Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 11:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Next time, let me know in advance and smile at the camera. I visit this channel for fun from time to time. lol

first time utilizing that station. usually hit irvine or oceanside station vs sjc. if my memory serves correctly....that camera is facing westwards so you'd just have seen
my frumpy, overstuffed pockets and back. long *ss walk from train disembarking to riding area. d-town sjc is cute and scenic tho and i've hit it before on day trips but never riding
(situationally bad for century rides to san diego).

hoping the aq is better for you and everyone else up in the bay area.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-29-20 at 11:11 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-30-20, 07:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

flattish 37-miler in metro san diego and the silver strand/coronado areas. supposedly was 98 degrees in my neighborhood at the start and 95 degrees at the finish.
possibly. do know that it was 7-8 degrees cooler three miles away and closer to the coast...maybe another degree cooler. took it easy for the most part and just pushed
the low and slow gear vs the spin to win philosophy. not a lot of other idiots out...i did start just before 12:30pm. aq seemed decent enough and grabbed a tri-tip sando
and draft beer at a new fave bbq place enroute.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-03-20, 01:37 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
c-note after taking the train from san diego up to san juan capistrano and riding back. some toodling around san clemente. really coolish/overcast/foggy
most of the day after expecting the worst of the heat monstah. 99 of 105 miles low-key and uneventful. but oh, those last miles...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4130560590
Big day. Nice job.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-04-20, 06:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Over Turnbull Cyn, down SGRT, PCH South to SART north and found my way back through La Habra Heights and home. 85 miles and 3700 ft of climb. This ride lacked scenery and next time I'll make the trip out to Santiago/Silverado et al since the San Gabriels are still smoky.

I cannot wait for first storm to clean the air.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34336782
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-05-20, 01:44 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Over Turnbull Cyn, down SGRT, PCH South to SART north and found my way back through La Habra Heights and home. 85 miles and 3700 ft of climb. This ride lacked scenery and next time I'll make the trip out to Santiago/Silverado et al since the San Gabriels are still smoky.

I cannot wait for first storm to clean the air.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34336782
ditto but thinking it's going to be a lean rain year, we may hafta wait till early february. this year is setting up like a few years ago when it stayed in the low 70's
until the first week of february.
Old 10-05-20, 07:08 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
ditto but thinking it's going to be a lean rain year, we may hafta wait till early february. this year is setting up like a few years ago when it stayed in the low 70's
until the first week of february.
Yeah the forecasts I've seen are calling for "La Nina" conditions meaning little rain.
Old 10-05-20, 11:52 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
w the San Gabriels being smoky and partially closed, I headed out to the Santa Monica mountains
From PCH, climbed Latigo, down Encinal/Decker, up Mulholland, down Kanan
53mi/ 6,400ft climb

Both Latigo and Mulholland from PCH are really nice climbs. Few cars on Latigo, and none on Mulholland since it's closed to cars right now
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 10-05-20, 12:42 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
w the San Gabriels being smoky and partially closed, I headed out to the Santa Monica mountains
From PCH, climbed Latigo, down Encinal/Decker, up Mulholland, down Kanan
53mi/ 6,400ft climb

Both Latigo and Mulholland from PCH are really nice climbs. Few cars on Latigo, and none on Mulholland since it's closed to cars right now
yah...the western end of mully is a real treat without cars. a must-do ascending or descending right now.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-05-20, 05:11 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
yah...the western end of mully is a real treat without cars. a must-do ascending or descending right now.
Wait. I've been wanting to do mullholland from PCH, but it says it's closed. Are bikes allowed on it? If it's closed I'm assuming it's probably a repair issue.
Old 10-05-20, 05:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by burritos
Wait. I've been wanting to do mullholland from PCH, but it says it's closed. Are bikes allowed on it? If it's closed I'm assuming it's probably a repair issue.
last time I did it-on july 26th-there were mobile, trailer style caltrans signs at the bottom by pch and near the top at the mully/little sycamore intersection/stop sign saying “road closed.” there were several spots along the roughly 6 mile stretch on mully with the giant plastic barriers that had been pushed aside and a giant crane parked on a shoulder maybe 1.5 miles north of pch and no work crews on that stretch that day, cars could have gotten through but i didn’t see any. did see two motorcycles and did see approx 50 cyclists climbing as i was descending which was awesome. pavement is great currently but road width got taken out here and there with erosion/mudslides after the nov 2018 woolsey fire. i normally don’t do rides in the sammos on the weekends because of work sched and traffic but doing lower/western mully just might be the ticket on weekends...potentially w/o work crews and total closure.

worst case scenario? road is closed closed and you bounce westward to yerba buena or deer creek or eastward to latigo. boo hoo.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-05-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 05:45 PM
burritos

last time I did it-on july 26th-there were mobile, trailer style caltrans signs at the bottom by pch and near the top at the mully/little sycamore intersection/stop sign saying “road closed.” there were several spots along the roughly 6 mile stretch on mully with the giant plastic barriers that had been pushed aside and a giant crane parked on a shoulder maybe 1.5 miles north of pch and no work crews on that stretch that day, cars could have gotten through but i didn’t see any. did see two motorcycles and did see approx 50 cyclists climbing as i was descending which was awesome. pavement is great currently but road width got taken out here and there with erosion/mudslides after the nov 2018 woolsey fire. i normally don’t do rides in the sammos on the weekends because of work sched and traffic but doing lower/western mully just might be the ticket on weekends...potentially w/o work crews and total closure.

worst case scenario? road is closed closed and you bounce westward to yerba buena or deer creek or eastward to latigo. boo hoo.
I don't want to get ticketed. But sounds like that's a non issue. Been doing sammos climbs for the first time in my life since covid. I see that there are super humans that do multiple climbs in one ride. I feel like I can work one climb per ride. Started with Decker, then Deer Creek, then YB, then Encinal(my favorite cause it's the easiest), then Latigo(that was the hardest for me). Been eyeing Mully but sounds like we can just jump the gate without consequence.
Old 10-05-20, 07:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

I don't want to get ticketed. But sounds like that's a non issue. Been doing sammos climbs for the first time in my life since covid. I see that there are super humans that do multiple climbs in one ride. I feel like I can work one climb per ride. Started with Decker, then Deer Creek, then YB, then Encinal(my favorite cause it's the easiest), then Latigo(that was the hardest for me). Been eyeing Mully but sounds like we can just jump the gate without consequence.
there wasn't a "gate" or fencing per se. things could have changed. hope to groundtruth it in the next few days and will report back. ime...the road crews will let a cyclist through if it is at all
possible vs a standard, just because "no,"

if you can do deer creek and decker, then you should be able to handle anything in the sammos. the two hardest, imho, are las flores and corral canyon. deer creek, decker, north side of the 23,
fernwood, portola, cotharin all qualify as "why am i doing this?" climbs.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-06-20, 12:20 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Yeah, there's no gate, but rather a movable sign/barrier blocking the eastbound lane that you can just simply ride around

The road itself is in great condition and no obstructions exist. There are a few sections that narrow to a single lane, but w no cars, that's a non-issue

As far as ticketing: technically the road is closed to cars and bikes, except for residents. I won't go into too much detail, but have it on pretty good authority that it's highly unlikely a cyclist would be ticketed and that it's probably preferable (from a safety standpoint) that you ride on Mulholland w no cars than on PCH.

Of course, I can't guarantee anything
Old 10-06-20, 02:16 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
Yeah, there's no gate, but rather a movable sign/barrier blocking the eastbound lane that you can just simply ride around

The road itself is in great condition and no obstructions exist. There are a few sections that narrow to a single lane, but w no cars, that's a non-issue

As far as ticketing: technically the road is closed to cars and bikes, except for residents. I won't go into too much detail, but have it on pretty good authority that it's highly unlikely a cyclist would be ticketed and that it's probably preferable (from a safety standpoint) that you ride on Mulholland w no cars than on PCH.

Of course, I can't guarantee anything
That sounds reassuring. Based on the last 2 posts, I'm going to do the pch-mully-decker loop(with the full understanding that it is my decision). I would love details. I doubt that voicing them on an anonymous biking board would result in any consequence. Please divulge.
Old 10-06-20, 03:40 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Swami's.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-06-20, 04:09 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

That sounds reassuring. Based on the last 2 posts, I'm going to do the pch-mully-decker loop(with the full understanding that it is my decision). I would love details. I doubt that voicing them on an anonymous biking board would result in any consequence. Please divulge.
don't forget the dedicated water fountain outside of the fire station near the top of decker (just down the hill from that short, little connector road-lechusa rd-between decker and encinal cyn) if you need to
refill bottle(s) and/or soak cap/bandanna/jersey/underliner. gets pretty toasty up there.
Old 10-06-20, 05:13 PM
burritos

don't forget the dedicated water fountain outside of the fire station near the top of decker (just down the hill from that short, little connector road-lechusa rd-between decker and encinal cyn) if you need to
refill bottle(s) and/or soak cap/bandanna/jersey/underliner. gets pretty toasty up there.
Thanks for the info. Doesn't it also have bike repair station, or am I thinking of another fire station? I usually bring an 8 oz can of water, but I generally try to complete my rides without drinking or eating anything. So long as the rides don't go beyond 4 1/2-5 hours, it's not a problem.
Old 10-06-20, 07:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Thanks for the info. Doesn't it also have bike repair station, or am I thinking of another fire station? I usually bring an 8 oz can of water, but I generally try to complete my rides without drinking or eating anything. So long as the rides don't go beyond 4 1/2-5 hours, it's not a problem.
unaware of a bike repair station anywhere up in the sammos but if there is one, that's awesome.
Old 10-06-20, 07:54 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

a quickie, 23-spot in the local mountains along with a 30-spot in the metro san diego area. a little cooler today with some thin clouds but humidity was up.
Old 10-07-20, 09:35 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

another ride in the local mountains. 32-miler on mostly quiet back roads around julian, ca. san diego backcountry along the ca hwy 76/78/79 corridor
my second fave area in socal to ride...just behind the sammos. really nice day up there. sampled engineers rd, boulder creek rd, eagle peak rd, pine hills rd, wynola rd
along with a bit of ca hwys 78 and 79. road quality either top-notch or stay vigilant. wynola rd really nice but pavement not the best. that's countered by the ascent being
mostly in the shade. can only think of two other ascents mostly in the shade in all of socal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4165556914

Last edited by diphthong; 10-07-20 at 10:03 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-10-20, 12:20 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Cycling options from the Temecula area ?
Wondering about riding options since considering relocating from East OC to Temecula.
Like having SART and all the local hills in East OC.
Looks like there maybe challenging routes to Palomar Mt and maybe Mt San Jacinto as well ?

Probably should have been a new thread but I know many of the higher level cyclist post in the thread. Did add as another new thread.

TIA for any advice

Last edited by joesch; 10-10-20 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-10-20, 03:18 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by joesch
Cycling options from the Temecula area ?
Wondering about riding options since considering relocating from East OC to Temecula.
Like having SART and all the local hills in East OC.
Looks like there maybe challenging routes to Palomar Mt and maybe Mt San Jacinto as well ?

Probably should have been a new thread but I know many of the higher level cyclist post in the thread. Did add as another new thread.

TIA for any advice
hit you up in your new thread.
Old 10-10-20, 05:33 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
38 miles today, mostly a ramble through Thousand Oaks, eventually climbing and descending into Hidden Valley from the Newbury Park side and exiting in Westlake.
Saw my usual Saturday shop ride friends riding together but I'm avoiding these groups and staying solo until virus infections hit a much lower level. What is it with all of these groups??

Then, ran out of battery for the Di2 seven miles from home. Should have checked before I left...it's been three months since the last charge.
Old 10-11-20, 04:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Just trying to get a little stronger in the Whittier-Puente Hills, 50 miles and 6400 feet of climb according to ridewithgps. Garmin likes to give me more but I think 8.8K+ is inflated. Typical Sunday with dozens of riders out and the first time my chest did not ache from smoke in a couple of months.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34396165
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-16-20, 11:06 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
From Carlsbad to Torrey Pines and back. 35 miles, which is the longest ride I've managed since June.
Either I had undiagnosed Covid back in Late Feb, or I'm just too goddam fat to take a full breath anymore. Just have to back off until my HR gets below 164, though it feels like I'm breathing through a straw. Or maybe my FUBARed heart valve is about to give up the ghost.
Still a lovely day and a lovely place to ride. Got up to 95 degrees at one point and had a water emergency, but hopefully the "heat stress" will help melt a little butter off this slug.
Will rest tomorrow and get up early Sunday for another go at er.

Spent the rest of the day tearing down this dogbike frame to have it powder coated seafoam, (which I hope won't be confused with Bianchi Celeste.)

My little Biscuitbutt was too tired to join me on this ride, so I had no excuse for averaging only 17mph.
Likes For calamarichris:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.