Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike locks and alarms

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike locks and alarms

Old 06-30-19, 06:58 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Bike locks and alarms

I used the search here, but without being able to search thread titles the results are less than wonderful. For immediate use I got a Bell cable lock, but I know they're less than wonderful.

I don't want to have a HEAVY clanking U lock on the bike 100% of the time so what are some options that make the bike reasonably secure to all but the most determined thief? Sure there are "reviews" on the web, but I'm suspicious of the results that can easily be skewed by ad revenue.

Also, are locks with vibration alarms of any real use?

Oh, my bike for now is a Cannondale Mtn bike without disk brakes.
Old 06-30-19, 07:13 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you leave it unattended for long periods of time, no lock will prevent someone from taking it or parts off it.
Old 06-30-19, 07:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
There is no lock that is going to guarantee the bike is safe from theft. Many riders use both a U-lock and cable. That allows the bike to be locked to something and the cable run through the wheels. I have seen the cable also run through the chain rings. I know nothing about bike alarms. There are threads on these forums regarding bike locks.

Last edited by delbiker1; 06-30-19 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling/language
Old 06-30-19, 08:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Security .. hardened chain , not a cable .. a Ring lock stays on the frame, secures rear wheel ..

A Folding link lock * , stows easier than a U lock..

*Abus Bordo 6500 best of type.

Old 06-30-19, 08:38 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
I just use a length of chain slid through a length of inner tube and a good quality combination lock. I just toss it in a bag or basket. If not planning on leaving bike unattended, I leave it at home. If commuting, I leave it chained to the rack at work.
Old 06-30-19, 09:21 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I get that nothing is perfect, I just want to slow a thief down, or make them work hard at it :-)

The longest I'd leave it is to run into a supermarket for a few things. I was trying to avoid it but now I'm thinking of a rear rack and pannier bags so the U lock or chain and lock may be the ticket.
Old 06-30-19, 09:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
# 1) I don't live in So Fla..

I use my Heavy Touring bike for my Grocery trips .. Panniers come off empty , get re fitted full ..

here is an '08 image of my ring lock , and chain , (Axa of NL made..) pin on chain secures in the catch in the lock.

chain around seat post, secures front wheel and goes around bike rack in front of the store .

Old 06-30-19, 09:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
ABUS ABUS ABUS and ABUS! Seriously if you are looking for a lock get an ABUS lock especially if weight is a concern, most locks are heavy because with cheap steel and poor hardening you need extra material to make it secure. However with virgin steel that is properly treated and hardened and well tested you don't need all the weight. Plus they really test their mounts to make sure they aren't going to have issues. They have to replace parts on their test bike rig quite often because they break parts on it before breaking the lock mounts.

If you want easy to carry but very secure the ABUS Bordo series is second to none. Some flexibility like a chain lock with some rigidity like a u-lock all in a very easy to carry package that has a case that can easily mount on the frame or to a set of bottle cage bosses.

If you want an alarm lock then ABUS again with the Bordo 5000 Alarm which has a speaker at the top. Just kidding, that isn't the speaker so a thief will likely spend time trying to disable it and end up breaking a cover that is superficial and have less time to break the lock and at 100db I wouldn't want to stick around.

I mention ABUS heavily not because they have given me free stuff or because they are really nice but because they are focused on making a top quality product that does the job. They made a lot of the lock products we take for Granit all the time (Granit X-Plus is generally some of their highest security stuff for bikes) I like the fact they are owned by ABUS not by another company and they make their locks in identical factories whether in Germany or Asia and much of the equipment used is made by them or for them so they can make a quality product consistently. They have been in the business for a very long time and are a family run company with many long time employees some as long as 50-60 years.

I have seen a lot of locks and have sold a lot of locks and owned a reasonable number of locks and I would go with ABUS 100% of the time for sure. I can trust their product and know they test the heck out of it and make sure it is of good quality and it comes from a decent company. Also they make a lot of products you can get keyed alike meaning one key for multiple locks so families, fleets or people who use multiple locks it is quite nice. Especially with e-bikes becoming popular being able to key a battery lock, a frame lock and a folding or u-lock together and then have a heavy duty padlock for the house without having to have many different keys is nice. Plus with that you get many of the same key so you have plenty of backups.

Of course any lock is useless if you don't lock your bike up properly and in the right spot. If you lock with the ABUS Granit-X Plus chain by just the frame to a chainlink fence and they take it, the lock didn't matter though it certainly will be a fun one to try and take off back at the warehouse. Totally doable because no lock is 100% but really tough to do.
Likes For veganbikes: