Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

riding with lights without despoiling bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-15-21, 10:42 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have had 2 bad accidents in my riding career (ambulance and broken bones, insurance settlements). Although 25 years apart, both involved an incoming driver turning left directly in front of me (because they didn't see me). After the second (2012), I resolved to always ride with good flashing lights, even in the daytime. (BTW, I ride by myself almost exclusively.) I currently use the Bontrager Ion Pro front light and the Bontrager Flare rear. The rear light isn't too obvious, but the front light is.

I have a beautiful bike, a Mosaic RT-1. If possible, I'd prefer a smaller and less conspicuous front light. If I can't achieve this without sacrificing most of the Ion's effectiveness, I'll suffer through. (I also ride with a saddlebag, because my jersey pockets are already fairly full. So I don't sacrifice that much for pure beauty.)

Suggestions welcome.
Old 01-15-21, 10:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I just went to these. Small and unobtrusive IMO.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/2f...ike-light-set/
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-15-21, 11:04 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Just mount the light upside down so it is mostly invisible from the sides or above.

The smaller lights I am thinking of are going to be much less effective. Think of it this way: Will your bike look better with a slightly bulky light, or will it look better under the wheels of a dump truck?

What I'm trying to say, and you alluded to, is that this is a very small compromise to make for your safety.

One other suggestion - find or make a light-mount that is fastened under the front brake caliper. A light down low by the front tire looks neater than a light on the handlebars... in my opinion, anyways, but I also think that bike would look better with full wrap fenders

Edit:
Here is an example of the type of thing I am suggesting. With this one, which I believe is made for a particular dynamo powered light, you could adapt for any bar-mounted light by cutting a narrow piece of wooden dowel and drilling a hole through it to act as a 'handlebar' on which you can mount your light. Making your own out of a bit of sheet metal or an old rack bracket would also not be too difficult.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod202150
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-15-21, 11:12 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If you don't want to ruin the lines of your very nice Mosiac then how about a helmet light to compliment what you already have? The Light and Motion VIS 360 is one to consider. Another option would be the Lumos helmet with the built in lights. As said I would use these as an adjunct to what you already have. There is no such thing as being to lit up on the road (within reason). Multiple light sources always helps.
Old 01-15-21, 11:27 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by profjmb
I have had 2 bad accidents in my riding career (ambulance and broken bones, insurance settlements). Although 25 years apart, both involved an incoming driver turning left directly in front of me (because they didn't see me). After the second (2012), I resolved to always ride with good flashing lights, even in the daytime. (BTW, I ride by myself almost exclusively.) I currently use the Bontrager Ion Pro front light and the Bontrager Flare rear. The rear light isn't too obvious, but the front light is.

I have a beautiful bike, a Mosaic RT-1. If possible, I'd prefer a smaller and less conspicuous front light. If I can't achieve this without sacrificing most of the Ion's effectiveness, I'll suffer through. (I also ride with a saddlebag, because my jersey pockets are already fairly full. So I don't sacrifice that much for pure beauty.)

Suggestions welcome.
I feel your pain - I hate things sticking up on top of the bars. I did a couple of things - first I bought some Go-Pro coupler sets (I look on these as the industry standard) and attached a "male" coupler to the underside of my Garmin mount. I then epoxied some "female" couplers to some LED blinkers and to the top of an (I think) 600 lumen rechargeable light. Any of these lights with now attach pretty unobtrusively under the Garmin mount. I also bought what I think is a "handlebar accessory mount", attached a male Go-Pro coupler, so I can mount the big light slung under the handlebar, if I want to run both the blinker and main light. Everything cheapo from Amazon

Likes For Litespud:
Old 01-15-21, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I think that the best way to go about it is to go with a good out-front combo mount (assuming that you're also using a computer) that's stem mounted. They tuck the light under the computer, which makes it unobtrusive/invisible from the saddle and it keeps the front view clean and symmetrical. I have an inexpensive one bought on Amazon and my light is also a camera, so much larger than typical; something smaller would look more tidy.

Old 01-15-21, 11:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have this same setup with my Fly12. Very clean and unobtrusive.
Old 01-15-21, 11:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Don't leave it all to lights alone. Make sure to wear colors that stand out. Make sure to be seen. Make sure you ride in a manner that makes your intentions known and doesn't leave others wondering what you might do.

For that last part, it's sort of hard to describe, but when ever I'm out on the road, whether as a motorist or cyclist, I'm assessing the way others are driving or cycling. The ones that throw me the most are those that are overly polite yielding their right-of-way or those that are so cautiously timid that you have no idea what they might do if you get near them.

It's certainly not a cure-all view. But it is one of many that I think help.

At night, reflectors and reflective clothing also go a long way too along with lights. There are times reflective strips on clothing or vehicle caught my attention more to identify what I was encountering than the lights on it.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-15-21 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-15-21, 01:04 PM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Could you guys link me the gopro mount to slip on light adapter? I am having hard time finding something that will work with my Cygolite.
Old 01-15-21, 01:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have the ION 200 RT in front with the Flare RT in back. Small in size, but effective. Both are controlled by my Garmin head unit.

Over the holidays, I was out on a solo ride on some country roads. While waiting for a stop light to turn, a motorcycle pulled up next to me and said that I completely blended with the trees on the other side of the t-intersection, and the only thing he saw was my flashing rear light. And, I was wearing hi-vis yellow gloves and sleeves. Had to pay attention to that.
I've observed the same thing myself on group rides and events. Can't see yellow in the shade at all on a sunny day. I think part of it is that everyone, including me, is wearing sunglasses. I run a 300 lumen flashing rear light.in daytime. It really needs to be brighter than what one might find adequate at night. A very frustrating thing is that so many good rear lights are only available with seatpost mounts, and I use a saddle bag, no exposed post below it.
Old 01-15-21, 01:29 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
flashing light in daylight is useful to get attention but won't blind a driver. a flashing light in the dark, however, is just confusing. use a steady beam at night.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-15-21, 01:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
If you dont want to not spoil your bike's look, then get one of those magicshine things with an external battery pack that can apparently be seen from orbit. All the wires and whatnot will really muck up the look.
Now if you dont want to spoil your bike's look, just get an out front mount as has been shown and mentioned.

And if you dont want to mount a light with a firm mount, then buy one with a rubber clamp and just hook it on upside down so the light is under the bars instead of perched atop the bars.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-15-21, 09:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
I’d suggest a Specialized Flux 1250 as an option. You’ll get a styled, dual-lens, underbar unit that runs parallel to the handlebar (i.e it’s wider than longer), so better looking and more discreet, and at 1250 lumens, you’re not sacrificing but 50 lumens compared to the Ion Pro. The Fluz has a bar mount, but you can also get a GoPro mount if you want to mount it in a different way; you could get a slim aluminum mount to place it close and directly in front of the bar if you have the space, for example.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fl...ext=49121-1610

Personally, I love the styling of the Knog Blinder Road 600, but it’s a step down, in terms of max lumens, from the Ion Pro.

https://www.knog.com/product/blinder-road-600/
Old 01-15-21, 09:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I use the Bontrager Ion 700, it has a flash option that can not be missed...it is almost blinding at times....but people see me. I used it as my commuter light, so I can also see

Old 01-16-21, 01:23 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Specialized Stix does it for me, you can place it on the bars so the light goes in front of the stem faceplate which is rather aesthetically pleasing. The Elite 2 version of the light has a pretty decent runtime, too.
Old 01-16-21, 08:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Busch and Muller makes many rechargeable headlights and offers a fork crown mount as suggested by ClydeClydeson in post #4.

Even though I have a very powerful light which mounts to the handlebar, I have thought about buying a B&M just to free up some handlebar space.
Old 01-16-21, 10:13 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Could you guys link me the gopro mount to slip on light adapter? I am having hard time finding something that will work with my Cygolite.
K Edge
Old 01-16-21, 10:31 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts

K Edge
Likes For waters60:
Old 01-16-21, 05:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by crazyravr
I got one of these for my Cygolite Expilion:

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Adap.../dp/B07TFL29D6

If you’re talking about a combo computer mount with GoPro fitting, KOM Cycling make an affordable alternative to the K-Edge:

https://komcycling.com/collections/f...oo-gopro-mount
Old 01-16-21, 05:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Branko D
Specialized Stix does it for me, you can place it on the bars so the light goes in front of the stem faceplate which is rather aesthetically pleasing. The Elite 2 version of the light has a pretty decent runtime, too.
I love Stix! I have a front one affixed with velcro to the head tube on one of my bikes. Superstealth housing and mount forms with those Stix!

Not a great pic for illustrative purposes, but that you can hardly see it is kind of the point:

Last edited by chaadster; 01-16-21 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-17-21, 02:35 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
flashing light in daylight is useful to get attention but won't blind a driver. a flashing light in the dark, however, is just confusing. use a steady beam at night.

80%+ of my riding (7,000+ miles last year) is midnight to 6AM up to 100 miles with 3 red lights flashing rear and 1 clear front flashing plus front solid for road illumination. Rear lights are mounted under seat, on handlebar end and on helmet. TRIANGULATION of rear lights seems to work wonderfully since cars move over even 1/2 mile before they come to passing me on longer straight roads.

side bar note -- drivers in Pick-Up Trucks hold a substantial lead in the comparison study of close passing instead of moving over for more side clearance. Side mirrors extending out from body of the vehicle are of greatest concern.
Old 01-17-21, 07:22 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a Flare R in the rear and a Ion 100 in the front. The Ion 100 in not a headlight so it will not illuminate the road at night. But it is a strobe and will let drivers know you're there. Its very good this time of year when the sun is low in the sky and looking south has a lot of glare.

Old 01-17-21, 08:25 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Seems like you have a lot of options but I’ll just throw in my setup which like you I wanted to keep clean. This was my old garmin and Bontrager light. Has since been replaced with a newer Bontrager Ion and Garmin. Mount is a K Spoon for one piece bar/stem combos with the holes on the underside. The adjustment knob that sticks out has also been removed and replaced with a nut so it’s cleaner along with color matched leather bar tape from Busyman Cycles.

Likes For robbyville:
Old 01-17-21, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you dont want to not spoil your bike's look, then get one of those magicshine things with an external battery pack that can apparently be seen from orbit. All the wires and whatnot will really muck up the look.
Now if you dont want to spoil your bike's look, just get an out front mount as has been shown and mentioned.

And if you dont want to mount a light with a firm mount, then buy one with a rubber clamp and just hook it on upside down so the light is under the bars instead of perched atop the bars.
Before I got my Fly12, I did exactly like that:

Likes For caloso:
Old 01-17-21, 03:36 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little despoilation, IMO...

Likes For woodcraft:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.