Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California reboot - Sept 12

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California reboot - Sept 12

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 07:14 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Reorganized the first post with powdercoaters by state rather than alphabetically, found a cool online tool to indicate which states have a bicycle powder coater listed so we can see where we have holes in our data easily. Some larger states should have listings further broken down (SoCal vs NorCal as an example), the idea is to post powdercoaters that aren't too far away from most of our C&V forum members. The southeast US isn't represented as of the time I'm typing this, for example.
Wow, talk about thread drift!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-14-21, 07:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Wow, talk about thread drift!
Rewatching old Dr. Who's, apparently the TARDIS went astray...
Old 02-14-21, 09:21 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
I think it is 50-50 at this point. The organizers are doing their best. I had sent an email to Kaori just before the date change on the web site. I was thinking that maybe I would be vaccinated by April , I am registered because I am 66 and an essential worker. Now I see here in Cali , they are out of vaccine so who knows. In California and locally in Ventura County I have unfortunately lost faith in our leadership. Not much information and just wait and see mentality. My daughter in San Diego is 23 also essential worker, already vaccinated! It is not consistent at all statewide , it varies from county to county. As far as doing Eroica I would not have a problem with doing it, I just have concerns about the number of people unless most are vaccinated.
Old 02-15-21, 12:39 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I think it is 50-50 at this point. The organizers are doing their best. I had sent an email to Kaori just before the date change on the web site. I was thinking that maybe I would be vaccinated by April , I am registered because I am 66 and an essential worker. Now I see here in Cali , they are out of vaccine so who knows. In California and locally in Ventura County I have unfortunately lost faith in our leadership. Not much information and just wait and see mentality. My daughter in San Diego is 23 also essential worker, already vaccinated! It is not consistent at all statewide , it varies from county to county. As far as doing Eroica I would not have a problem with doing it, I just have concerns about the number of people unless most are vaccinated.
I think we're all a bit impatient with the vaccine rollout, as we should be, but this is something never done before. We'll screw it up six ways to Sunday, but things will improve. I got an email from a friend saying all of King County in Washington State is a vaccine FUBAR, but in the next county over it was fairly simple. He and his wife got their first jab and are scheduled for #2 in three weeks. I check daily, and the US is averaging >1.5M shots a day, so somebody is getting those shots, just not you and I right now. 66? I'll bet you get your first jab in a few weeks, the frustration is just not knowing when.
Old 02-15-21, 01:00 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Then when will we get the 3rd (booster) shot for the variants?
Old 02-15-21, 06:52 AM
Kabuki12

I really want this event to happen and I think September is enough time to get us vaccinated if a what gugie says is true and we get the shots. When I was grade school age I got polio vaccine at school. The administration lined us up and we got our shots, it was that simple. There was no political agenda behind it or denial. I think most of us want to be safe, as much as we hate the interruption in our life, this is the way to getting things back on track. For us it is about events like Eroica that we so look forward to, or seeing our loved ones. I have not seen my daughter in almost a year, since she is now vaccinated we are going down to San Diego in our motor home on Wednesday for her birthday . I plan on doing some riding with my wife while we are there, it is a great area for cycling. Thank you gugie for updating me on the roll out , it gives me hope. 1.5 million is really quite an achievement .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-15-21, 07:04 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
I really want this event to happen and I think September is enough time to get us vaccinated if a what gugie says is true and we get the shots. When I was grade school age I got polio vaccine at school. The administration lined us up and we got our shots, it was that simple. There was no political agenda behind it or denial. I think most of us want to be safe, as much as we hate the interruption in our life, this is the way to getting things back on track. For us it is about events like Eroica that we so look forward to, or seeing our loved ones. I have not seen my daughter in almost a year, since she is now vaccinated we are going down to San Diego in our motor home on Wednesday for her birthday . I plan on doing some riding with my wife while we are there, it is a great area for cycling. Thank you gugie for updating me on the roll out , it gives me hope. 1.5 million is really quite an achievement .
welcome back and enjoy. supposed to be a little bit warmer this coming week and less breezy.
Old 02-15-21, 09:09 AM
Kabuki12

Lake Jennings Lakeside(San Diego) California
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
welcome back and enjoy. supposed to be a little bit warmer this coming week and less breezy.
Thank you!! So looking forward to my ride up to Lake Jennings.....and beyond! I have ridden along Mission Bay and down to Old Town and I cannot believe all the cycling trails you guys have. I was riding along a creek path somewhere down there and got passed by a beautiful Celeste Bianchi set up as a single speed. I was just cruising around. Not knowing the area , I kind of just do random rides to anywhere . That's how I found the Lake! Joe

Last edited by Kabuki12; 02-15-21 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-15-21, 02:07 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,058 Posts
Since I'm only 63, I have no idea when the vaccine will be available to me. That's not a complaint, just a statement of reality. My turn will come, and most likely before September.

I hope I'll be able to go. If my wife and I are vaccinated, I probably will, as I very much enjoy Eroica CA - I love me my "Old Farts on Old Bikes" weekend.
Old 02-15-21, 02:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I will be in (I hope) my last semester of this degree, so I can't make it. One year I will, I hope.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-15-21, 09:36 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
I'm 65 and I got my second vaccination last week. Assuming infection numbers drop considerably and the vaccines are effective against the variants, I'm 51% confident the event will happen this fall. Eroica CA isn't perfect, but it's too close to home for me to skip it.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 02-15-21, 10:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Straightblock
I'm 65 and I got my second vaccination last week. Assuming infection numbers drop considerably and the vaccines are effective against the variants, I'm 51% confident the event will happen this fall. Eroica CA isn't perfect, but it's too close to home for me to skip it.
Damn, maybe I should get on the Fresno County site and sign up....
Old 02-16-21, 09:45 AM
Kabuki12

I am 66 and here in Ventura County it is kind of up in the air. I am supposed to be summoned "soon". I am really pretty sure I will have both doses by September. I am looking forward to seeing you there. We had a real good time in 2019 and I still have the pictures you took of Rich and I . If I remember right , you had a cool SunTour jersey ? Joe

Photo Courtesy Straightblock
Old 02-16-21, 12:13 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Well, having moved away from that area this past August (and having missed out on the 2020 ride, naturally), I'm trying to move back. If I get back there and am vaccinated, I'll be at the ride. Such a great course, such a great day to see all the old bikes out there.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 02-16-21, 10:04 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
If I remember right , you had a cool SunTour jersey ? Joe

Photo Courtesy Straightblock

It's my old team jersey I've had since 1977. I've worn it at all the Eroica CA's so far. I don't know how much longer I can wear it, though. Even though it's acrylic and not wool, it seems to be shrinking a little bit every year.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 02-17-21, 07:58 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
...and in 2017:

Old 02-17-21, 04:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

It's my old team jersey I've had since 1977. I've worn it at all the Eroica CA's so far. I don't know how much longer I can wear it, though. Even though it's acrylic and not wool, it seems to be shrinking a little bit every year.
When it "shrinks" too much, there's always the repro route:

Old 02-17-21, 10:22 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I've gotta get me one of those!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 02-17-21, 11:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by mountaindave
I've gotta get me one of those!
Oregon Cyclewear has the jerseys, specify embroidery per instructions, Spectrum Embroidery (2 miles from me!) does the work. I had them do the artwork, which is "open source".
Old 02-18-21, 07:08 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
I'll do both, circumstances willing.
Then perhaps I should once again bring up my extended Tour D'Eroica concept. If you will recall, it involved riding Cino, then strapping on a few bags and riding to Eroica, then riding Eroica. Let's see now, we'd have two weeks and it's a mere 1,200 miles. That's less than 100 miles per day! Not only that, but we'd be so fit that we'd literally fly up Cedar Mountain. Now, where am I going to get that extra vacation time from?
Old 02-18-21, 07:35 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

That is an amazingly common phenomenon. I think someone should do a research study to find out what it is about these jerseys that makes them do that.
Likes For davester:
Old 02-18-21, 08:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by davester
Then perhaps I should once again bring up my extended Tour D'Eroica concept. If you will recall, it involved riding Cino, then strapping on a few bags and riding to Eroica, then riding Eroica. Let's see now, we'd have two weeks and it's a mere 1,200 miles. That's less than 100 miles per day! Not only that, but we'd be so fit that we'd literally fly up Cedar Mountain. Now, where am I going to get that extra vacation time from?
Gimmee 2 more years, and I'm in!
Old 02-18-21, 09:35 PM
davester

Gimmee 2 more years, and I'm in!
You're on! I'm retiring this coming January so I'll be available in two years for high adventure.
Old 02-18-21, 10:24 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
That would be heroically epic! You would be a most honored participant at Cino for sure!!

Almost 10 years ago I met a retired guy on my first STOKR (habitat for humanity fundraiser century in Libby, MT) and he had bike camped his way from Missoula to Libby (200 miles or so), did the century, then rode home. On a mid 80's Schwinn Cimarron. He rode party pace, but still...
Old 02-18-21, 10:43 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Oregon Cyclewear. Yeah, great for wool but they have poly retro looking jerseys on close out at 2 for $25. Please somebody buy them all so I will not be tempted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.