Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Passing Cars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Passing Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 07:57 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I'm also speaking from a utility driver's perspective.

If the vehicle is only slightly slower than you, you make a pass and when the gradient gets a bit more level or positive, you slow down, now that driver has to pass you. Annoying in narrow mountain roads with plenty of no-passing segments and with traffic present.

What could make that more annoying? You pass that driver more than once. I personally found it annoying as a driver having to pass the same cyclist multiple times. Not the most relaxing move in narrow mountain roads.

So as a cyclist, that's another reason why I don't pass a vehicle if it's only slightly slower than me, except in a wider 3 lane road or more.

I know you'll have to scrub your brakes more - in relation to your post but that's a small price to pay for improving safety on the road. Avoid making drivers angry. An angry driver is more likely to make mistakes which is not good.
This happens a fair amount in Seattle, except with buses. They pass, you pass, they pass. On one popular cycling route that has a hill, the city put the bike lane on the inside and the bus stops to the left of that.
Old 11-06-20, 05:32 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I guess if most cyclists never deal with situations like these, I must be very misfortunate with my cycling conditions (even outside the city).
Yes, perhaps you are. Guess it's fortunate you can make up for it by weighing 125 lbs and by training 20 hours a week at 90% intensity.
Old 11-06-20, 05:45 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yes, perhaps you are. Guess it's fortunate you can make up for it by weighing 125 lbs and by training 20 hours a week at 90% intensity.
Have you seen onyerleft's posts in the sales forums? Put the guy on ignore if you don't like the posts, rather than polluting the thread with the petty bickering?
Old 11-06-20, 06:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Oh heck, I wasn't going to post but now I've been tempted. I love to descend mountain roads on my bike, I don't ride a motorcycle anymore, so this is the only time I get to play like that, It's like skiing GS. I just love it. Sometimes I come upon a sightseer or just a cautious driver and I pass them, just so I can keep having fun and don't have to ride my rim brakes. I mostly aero brake. The vehicles I pass I usually don't see again or at least don't see until I'm down in the flat where passing a bike is easy and normal. So yeah, I pass cars and never had an issue with it one way or the other. It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I do go over the speed limit, but never had a problem with that either. A lot of cars go over, too.

I never passed a car which would be inclined to challenge me. I don't know if those were simply good choices of mine or whether I'm just fortunate enough not to have encountered such a driver. I have caught up to cars which picked up the pace when I caught them, both on my bike and in my car. No problem, fine.

I don't pass cars in the city. I stay in the right lane and give everyone room, though rather than riding in the left wheel track like I would on my motorcycle, I ride in the right track on my bicycle.
Old 11-06-20, 07:38 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Oh heck, I wasn't going to post but now I've been tempted. I love to descend mountain roads on my bike, I don't ride a motorcycle anymore, so this is the only time I get to play like that, It's like skiing GS. I just love it. Sometimes I come upon a sightseer or just a cautious driver and I pass them, just so I can keep having fun and don't have to ride my rim brakes. I mostly aero brake. The vehicles I pass I usually don't see again or at least don't see until I'm down in the flat where passing a bike is easy and normal. So yeah, I pass cars and never had an issue with it one way or the other. It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. And yes, I do go over the speed limit, but never had a problem with that either. A lot of cars go over, too.

I never passed a car which would be inclined to challenge me. I don't know if those were simply good choices of mine or whether I'm just fortunate enough not to have encountered such a driver. I have caught up to cars which picked up the pace when I caught them, both on my bike and in my car. No problem, fine.

I don't pass cars in the city. I stay in the right lane and give everyone room, though rather than riding in the left wheel track like I would on my motorcycle, I ride in the right track on my bicycle.
+1 Don't go looking for these opportunities, but take them when they appear. I won't post here what I once passed descending W side of Loveland Pass. Numerous opportunities have arisen on descent of Flagstaff or Lookout Mtn, to the point where I make sure not to start from the top too near a car that has just preceded me, but leave a gap (wait to jump until a car is approaching a quarter mile off).
Old 11-06-20, 08:01 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I do it. But I'm no role model.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-06-20, 10:26 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
One time on a long descent a small car merges in front of me and I instantly see and smell he's burning a criminal amount of oil.
P'd off having to breathe in burnt fumes, I decide to close in and pass the guy after noticing he brakes hard and slow through the corners.
After two attempts I start losing it, I can't make the pass, he simply accelerates too hard exiting the turns....and he knows it.
Frustrated, I then think to myself...wtf am I doing trailing and trying to pass this oil burning pos, and so I pull off onto the shoulder and park the bike.
Standing at the side of the road still angry I eventually realized backing off was the smart thing to do.
No matter how determined or skilled, know your limitations.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-07-20, 12:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Great thread. Really enjoying it (and by the powers vested in me by the State of California and the Universal Life Church, hereby pronounce Cubewheels the winner).

And yes, I overtook the same garbage truck 8 times on a rural road. I’m not proud.

Old 11-07-20, 03:30 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Once in a great while on a country road I have been know to pass a slow tractor between fields. They pull over so I can pass knowing they are going 10mph. Cars though are another issue they have 150 HP and the driver can dust you anytime in in seconds. I don't think I would pass them at least in any ordinary situation like a long fast downhill.