch out the single leg stand I have now for a 2 leg model.
Ooh, a new BF debate: 2 versus 1 legged kickstands!

I'm kidding of course.
Old 06-29-19, 07:31 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I always loved the Pletscher Double but getting harder to use on today's frames and with disc brake cable/hose in the way on chainstay. I switched to the Montague rackstand and it's ok. Makes a double use out of it and saves weight over rack and kickstand.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-29-19, 08:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
In the hopes of discussion rather than an argument, here’s my perspective. It’s not about weight but utility. I’ve had many bikes with kickstands. Everyone of them eventually ends up on the ground because the bike fell over. Not all the time but often enough that I felt the bike would just be better off on the ground.

I find this especially true when it comes to loaded touring bikes. The kickstand simply isn’t up to the job. If I used the kickstand and tried to get into panniers or adjust the load, I would spend more time trying to hold up the bike than getting what I want out of the bags. A slight gust of wind would easily topple over the bike. Park the bike on a sandy patch or on a slight incline or near traffic and over the bike would go. If a piece of equipment won’t do what is designed to do or if it’s too much of a hassle to deal with, I’m not going to carry it.

For example, a kickstand would be useless here

My bike 12 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Or here
Beresford SD 4 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Even here it’s just easier to just lean it up against the wall

2015-05-03 11.38.54 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

When it comes to off-road, the kickstand is a liability. A kickstand could deploy on a high speed impact and would cause more problems than just falling over. Even if the kickstand wasn’t a liability, the places where you have to stop are seldom firm or even. For example, this road had 4” of gravel piled on the side of the road.

DSCN1146 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Eventually, I just got used to not using one and don’t miss it. Every time I see a bike with a kickstand fall over at some event, it just reinforces my choice.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-30-19, 06:19 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
I always loved the Pletscher Double but getting harder to use on today's frames and with disc brake cable/hose in the way on chainstay. I switched to the Montague rackstand and it's ok. Makes a double use out of it and saves weight over rack and kickstand.
So, what if you’re using the top of the rack for stuff?
Old 06-30-19, 08:06 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I too get frustrated when my bike falls over resting on the stand. If the bike is on the stand on wet grass or it's a windy day, I'm always on edge wondering when it's going to fall, So I must stay alert and close enough to grab it when I see it tipping. It kind of takes the pleasure out of a rest stop. I never considered leaning the bike on something solid when I have a stand. But I think I will start when it's available under those conditions.

It seems my frame mounted center kickstand is more stable then the rear stand I had before. Also, as mentioned in other post's, we might consider using a double leg stand for the bike. But it does look pretty busy down there, and it might get in the way. I don't know if it is practical in some instances. I would probably go to LBS with the bike where I might be able to try it out before buying one.

For the most part though I find the convince of a single leg center stand more then justifies the $20 and .4% increase in weight.
Old 06-30-19, 08:18 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Probably ought to use quick detach bags, or don't use the rackstand until your back home and your ride is over.

It's a clever idea, but not suitable for all situations obviously.
Old 06-30-19, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have 2 on this bike , it was built that way .. 2004, in NL.

Old 06-30-19, 11:25 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I usually don't unless bike camping then just take stuff off at campsite. But mainly for supplies I take panniers off and use in store as grocery bags.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 07-01-19, 11:39 AM
nworcest

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Do the pros on The Tour of France use kickstands? That should settle it.
gm
The support-system for their bikes is far more complex...

Or perhaps a bunch of helium balloons are an alternative to keep it upright.

- Ned - Seattle

Last edited by nworcest; 07-01-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 11:46 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I like the rear chainstay/seatstay type of kickstand. I use mine in conjunction with a velcro strap to hold the front brake lever. There are many places where I've stopped and will stop in the future where there is nothing at all to lean a bicycle against. I'm really not a fan of laying my bicycle down.

YMMV Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-01-19, 12:06 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I have an adjustable kickstand. Works most of the time unless the wind knocks it over. Even if I lean it those sudden gusts keep it upright if its leaning and the kickstand in down on other side. If I had to get a new one it would be one that snaps down on both sides.
Old 07-01-19, 12:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Being in San Francisco 35 years ago, I got a Japan domestic market rear triangle kickstand, it locks in the down position..
Old 07-01-19, 12:28 PM
Swanndog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never used as they can end up in your spokes . And do a lot of damage .
Old 07-01-19, 12:44 PM
michaeldb

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
there once was a product called Flick-stand. It went on the downtube and a metal piece would flick down and lock the front tire inline with the down tube. it would also keep the front wheel from rolling. then you could lean the bike against something and it would slide and roll.
I have one on my bike for ever. it's was never perfect but better than the bike falling down and its was only a ounce or two in weight.
Old 07-01-19, 12:57 PM
kcdoug

Bikes: Mid-80s Vitus 979; '85 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a "click-stand" and like it. Go take a look on their web site. Unfortunately, I have had enough posts on here to give a URL, but it's easy to fine by searching. It works quite well on my bike that I don't really want to bolt a kick-stand onto.
-Doug

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.