Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-20, 11:23 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride? (Zen)

Just curious, what do you think about during that hour or hours on your bike ride?

Something really strange happened today.
By 11:00 am everyday before my daily ride, those five or six cups of strong breakfast coffee ( which I love) have got me pretty agitated and antsy and primed and obsessed to go.
During the first fifteen minutes after I bolt out of my garage and am racing along herky jerky, my thoughts are racing and full of stress and I'm a true Mad Dog...
My thoughts go like this ..did I put all the lug nuts back on my daughter's tire..did I say the wrong thing to a coworker..is my bike tire tracking straight...can I do the roof myself next year and save $ 15K ..what if I fall off the roof and if I do , should I redo my Will..why do I distrust a certain Lawyer... . I really don't like my neighbor parking his huge Ford truck smack dead front of my house every day.. how much longer before I storm over and pound on his front door.. what if he calls the Police.. my mind is a pretty nasty hectic place...
The next twenty minutes.. things start to smooth out. I start to cool down, focus on breathing and leg motion and start to connect my brain to my body. Peace starts to outweigh chaos..

Then I reminisce about last night when I was a watching a Japanese anime' movie with my 12 year old daughter. And a wise old charismatic teacher tells a shamed student about to face a bully "Even if you have average strength, it can do great things only if you if you use every ounce of it for yourself and not one bit against yourself; your foe is much stronger but wastes much of it in anger and hatred and a bad temper"
I have ridden about 18 miles now. more than an hour.. I ride a Single Speed Bianchi Pista ..
OMG "The Wall" lies ahead...I can smell it....I am in Trouble !
I have wandered on the trail to the dreaded 40 degree 60 yard gravel Hill the locals called "The Wall" because even the strongest riders on geared bikes have embarrassingly run out of steam and dismounted to get off and walk..
Not surprisingly I have tried it many times with an explosion of adrenaline, brute strength, frenzy and anger and have failed.
Because of those strapped pedals you need for a Fixie, I can't get my feet free when my legs finally freeze. When that happens I topple over like a turtle and take a humiliating clumsy painful Fall.

Today something is different. Suddenly the Teachers words are on my mind.
"Even if you have average strength, it can do great things only if you if you use every ounce of it for yourself and not one bit against yourself....."

And for a strange reason calm, no tension or fear. fills me.
My mind and soul my body and my bike are one. I look down and see one organism.....tire spinning , green metal tubes flexing , muddy legs attached to pedals churning , rolling chain , big gear turning.. chest inhaling, exhaling , breath steaming, arms flexing// everything fused as one big Cell.
Just that one thought and no others. No anger. No fear. No tension. Arms, Legs, Tires, Gravel, Trees, Sky, Chain, Sweat, Lawyer, Frame, Pedals, Hill, Helmet, Neighbor, Roof, I love you World..

In that instant I know I will make The Wall.
And I do. I really do!

. I sweep up past the first thirty yards where I usually fall painfully. It's like I am watching myself in a movie, I climb and pass the forty yard mark and fifty yard mark swiftly. No feeling of exertion or apprehension. Just the feeling of being one with my bike ..and I am at the sixty yard mark and then I have done it.
A strange peace fills my head. My life is going to change.

There will be no argument with my neighbor about his huge Truck perpetually parked in front of our house... the truck.. my neighbor...me. the neighborhood It. will all pass into the Dust of Time I know it.

Last edited by 5 mph; 12-21-20 at 05:30 PM.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 12-21-20, 12:39 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Just curious, what do you think about during that hour or hours on your bike ride? I'll

Something really strange happened today.
By 11:00 am everyday before my daily ride, those five or six cups of strong breakfast coffee ( which I love) have got me pretty agitated and antsy and primed and obsessed to go.
During the first fifteen minutes after I bolt out of my garage and am racing along herky jerky, my thoughts are racing and full of stress and I'm a true Mad Dog...
My thoughts go like this ..did I put all the lug nuts back on my daughter's tire..did I say the wrong thing to a coworker..is my bike tire tracking straight...can I do the roof myself next year and save $ 15K ..what if I fall off the roof and if I do , should I redo my Will..why do I distrust a certain Lawyer... . I really don't like my neighbor parking his huge Ford truck smack dead front of my house every day.. how much longer before I storm over and pound on his front door.. what if he calls the Police.. my mind is a pretty nasty hectic place...
The next twenty minutes.. things start to smooth out. I start to cool down, focus on breathing and leg motion and start to connect my brain to my body. Peace starts to outweigh chaos..
I reminisce about last night when I was a watching a Japanese anime' movie with my 12 year old daughter. And a wise old charismatic teacher tells a shamed and disturbed student about to face a bully "Even if you have average strength, it can do great things only if you if you use every ounce of it for yourself and not one bit against yourself..your foe is much stronger but wastes much of it in anger and hatred and a bad temper"
I have ridden about 18 miles now. more than an hour.I ride a Single Speed Bianch Pista ..
I am in Trouble. I have wandered on the trail and I can smell that "The Wall" lies ahead...a dreaded 40 degree 60 yard gravel Hill the locals called "The Wall" because even the strongest riders on geared bikes have embarrasingly run out of steam and dismounted to get off and walk..
Not surprisingly I have tried it many times with an explosion of adrenaline, brute strength, frenzy and anger and have failed.
Because of those strapped pedals you need for a Fixie, I can't get my feet free when my legs finally freeze. When that happens I topple over like a turtle and take a humiliating clumsy painful Fall.

Today something is different. Suddenly the Teachers words are on my mind. And for a strange reason calm, no tension or fear. fills me.
My mind and soul my body and my bike are one. I look down and see one organism..tire spinning , green metal tubes flexing , muddy legs attached to pedals churning , rolling chain , big gear turning.. chest inhaling, exhaling , arms flexing// everything fused as one big Cell.
Just that one thought and no others. No anger. No fear. No worry . Arms, Legs, Tires, Gravel, Trees, Chain, Sweat, Frame, Hill, Neighbor, Roof, I love you world..
In that instant I know I will make The Wall.
And I do. I really do . I sweep past the first thirty yards where I usually fall painfully. It's like I am watching myself in a movie, I pass the forty yard mark and fifty yard mark swiftly. No feeling of exertion or apprehension. Just the feeling of being one with my bike ..and I am at the sixty yard mark and then I have done it.
A strange peace fills my head. My life is going to change.
There will be no argument with my neighbor. I know it.
Quiet the mind, turn the pedals, notice the world. Repeat, until the mind is quiet on its own. That's the goal; sometimes i get there, sometimes not
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-21-20, 02:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I think about the last thing to go through a mayfly's mind: a car windshield.

And I remind myself to not be a mayfly.

Seriously, though, mostly music. I don't listen to music during rides, it just plays in my head.

Sometimes I compose stories or anecdotes to write down later. Years ago I was a newspaper reporter and had to work fast for the police, fire and emergency beat, so I usually composed the entire story in my head on the way back to the newsroom. I got so accustomed to that practice that I still do it whenever I meet an interesting person or encounter an interesting situation.

I often stop to check on folks who appear to be homeless, just to see if they want or need medical or psychological assistance, or just something to eat. I often write about them later, with reasonable respect for their privacy and dignity. I usually compose those stories in my head riding back home. Then it's mostly transcribing and editing.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-21-20, 05:27 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I used to focus too much on the bike computer, so most of my thinking was about what % of the ride was over, how this hill feels steeper than that and at this rate when I'll be finished.

So, years ago I switched to showing the map view instead of the data view (now with a Wahoo Roam) and quieted that noise down. Which, of course, enabled other noise to take its place - what I had to do when I got back, or what was waiting the next day at work, etc.

By accident, I found a way to switch that off: one day I noticed I had just swerved to avoid the second iPhone charging cable I'd seen in the road that ride. That led me on a random association to back when the most common discard was unspooled cassette tape and tracking if USB charger cables or bungee cords were really the most popular roadside discards and when I first used a bungee cord and ... Before I knew it, 20 miles had gone by.

I expanded that from looking downwards to more looking side to side at odd names on mailboxes, election signs, style of fence, tackiest yard art, etc. On the boring sections, my mind drifts back to the problems waiting in the real world after the ride is over, but usually something like a Bart Simpson doll sitting up on top of a mailbox will come along and I'll think about when the Simpsons first appeared on the Tracey Ullman show and how often a character pops up in movies today and I tell my wife "I think that's Tracey Ullman" and sure enough it is.

On long rides in my 30s, I'm pretty convinced my real-world problem daydreaming during long rides actually helped me solve many of those problems, but 30 years later I much more enjoy the "staying in the moment" style of day dreaming during long rides.
Old 12-21-20, 07:36 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
AC/DC to ZZ Top
Old 12-21-20, 08:29 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
On short rides (20-30mi) I’m dialed in, watching the road, watching ride computer, buzzed with the thought of moving up the Strava leader list. Pacing, cadence, gearing, pedal pressure. The thrill of flying under my own power...all the while jamming to music appropriate to the ride.

On the longer rides, I’m playing worship music and talking to the Lord. Keeps me relaxed on the slower pace riding solo out on the open road.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-21-20, 09:08 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Did I leave the iron on?
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-21-20, 09:35 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I listen to the music. How I'm going to get through the snow/ice. How beautiful nature is. Lots of beautiful scenery on the bike trail. Whatever is affecting my life? Can I beat the car across the intersection...etc
Likes For alloo:
Old 12-21-20, 10:41 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I am focused on the ride. Proper warm up, anticipating the terrain, focusing on my spin and shifting technique. And, of course, watching my Garmin to see where I'm at.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-21-20, 07:27 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
One of the greatest things about cycling is the fact you are alone with your thoughts. You can ponder all of the days news.

Once under way, I seldom think about bike things such as speed and cadence. I just automatically shift etc, what feels right to me at the time.

Then mainly I just enjoy seeing the surroundings, and anything that has changed. Love riding thru the older parts of town and looking at the great architecture of large homes. No cookie cutter houses there.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-30-20 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-21-20, 09:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
Did I leave the iron on?
Likes For big john:
Old 12-21-20, 10:50 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Love the writing in OP and the brilliant and funny responses.

Before Strava, before the internet and it's forums, and before I had anyone to ride with or against, I was a different person altogether.

My thoughts were mine. Though I didn't know it at the time, but now reminiscing, they were pretty intense.

For example, one ride up the local mountain out and back on my Orange Univega with Suntour Cyclone I didn't have any idea I would puncture at the summit, have difficulty fixing it because it was so cold I couldn't move my fingers well enough, and while I eventually executed the repair it got dark, and I didn't have enough stuff on, let alone a light, but would make it home in time to still have mom's dinner to eat it alone late but still warm.

I'd like to know what I was thinking on that ride. But I bet it was man this is hard, these toe clips and straps hurt, and it looks like cars crashed here, there and there all the time, those wrecks look really old, oh but here's a new one.

After that ride I would always think over what I took with me and how I would use it if it came to that. After some of that, like drifting off into sleep, I'd switch tracks, like a train or an 8+track player, and jump right into the middle of what seems a gray fog.

Ironically I​​​​​​I kind of think I rode a bike just to get away from thinking. Made the rides up from looking at AAA maps, and made a list of roads like a shopping list on a 3x5 piece of paper in my pocket.

Not having much to think about I pretty much memorized those lists and didn't look at the paper maps much. Couldn't do that now.

Back to the future. I still ride. I know a lot of riders and a whole lot more of them who I'll probably never ride with on Strava. I give them Kudos. It's what goes on right now.

Sometimes I make up routes on a PC and find unusual roads and trails.

When I was a kid, I'd just get lost.

​​​​​​My tires were skinny and hard as hell.

Last Sunday December 20th I did a great ride. It was great because I was back at it. I had ankle surgery on Friday November the 13th.

​​​​​Nothing extraordinary but to ride with my wife and a buddy up in the hills and down the trails, starting on hard frost and bursting up into the sunshine.

Forgot all about Covid-19 for a while there.

It became difficult and my mind switched tracks. There was nothing but the hiss of blank tape. I forgot for a few precious moments to think.

Then the kid in me tried to remember if I had a spare inner tube just in case. Back to the future.
Old 12-22-20, 11:00 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I relate to those who have music in their heads - whatever I’ve been trying to learn on guitar often plays in a loop. Otherwise, thoughts about how lucky I am to be living in a beautiful place and riding as much as I like at my age. I don’t really dwell on the performance aspect of riding, but I can appreciate those who do.
Old 12-22-20, 01:49 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Well I do watch the garmin and depending on the conditions how to react. I try to always have a eye in my helmet mount review mirror never leave home without one. Now on another level the Deacon does go over homilies in my head and if fact next weekend is my weekend to preach, so this happens. I also have another habit I have a route that goes by a friend batting pancreatic cancer so every time I go by his house I breath a Hail Mary prayer. I even do this with folks I have on my prayer list, and with that mostly thanks for being able to ride and be out. They probably will drop the thread after my answer at least based on some of mainstream thought.

Also least we forget about Strava segments I sometimes will give them a real go. The problem with these is that after 10 years of them and pushing in age I am not getting faster, but if the wind is in the right direction I may give one a go. Then of course I am usually planning my recovery brunch too. Sometimes it is good not to think just listen the the world.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 12-22-20, 02:06 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
When in traffic on a busy road, I sing the Doxology to myself for peace and comfort.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-22-20, 02:35 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
At 73, I think about how lucky I am to still be doing this! Recently and happily retired, I find that I don't have a lot of conversations going on in my head any more. One of my favorite experiences, which doesn't happen too often, is to be cranking along in an almost zen state and then snap out of it and for a few seconds can't place where I am. What a rush. I don't think it's neurological!
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 12-22-20, 03:38 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I am new enough to the Paceline thing to mainly be concentrating on maintaining the appropriate spacing, doing pulls that are challenging but not exhausting, and trying to remember the route. Cars, road conditions, and brief conversations provide momentary distractions. The best 2 1/2 hours of my early day.
Old 12-22-20, 06:08 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
Did I leave the iron on?
Are we to infer that you iron your cycling shorts
Likes For bargeon:
Old 12-22-20, 08:11 PM
big john

Originally Posted by bargeon
Are we to infer that you iron your cycling shorts
Doesn't everybody?
Old 12-22-20, 08:23 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I haven't been able to ride with a clear head for at least the past five years. I am hoping that, in 2021, riding will once again become relaxing, rather than a series of futile attempts to get my mind off the news of the day.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 12-22-20, 08:40 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I haven't been able to ride with a clear head for at least the past five years. I am hoping that, in 2021, riding will once again become relaxing, rather than a series of futile attempts to get my mind off the news of the day.
Sometimes when riding alone I have to make a conscious effort to stop thinking about that stuff. Some days are worse than others, depending on said news.
When I ride with friends sometimes they want to rehash all that stuff and that is ok in moderation.
Old 12-23-20, 11:30 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
...When I ride with friends sometimes they want to rehash all that stuff and that is ok in moderation.
What makes it harder is that, anywhere you go, you're not allowed to call "all that stuff" by name.
Old 12-23-20, 12:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I usually listen to podcasts on the bike.
Old 12-23-20, 12:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
What makes it harder is that, anywhere you go, you're not allowed to call "all that stuff" by name.
At least not here.
Old 12-23-20, 04:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I usually listen to podcasts on the bike.
I listen to audiobooks while riding, usually alternating between fiction and non fiction.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.