Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for feedback on Origami Lotus

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking for feedback on Origami Lotus

Old 11-21-20, 07:07 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Steel is real....good call IMO. A different animal than aluminum and I personally prefer the ride over aluminum.
I like the matte finish as pictured, although thats not really a design element...

FWIW I'd be more than happy without disc brakes....take that cost and extra weight and use/lose it elsewhere (I have 4 bicycles and the one with discs (mechanical) is the most finicky in terms of brakes...squealing, rubbing, etc. and I wrench on all my bikes, motorcycles for many years, etc. and for most bicycles I think they're overkill. Just saying.... )

Not to mention discs tend to be more vulnerable especially when folded and transported.

Looks like could be a contender for belt/igh config. per the frame style?

Looks like a promising product....is there a price-point you're targeting or is that still proprietary info?
I will consider the IGH and belt drive option. The only drawbacks are cost and weight.

We will be offering it at $499 as shown, but the IGH and belt drive would probably add $200
Old 11-21-20, 07:22 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
I will consider the IGH and belt drive option. The only drawbacks are cost and weight.

We will be offering it at $499 as shown, but the IGH and belt drive would probably add $200
An IGH with a standard chain drive would be more than acceptable,...
Old 11-21-20, 01:06 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Personal opinion only: A folding bike with a greasy chain and derailleur, that will get that grease on anyting it touches, is a fail IMO. Belt drive and internal gear hub on something intended to be compact, light, and clean.
Likes For Snowflake6:
Old 11-21-20, 10:17 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Snowflake6
Personal opinion only: A folding bike with a greasy chain and derailleur, that will get that grease on anyting it touches, is a fail IMO. Belt drive and internal gear hub on something intended to be compact, light, and clean.
an IGH is not light.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-22-20, 11:59 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
an IGH is not light.
Fair point, but you're talking a half-kilo or one pound penalty in exchange for a *clean*, compact system. Not a trade-off i'd make for my road bike, but absolutely a trade-off i'd make for a folding bike to take places.
Likes For Snowflake6:
Old 11-22-20, 01:42 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Snowflake6
Fair point, but you're talking a half-kilo or one pound penalty in exchange for a *clean*, compact system. Not a trade-off i'd make for my road bike, but absolutely a trade-off i'd make for a folding bike to take places.
Good point. We will have to either change the dropouts or add a tensioner.
Old 11-23-20, 04:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Good point. We will have to either change the dropouts or add a tensioner.
Change the dropouts,... The bike will look so clean.
Old 11-25-20, 09:47 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It certainly looks interesting. Could you share a few more details about the frame design?

Max pedal to top of seat distance? (max est. rider height). Wheelbase? Effective top tube length? Chainstay length? Bottom bracket height? Folded size?

Could be a replacement or companion for my 15-year old Downtube Mini.
Old 11-26-20, 08:00 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Max height handlebar from floor.
Old 11-26-20, 08:51 AM
LePatron

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Presta valves please!
Old 11-26-20, 09:51 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
It certainly looks interesting. Could you share a few more details about the frame design?

Max pedal to top of seat distance? (max est. rider height). Wheelbase? Effective top tube length? Chainstay length? Bottom bracket height? Folded size?

Could be a replacement or companion for my 15-year old Downtube Mini.
Yes, we should have all of that finalized next week
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-26-20, 12:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by LePatron
Presta valves please!
Oh HECK NO!!! Those are a pain. Schrader valves are easier to use. All you need to do to use a presta valve is put an adapter into the rim. Presta are a no-go,...
Old 11-26-20, 01:25 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by LePatron
Presta valves please!
What is it that you like about presta valves?
Old 11-26-20, 08:21 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
This bicycle looks beautiful. Two thumbs up for the 4130 (my preferred frame/fork metal over aluminum, always). Two more thumbs up for rolling-while-folded!

• Since it comes with disc brakes, please give it thru-axles. Lack of options for thru-axle is what's keeping me from upgrading my current bicycle to disc fork (there's another product idea for your company: Thru-axle, chromoly, disc forks for 20" horizontal-fold bicycles - Please contact me if you already offer this).
• I'd like to see an option for a lower, adjustable handlepost, that folds to the outside. Drop-bar fans like me prefer the bars level-to or lower-than the saddle, and I'm not real tall (5'7"ish). I'm still sorting this out on my Dahon Speed but, I think the handlepost that I need for it is 10" tall. Fnhon offers handleposts in several lengths.
• I prefer mechanical disc brakes over hydraulics. TRP Spyre/Spyke. I love the Spyres on my Konacado.
• Not sure if possible on this frame but, would be nice to have a bracket for a front derailleur.
• The IGHs that I prefer accept cassettes. Especially important if there's no room for a front derailleur.
• Don't forget anchor holes for rack and fenders.
Old 11-27-20, 10:12 AM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Even if you spec this model with disc brakes, would it be possible to add v-brake bosses to the frame since some customers would prefer rim brakes? I've never had disc brakes, and would be willing to try them, but would like the option of returning to rim brakes if the disc brakes don't work out. Btw - I love that its chromoly!
Old 11-28-20, 09:45 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
Even if you spec this model with disc brakes, would it be possible to add v-brake bosses to the frame since some customers would prefer rim brakes? I've never had disc brakes, and would be willing to try them, but would like the option of returning to rim brakes if the disc brakes don't work out. Btw - I love that its chromoly!
we have been moving all of our models to disc brakes for the improved stopping ability, easy modulation, and minimal maintenance. We did add Vee-brake bosses on our Falcon model, but I don’t like the aesthetic of an unused element just sitting there.

The disc brakes that we are using on the Lotus use mineral oil, so they are safer if there is spill. Additionally, they are very compact and lighter that cable-actuated calipers.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-29-20, 09:13 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Regarding brakes: While I'd be happy with v-brakes, I can easily understand the desire for disc brakes and the reasons for them (stopping ability wet weather performance, etc.). What I don't understand is the need for hydraulic disc brakes. These are bicycles, fer chrissakes, not motorcycles and I regard hydraulic systems as overkill. Plus, they're a major step away from the inherent simplicity that is a bicycle (don't get me started on electronic shifting). Is the price difference that small between a cable actuated and a hydraulic actuated system anymore?

Weight is not a huge thing to me, then again you've got a guy who's still happily riding a 1972 Raleigh Twenty and finding it suitable for a lot of his uses. Yes, I've got newer stuff, but still enjoying the vintage. I'm another guy who wouldn't mind the cost and weight penalty for an IGH drivetrain, whether belt or chain is indifferent to me. Virtually everything I own as a commuter bike (mostly full size, with some folders) are IGH because I prefer them in stop and go traffic.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-29-20, 12:42 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

I would appreciate some feedback on the style and features.
This is going to be a 9-speed model with a Cro-Moly frame, hydraulic disc brakes (mineral oil, two piston), adjustable handlebar height, 349 16" wheels, 58t chain ring (53t shown in the photo, but 58t for production), etc. We are at about 21 pounds now, but could cut weight with a few tradeoffs or costlier parts.
Origami Lotus
I agree with all your choices including hydraulic brakes and derailleur. The only thing I would prefer is are 406 tires.
Old 11-29-20, 09:37 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by sykerocker
Regarding brakes: While I'd be happy with v-brakes, I can easily understand the desire for disc brakes and the reasons for them (stopping ability wet weather performance, etc.). What I don't understand is the need for hydraulic disc brakes. These are bicycles, fer chrissakes, not motorcycles and I regard hydraulic systems as overkill. Plus, they're a major step away from the inherent simplicity that is a bicycle (don't get me started on electronic shifting). Is the price difference that small between a cable actuated and a hydraulic actuated system anymore?

Weight is not a huge thing to me, then again you've got a guy who's still happily riding a 1972 Raleigh Twenty and finding it suitable for a lot of his uses. Yes, I've got newer stuff, but still enjoying the vintage. I'm another guy who wouldn't mind the cost and weight penalty for an IGH drivetrain, whether belt or chain is indifferent to me. Virtually everything I own as a commuter bike (mostly full size, with some folders) are IGH because I prefer them in stop and go traffic.
The advantage of hydrailic disc brakes is lighter weight, better feedback and modulation, and (beleive it or nor) simplicity. There is no cable to stretch or break, just a thin tube of oil and three pistons. We have used hydraulic discs on a couple of bikes now, and I really appreciate the feel of them. They aren't that much more expensive (in direct dollars, not percentage difference) than cable-actuated brakes, so you might want to give them a try.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we need to really work on the IGH option.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-29-20, 09:40 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I agree with all your choices including hydraulic brakes and derailleur. The only thing I would prefer is are 406 tires.
We went with the 349 tire to keep the bike compact. But, it wouldn't take much redesign to offer a 406 option. I want to have the current design out by February, but will seriously consider a 406 version as well. I hadn't really given it any thought before you brought it up, but I do like the idea.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-29-20, 09:52 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Nyah
This bicycle looks beautiful. Two thumbs up for the 4130 (my preferred frame/fork metal over aluminum, always). Two more thumbs up for rolling-while-folded!

• Since it comes with disc brakes, please give it thru-axles. Lack of options for thru-axle is what's keeping me from upgrading my current bicycle to disc fork (there's another product idea for your company: Thru-axle, chromoly, disc forks for 20" horizontal-fold bicycles - Please contact me if you already offer this).
• I'd like to see an option for a lower, adjustable handlepost, that folds to the outside. Drop-bar fans like me prefer the bars level-to or lower-than the saddle, and I'm not real tall (5'7"ish). I'm still sorting this out on my Dahon Speed but, I think the handlepost that I need for it is 10" tall. Fnhon offers handleposts in several lengths.
• I prefer mechanical disc brakes over hydraulics. TRP Spyre/Spyke. I love the Spyres on my Konacado.
• Not sure if possible on this frame but, would be nice to have a bracket for a front derailleur.
• The IGHs that I prefer accept cassettes. Especially important if there's no room for a front derailleur.
• Don't forget anchor holes for rack and fenders.
We are all set for quick releases, so thru axles are a no-go for now. Maybe down the road.
We can easily offer different handleposts, no problem.
I really like the feedback and moduation of hydraulic disc brakes, I just can't see an advantage for cable-actuated (besides cost).
No room for a front derailleur. Just not enough seat post tube for this.
Yes, we are still working on fenders and a rack option. I am leaning toward bamboo fenders (natural or stained).
Old 11-30-20, 01:55 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

We went with the 349 tire to keep the bike compact. But, it wouldn't take much redesign to offer a 406 option. I want to have the current design out by February, but will seriously consider a 406 version as well. I hadn't really given it any thought before you brought it up, but I do like the idea.
Please consider that the bike be capable of mounting 2 inch wide tires with fenders. That would be most excellent..
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 11-30-20, 02:17 PM
Pinigis 

Please consider that the bike be capable of mounting 2 inch wide tires with fenders. That would be most excellent..
Since thease are 16" (349) rims, the widest that are available (as far as I know) are 1 3/8"
Old 11-30-20, 05:20 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

I was referring to if you should make one for 406. It is a limitation for 349.
Old 11-30-20, 08:30 PM
Pinigis 

I was referring to if you should make one for 406. It is a limitation for 349.
Ohhhhhh! Since we used disc brakes, we can install either 305 or 349 wheels. I will have to play around and see what the widest tire option will be.
Likes For Pinigis:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.