Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What side/spoke lighting/reflectors do you like?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-26-19, 01:18 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

I'm looking to brigten up my profile view now that it's getting dark during the commutes. I currently have front and rear blinkies, another brighter constant front light, and a rear helmet light that slowly pulses or is steady. I also wear a hiviz yellow jacket.

Should i just throw the stock reflectors back on the wheels? I know there's all sorts of spoke lights, tape, leg bands, etc. What's good?
Old 09-26-19, 01:42 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Lightweights for wheels. Precut 3M reflective tape that wraps around your spokes. Take about an hour to install start to finish, but they're only noticeable when you need them to be, and are also visible 360 degrees around the bike. The pack covers with dots you can add to your dropouts and helmet too.

These are significantly better than stock reflectors (which have to be just right to reflect), but if you're saving a buck, just use the reflectors.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-26-19, 01:44 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Lightweights for wheels. Precut 3M reflective tape that wraps around your spokes. Take about an hour to install start to finish, but they're only noticeable when you need them to be, and are also visible 360 degrees around the bike. The pack covers with dots you can add to your dropouts and helmet too.
Ha! I was actually at REI holding that pack in my hand last night. I wasn't quite sure what they were. I guess they are just little strips of tape. Do they stay stuck/attached well?
Old 09-26-19, 01:46 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Reflective sidewall tires

If you need/ want tires, you can look for ones with the 3M material in the sidewalls. There's even reflective handlebar tape!
Old 09-26-19, 01:49 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by TXBDan
Ha! I was actually at REI holding that pack in my hand last night. I wasn't quite sure what they were. I guess they are just little strips of tape. Do they stay stuck/attached well?
The easiest easy to get them off is to slice them with a utility knife. If you break spokes, they go with the spoke. Last spoke broke at the nipple and i had to slice the tape off to get the spoke through the hub flange. Add long as you follow directions, they'll stay put.
Old 09-26-19, 05:33 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
If you need/ want tires, you can look for ones with the 3M material in the sidewalls. There's even reflective handlebar tape!
I'm a big fan of reflective sidewall tires for night riding. Those two big reflective circles are hard to mistake for anything other than a bicycle.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-26-19, 05:44 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by FiftySix
I'm a big fan of reflective sidewall tires for night riding. Those two big reflective circles are hard to mistake for anything other than a bicycle.
Want not do bot, sidewalls and spokes?
Old 09-27-19, 06:50 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Want not do bot, sidewalls and spokes?
Why not do both? Nothing wrong with that if one wants to.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-27-19, 07:16 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Why not do both? Nothing wrong with that if one wants to.
Yes. That. Thank you. I do both on my commuter/tourer. The Michelin Protek tires are a little heavy though. I've found that Biketiresdirect.com has the easiest sorting of the online shops for tires and allows you to sort for reflective sidewalls.
Old 09-27-19, 09:27 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I'm a fan of 3M reflector tape. I have it all over my commuter, and just put some all over my daughter's bike last night, since she is now riding to school.

You can get it in a color to match your bike - anything from Aluminum to black and colors in between. You can't see the tape on my bikes in the day. I also put a couple of strips on my wheels. I've seen these advertised for sale - but it is easy to cut them yourself.

you can get them online, or just go down to an autoparts store and get the white or red ones (or just check them out to see what they look like).
Old 09-29-19, 01:05 AM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
None really. My front and rear light are bright enough. I do use Schwalbe marathon plus tires that have a reflective strip, but that's as far as I go. But I also do only urban riding on well lit streets. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a lot.
Likes For harshbarj:
Old 09-29-19, 03:35 AM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Yes. That. Thank you. I do both on my commuter/tourer. The Michelin Protek tires are a little heavy though. I've found that Biketiresdirect.com has the easiest sorting of the online shops for tires and allows you to sort for reflective sidewalls.
I got Michelin Protek Cross (1mm puncture layer) and mine came with reflective sidewalls. I wanted plain black sidewalls but this was all REI had when I was ready to order. I'd thought I would just magic marker over the reflective strip but the more I thought about it the more I was like you know, those reflective things might not be a bad idea. I don't like the whitewall look -- I'd rather have a bike that looks like SRS BZNSS -- but getting smeared across the pavement is a bad look too, so I'm keeping em as they are.

I agree about heavy. These new ones weigh almost exactly as much as the semi-knobby WTB Prowler 54s on my beater. But I need something cheap-to-replace and sturdy for the unbelievable amount of debris that builds up in the breakdown lanes along the highway outside my neighborhood where all rides start.

Last edited by rseeker; 09-29-19 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 05:56 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
I've been using some spoke reflectors Bezos sold me (Salzmann 3M Spoke Reflectors, Made with 3M Scotchlite, Patented Spoke reflectors for Bikes (36 Pieces), by Salzmann). I can't link it due to <10 posts.

Work so far on both aero spokes and round spokes. Very easy to install, move, and remove. Definitely light up well with the flashlight when shining in the garage, or the helmet bike light I use as I'm loading up in the dark. Also look very shiny when I peek down when riding. Not too noticable if you're worried about bike looks.

On my MTB commuter, I had bought some Schwalbe Marathon Mondials with the reflective strip built in. Those shine like crazy too. Will definitely keep an eye out for reflective tires when I buy replacements (I think the GP4000SII had the option depending on seller, hopefully the 5000 will also).
Old 09-30-19, 07:06 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
This.

Aside from lights, the tire sidewalls are the brightest thing on my bike when headlights are shining on them.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 09-30-19, 07:21 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I use these on my bikes.

3M Spoke Reflectors

Not on every spoke on the wheel but on spokes on either side of the tire valve so that its noticeable that it's a moving wheel from the side.
Old 09-30-19, 09:29 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I'm a fan of 3M reflector tape. I have it all over my commuter, and just put some all over my daughter's bike last night, since she is now riding to school.

You can get it in a color to match your bike - anything from Aluminum to black and colors in between. You can't see the tape on my bikes in the day. I also put a couple of strips on my wheels. I've seen these advertised for sale - but it is easy to cut them yourself.

you can get them online, or just go down to an autoparts store and get the white or red ones (or just check them out to see what they look like).
True story.

3M reflective tape works nicely.

I have it on my rims and all over my helmet.

You really can't see it during the daytime at all (if you color match...I have black on black so it's easy to color match)

At night it's not as bright as the reflective sidewall on a tire. Whatever they make those reflective tire strips out of it the top of the line in light reflection. But the 3M tape does a fine job of complimenting the tire reflector stripe. And up on my helmet that is 3 feet from anything else reflective, it shows up in car headlights nicely. (I'm parked my ride in the dark and aimed my car at if to I can see first hand. The 3M tape works. The tire reflector stripe works better. Actual lights work the best. The plastic spoke reflectors that come on bikes are useless and have been thrown away.)
Old 09-30-19, 11:23 AM
chas58

Those Salzman 3m spoke reflectors are a great idea. I ended up making some myself by using 3m tape and a plastic coffee straw, but next time I'll probably buy the real thing. Of course, if you do not have box section rim or rim brakes - putting the tape directly on your wheel works great too (the deeper the rim, the better). I typically put a reflective stripe on both sides of my valve stem to make it easy to see where the stem is - and make the wheel reflective.

REI lightweights. I started off with those years ago, but realized the price was insane. $15 for something tiny, when I can go to an auto store and get four 18" strips for $5.
https://www.pepboys.com/pilot-automo...roduct/1746967

and yes, the white is very bright. The Black is fairly dim.
The black 3M tape is about as bright as a license plate
The white 3M is as bright as you are going to get. Well, its as bright as the white on a highway sign.
Old 10-01-19, 09:18 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
These.... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and these on the bike, on the helmet etc..... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-03-19, 10:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Nothing wrong with using reflective stuff as well as lights, but reflective stuff is never a substitute for lights. I have a SpokeLit in my rear wheel and spoke reflectors on my front wheel.

You can get those spoke reflectors on ebay for about $3.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-03-19, 10:15 AM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.planetbike.com/store/bot...ide-light.html

Likes For Secret Squirrel:
Old 10-03-19, 10:43 AM
chas58

my wife bought a couple of sets of these locally (came in a 4 pack). Super cheap, kinda fun and silly, and give me the side visibility that is lacking with front/rear headlights. They come on when the wheel moves.

Mine are blue. After I used these a while I realized that cars are especially cautious around me at night, because my blue rear wheel light in combo with the flashing rear red light - well, it kinda looks like police strobes.

bike light with no battery mountain road bike bicycle lights LEDS Tyre Tire Valve Caps Wheel spokes LED Light BL0157 ? Buy Bike Lights

Old 10-04-19, 01:33 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i have black reflective tape from Tim here on the forums. I have yet to install but I think it is getting dark enough to warrant thinking about applying the tape.
Old 10-06-19, 02:03 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
I won't buy tyres if they don't have reflective sidewalls. Which is a slight issue if you want something a bit lighter or more like "skinwalls".
Sticking reflective tape on your bike or spokes always feels a bit like it is hacked together.

I have good experiences with most of Schwalbe's offerings and have been riding the Continental Urban GP 35-622 a lot the past 6 months. They use black reflective 3M stripes that won't show up during the day but still work really well at night.

Another fun one is the NiteIze SpokeLit, especially the disco version. They draw a lot of attention.
Old 10-06-19, 06:26 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by JaccoW

I have good experiences with most of Schwalbe's offerings and have been riding the Continental Urban GP 35-622 a lot the past 6 months. They use black reflective 3M stripes that won't show up during the day but still work really well at night.
Black reflective strips on tires? I haven't seen that until now. Looks good in the daylight photos.

I'd like to see photos of the black and the white reflective strips next to each other in a night photo.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-06-19, 08:45 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I like to mount a flasher on the front fork to let the light dance off the spokes (in addition to reflectors).

Last year I added monkey lights and LED shoes (I use toe clips).
(I had just bought a new rear wheel and the reflector wasn't on yet ion this video).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.