Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disposing of OLD but Decent MTB frames & parts

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-09-20, 08:13 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Hi people. I'm about at my wits end here.

The problem.

I have a number of OLD SCHOOL MTBs that need a bit of work, mostly on a wheel. My back no longer lets me work on bicycles for any length of time beyond a few minutes at a stretch.

I'd donate these frames and parts but the co-op is quite some distance from me and I do not drive. Taking two frames with wheels via bus would be hard and take well over an hour each way.

I'm willing to GIVE these frames and parts away free.

I'm in South-Central, Ontario, Canada

Does anyone have any idea how I could ship a nearly complete rigid frame rigid fork MTB or/plus most parts INEXPENSIVELY? Remember, I'm in Ontario, Canada.

These are all Cro-moly framesets and I hate the idea of chucking them out for garbage pickup.

Thanks for any pertinent advice.

Cheers.

Edited to add a few images of the bikes as they appeared when built up. It's the frames I hope to pass onto someone else. Most do have cantilever brakes that I'd leave on.

Diamond Back Apex

Giant but I forget what model it is.

Rocky Mountain - Unknown to me model

Giant Butte

These FRAMESETS are all in South-Central Ontario, Canada and would be free to a good home. Most have the stems and the seatposts too.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Miele Man; 03-09-20 at 08:24 AM.
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-09-20, 08:36 AM
Jason845

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Every one of those would bring a pretty good amount on craigslist here. Post them, let people come to you and buy them, problem solved!
Likes For Jason845:
Old 03-09-20, 10:07 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Jason845
Every one of those would bring a pretty good amount on craigslist here. Post them, let people come to you and buy them, problem solved!
I don't really want to be bothered trying to sell them as my health isn't all that great for dealing with people who don't show. Besides, it's basically the frameset and whatever parts I still have on them. I used to fix MTBs up and sell them really cheap to people who couldn't afford a new bike but who'd look after a bike. I'm not able to work on bikes much anymore.

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 10:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Maybe there is a local BF member who might want to take the lot from you.

Ontario is a big province but there have to be more than a few BF members within a reasonable driving distance.
Old 03-09-20, 10:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
wrk101 might need to make another roadtrip
Old 03-09-20, 11:00 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Generous of you to offer. I assumed BF would have Regional forums for various areas, as many other forums do, but after looking around I guess it does not. That would have been helpful in reaching your countrypersons. You should edit your title to specify your province for interested parties.
Old 03-09-20, 11:33 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by thumpism
Generous of you to offer. I assumed BF would have Regional forums for various areas, as many other forums do, but after looking around I guess it does not. That would have been helpful in reaching your countrypersons. You should edit your title to specify your province for interested parties.
That's why I included the line, "I'm in South-Central Ontario, Canada" in my post. Even that's a fairly big area. Anyone really interested in these frames and/or parts can contact me and I'll give them directions to where these are.

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 12:09 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Have you contacted the co-op to see if perhaps someone affiliated with them might be willing to pick up the frames and parts?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-09-20, 12:57 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by freeranger
Have you contacted the co-op to see if perhaps someone affiliated with them might be willing to pick up the frames and parts?
Yes I did but they're not interested in driving the 15 miles or so each way.

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 01:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,450 Times in 1,823 Posts
Those are some gorgeous bikes .... but not worth driving multiple thousands of miles top collect and add to my own already too-large collection.

Whoever owns your local co-op ... well, no need to be rude about it, but Come On. Fifteen miles each way for those frames?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-09-20, 02:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'd donate these frames and parts but the co-op is quite some distance from me and I do not drive. Taking two frames with wheels via bus would be hard and take well over an hour each way.
Since you dont want to craigslist/kiidji(or whatever it is up there) the bikes, dont want to toss them, wont drive, and the co-op wont pick them up, it looks like you can do one of two things.
- ask a friend/relative to drive the 20min to a co-op to donate them.
- someone on this forum can pick them up from you.

Looks like you are doing exactly what you should by posting in this thread. Good luck.
Old 03-09-20, 03:38 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
My two cents (2.74 cents CAD)...
Call some local churches and explain your situation.

I don't know how far you are from a Goodwill or similar, but the ones here in my city will pick up.

Nice bikes, If I lived within a 3-hour drive, I would love to help you out, but I'm in Colorado.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-20, 01:59 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I assumed BF would have Regional forums for various areas, as many other forums do, but after looking around I guess it does not.
Actually, it does, but they're up a level from the General Discussions and down a different branch of the tree. Granted splitting Canada in two is rather broad.

https://www.bikeforums.net/eastern-canada/
Old 03-10-20, 04:31 PM
Miele Man

FWIW, I'm not too far from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

Cheers
Old 03-10-20, 05:30 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Is Nextdoor or any equivalent active in Toronto? It's essentially a social network for neighbors, and at least here in the SF Bay Area, it is a good place to give away and obtain free stuff. One has to prove residence at an address within a community (they send a physical post card to you with a code, you enter the code when you sign up), and then it operates like a bulletin board or social media. I've never really had someone flake on me once they confirm that they want something.

Here is an article that says Nextdoor should be available in Canada, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has taken off in/near Toronto. Also, I have no idea if there is an equivalent competitor. Just one idea that's worked for me.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...in-canada.html
Old 03-10-20, 05:50 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Liberate them. Leave them unlocked on a bike rack and I guarantee they will be gone in a day. Or put them in the trash in front of your house or apartment. I got some pretty good, usable, valuable stuff junk picking. We junk pickers know when trash day is and we are out the night before or early in the morning to pick.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 03-10-20, 06:58 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Liberate them. Leave them unlocked on a bike rack and I guarantee they will be gone in a day. Or put them in the trash in front of your house or apartment. I got some pretty good, usable, valuable stuff junk picking. We junk pickers know when trash day is and we are out the night before or early in the morning to pick.
Unfortunately the trash pickup at my building is off-street pick up.If I put the bike stuff there it'd go into the garbage truck not even a metal recycling truck. That'd be a really sad end to such nice frames and parts.

Cheers
Old 03-10-20, 07:20 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Yes I did but they're not interested in driving the 15 miles or so each way.

Cheers
That's a pretty standard trip around here. Hopefully you find a forum member to help work this out. Hate to see those old frames scrapped.

Last edited by curbtender; 03-11-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 07:42 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by curbtender
That's a pretty standard trip around here. Hopefully you find a forum member to help work this out. Hate to see those old frames scraped.
Oh, they won't get scrapped. Worse comes to worse I'll store then until I can arrange new homes for them.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-10-20, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Oh man, if I could get up there I would knocking on your door right now. Nothing super high end but always love some fun projects because the 4 or 5 I have going now aren't enough...LOL!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-12-20, 07:46 AM
JWilde16

Bikes: 198? Specialized Sequoia (recently acquired, 199? Specialized Stumpjumper ex-racing bike, 199? Nishiki NFS Altron (Duathlon rig)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, they won't get scrapped. Worse comes to worse I'll store then until I can arrange new homes for them.

Cheers
Are these still available?