Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 920 build up notes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trek 920 build up notes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 08:49 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Trek 920 build up notes

I've been a bike shop mechanic for about 10 years now, so I thought I would give you guys some of the mental notes I took while I was building my personal 920. Just kind of a "things to watch out for" kind of write up, not an in depth "this is how you build a bike from a box" thing. I don't go on long trips, but two or three 3-5 day trips per year isn't abnormal for me. This bike will mainly be my commuter and grocery getter.

1) SIZE THE FRAME ON TOP TUBE LENGTH, NOT SEAT TUBE! The stock stem length on all of the 920 sizes is ridiculous. When you look at the geo chart, the 56 (what I normally ride) has a 100mm stem (what I normally ride) but the top tube is 57.8cm long. My 2012 Tricross Sport is 56cm square, and it came stock with a 100mm stem. It's comfortable. The 920 combination of long top tube, long stem, and ridiculously long TRP brake hoods makes this bike feel like a limo. I came into this purchase knowing these things, and also knowing the bars and brake/ shifters were going to be replaced almost immediately. If you're planning on buying a 920 and immediately setting out on a 3,000 mile tour; size the bike on top tube.

2) Your spokes are loose. When the bike comes out of the box, the spokes are loose. The wheels were basically true and round, but tension wasn't as high as I like to see, especially when this bike has been getting lambasted for being an adventure bike with "only" 28 spokes. I think it's a bad idea, and I'm probably going to end up building a 36 hole rear wheel at some point. I also see no evidence of any spoke prep or linseed oil, which is fine by me. I'll do some measuring at work to see if NDS and DS are the same length. I'm hoping they are. Asymmetrical rims are awesome.

3) Your bottom bracket needs faced, and the bottom bracket cups have no loctite on them. I like using the bottom bracket facing tools, so it wasn't a pain for me to remove the BB and face it. It came out of the box decently square, but the paint wasn't uniform thickness around the face. I went very slow and pulled the tool off about every 1/4 turn (Chris King facer with 5 cutting heads, it works pretty quickly). Once I got through the paint, the actual frame itself was faced about 80% around. There was one low spot about 5mm long on the drive side, and a smaller low spot on the NDS. The cranks spun fine, but I felt much better knowing my bike was 100% when I got done with the facing tool. I also stripped the grease off the bottom bracket cup threads and applied loctite 243. We can go around and around about putting loctite on a bottom bracket (especially aluminum cups in an aluminum frame), but the manufacturer, park tool, and barnett's manual all recommend it. It does a great job of keeping the threads pristine, is easy to remove since it's a blue loctite, and it keeps the creak away forever if you install the bottom bracket correctly. I can't say the same for grease or anti-seize, which both wash out in use.

4) The rack bolts don't have loctite on them, either. In a world where almost every bolt on a bicycle comes with pre-applied loctite, I was really surprised to see none on the rack bolts. It was a simple fix for me, but I know most mechanics won't go to the trouble of applying loctite, especially if they're building the bike as a floor model, and not as a special order for a known customer they like. It sucks, but that's how it goes.

5) My stem top cap had been overtightened before it was boxed. there's stress marks all around the outside edge of the cap, right above where the top of the stem sits. there's even a mark where the slot in the stem is. Trek is going to warranty this for me, but it is still something to note.

That was all of the big items I noticed. Anything beyond this is just me being nitpicky, which is easy for me to do.

6) The housing loop on the rear derailleur was too long. It worked fine, and probably wouldn't have gotten caught on anything, but I cut mine about 2 cm shorter. It follows the chainstay much closer now.

7) The cables and housing for both derailleurs seemed to have a lot of stretch. For most builds, I run the barrel adjuster all the way in, pull the cable tight, and tighten the pinch bolt. Then I run the RD up to the largest cog, find an exposed bit of cable, and give it two good pulls with my thumb against the frame and my fingers around the cable. I run the RD down to the smallest cog, loosen the pinch bolt, pull the cable tight, and retighten. I do this until I stop getting slack when the RD comes down to the smallest cog, then adjust the indexing. It usually takes 1-2 pulls, but I did 4 on the 920 RD and my shifting still came out of whack on my 8 mile ride home. It was just 1/2 - 2/3 of a barrel adjuster turn, but it seems kind of excessive to me. I'm putting Jagwire Road Pro XL cables and housing on it when my Apex shifters and TRP Spyre brakes get in, so I'm not too concerned.
Old 11-16-16, 09:41 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll keep all that in mind when maintenance comes up. I agree that it should come with brake lever shifters. Since I'm not young any more I'm getting shorter and ordered mine a size smaller. I'm comfortable on it, but I also have long arms. So far the wheels are fine.
Thanks!!
Old 11-23-19, 06:50 AM
wongdg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keen in learning more on 920's bottom bracket

Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
I've been a bike shop mechanic for about 10 years now, so I thought I would give you guys some of the mental notes I took while I was building my personal 920. Just kind of a "things to watch out for" kind of write up, not an in depth "this is how you build a bike from a box" thing. I don't go on long trips, but two or three 3-5 day trips per year isn't abnormal for me. This bike will mainly be my commuter and grocery getter.

1) SIZE THE FRAME ON TOP TUBE LENGTH, NOT SEAT TUBE! The stock stem length on all of the 920 sizes is ridiculous. When you look at the geo chart, the 56 (what I normally ride) has a 100mm stem (what I normally ride) but the top tube is 57.8cm long. My 2012 Tricross Sport is 56cm square, and it came stock with a 100mm stem. It's comfortable. The 920 combination of long top tube, long stem, and ridiculously long TRP brake hoods makes this bike feel like a limo. I came into this purchase knowing these things, and also knowing the bars and brake/ shifters were going to be replaced almost immediately. If you're planning on buying a 920 and immediately setting out on a 3,000 mile tour; size the bike on top tube.

2) Your spokes are loose. When the bike comes out of the box, the spokes are loose. The wheels were basically true and round, but tension wasn't as high as I like to see, especially when this bike has been getting lambasted for being an adventure bike with "only" 28 spokes. I think it's a bad idea, and I'm probably going to end up building a 36 hole rear wheel at some point. I also see no evidence of any spoke prep or linseed oil, which is fine by me. I'll do some measuring at work to see if NDS and DS are the same length. I'm hoping they are. Asymmetrical rims are awesome.

3) Your bottom bracket needs faced, and the bottom bracket cups have no loctite on them. I like using the bottom bracket facing tools, so it wasn't a pain for me to remove the BB and face it. It came out of the box decently square, but the paint wasn't uniform thickness around the face. I went very slow and pulled the tool off about every 1/4 turn (Chris King facer with 5 cutting heads, it works pretty quickly). Once I got through the paint, the actual frame itself was faced about 80% around. There was one low spot about 5mm long on the drive side, and a smaller low spot on the NDS. The cranks spun fine, but I felt much better knowing my bike was 100% when I got done with the facing tool. I also stripped the grease off the bottom bracket cup threads and applied loctite 243. We can go around and around about putting loctite on a bottom bracket (especially aluminum cups in an aluminum frame), but the manufacturer, park tool, and barnett's manual all recommend it. It does a great job of keeping the threads pristine, is easy to remove since it's a blue loctite, and it keeps the creak away forever if you install the bottom bracket correctly. I can't say the same for grease or anti-seize, which both wash out in use.

4) The rack bolts don't have loctite on them, either. In a world where almost every bolt on a bicycle comes with pre-applied loctite, I was really surprised to see none on the rack bolts. It was a simple fix for me, but I know most mechanics won't go to the trouble of applying loctite, especially if they're building the bike as a floor model, and not as a special order for a known customer they like. It sucks, but that's how it goes.

5) My stem top cap had been overtightened before it was boxed. there's stress marks all around the outside edge of the cap, right above where the top of the stem sits. there's even a mark where the slot in the stem is. Trek is going to warranty this for me, but it is still something to note.

That was all of the big items I noticed. Anything beyond this is just me being nitpicky, which is easy for me to do.

6) The housing loop on the rear derailleur was too long. It worked fine, and probably wouldn't have gotten caught on anything, but I cut mine about 2 cm shorter. It follows the chainstay much closer now.

7) The cables and housing for both derailleurs seemed to have a lot of stretch. For most builds, I run the barrel adjuster all the way in, pull the cable tight, and tighten the pinch bolt. Then I run the RD up to the largest cog, find an exposed bit of cable, and give it two good pulls with my thumb against the frame and my fingers around the cable. I run the RD down to the smallest cog, loosen the pinch bolt, pull the cable tight, and retighten. I do this until I stop getting slack when the RD comes down to the smallest cog, then adjust the indexing. It usually takes 1-2 pulls, but I did 4 on the 920 RD and my shifting still came out of whack on my 8 mile ride home. It was just 1/2 - 2/3 of a barrel adjuster turn, but it seems kind of excessive to me. I'm putting Jagwire Road Pro XL cables and housing on it when my Apex shifters and TRP Spyre brakes get in, so I'm not too concerned.
I found it hard to find the exact type of BB on a Trek 920 beside "sealed cartridge". On another forum I found photos of the older 920 (strange-looking-bottom-bracket-590056.html on mtbr.com). Is your 920 BB still remained the same type? (pardon me on the above link as this bulletin board would not allow me to post pcitures and urls yet)
Old 11-25-19, 01:24 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I am dreaming of a 920 for myself for a do-it-all bike. I, too, would likely build a 32 or 25 spoke rear wheel for it, but making sure the spokes on the stock wheels are properly tensioned will get you 90% there.

Has anyone heard issues with frame durability? I have had very good luck with aluminum bikes in the past, and would be surprised if there had been a problem.
Old 11-27-19, 04:07 AM
masterchief

Bikes: 2016 All City Macho Man, 2017 Trek 520, 1997 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
An even better thing to do is size according to stack/reach. Say you have a frame with a slack seat tube angle where you will want to use an inline seat post, the top tube is going to be longer than a frame with a similar fit that has a "normal" 73 degree ST angle. Or the other way around, you could end up with a bike that feels like a limo, even though it has the right top tube length, if it has a steeper seat tube angle where you need more set back on your seat post.
Old 12-27-19, 09:43 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wongdg
I found it hard to find the exact type of BB on a Trek 920 beside "sealed cartridge". On another forum I found photos of the older 920 (strange-looking-bottom-bracket-590056.html on mtbr.com). Is your 920 BB still remained the same type? (pardon me on the above link as this bulletin board would not allow me to post pcitures and urls yet)
It's a SRAM GXP english threaded external cup bottom bracket.
Old 12-27-19, 09:45 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I am dreaming of a 920 for myself for a do-it-all bike. I, too, would likely build a 32 or 25 spoke rear wheel for it, but making sure the spokes on the stock wheels are properly tensioned will get you 90% there.

Has anyone heard issues with frame durability? I have had very good luck with aluminum bikes in the past, and would be surprised if there had been a problem.
This bike is a tank. I can't imagine doing anything other than drops or jumps that would mess with the frame. I pulled an 80 pound trailer with mine quite a few times and it didn't get wiggly even with all that weight behind it.