Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 06:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The metal pile, which has been loaded and sent to the scrap metal yards, produced this old Tonka toy truck (metal and quite old)...
A few other toy trucks came his way today. Two really old steel Tonka trucks..
Not that old - plastic wheels and not rubber with insert hubcaps
Old 10-10-20, 07:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,996 Posts
July 6, 2020 - On Wednesdays only two of the four dumps, that I frequent, are open and only in the afternoon. Anyway, nothing worth mentioning at dump one but dump two produced these old bikes, both CCMs but re-badged as "Super Cycle", a Canadian Tire (department store) brand name. Closer inspection, on my part, reveals that the step through is an Eaton's offering, a Road King I think...

I did find something kind of interesting, but not sure what to do with it. A hand made or really professionally made vice/clamp thingie that appears to be useful for something...
probably a metal shop project from an industrial education course.

Just struck a memory, made a version of that vise with cast aluminum jaws as part of a materials and processes class, decades ago. Professor kept mine, I forgot to ask for it a year later.
Oh well. useful as it had lots of diverse processes involved in it.

Last edited by repechage; 10-10-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 10:04 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
^^^^^^ Woodworkers vise. It should have wooden jaw inserts aand mounts under the top of the workbench.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 12-22-20, 06:30 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Needless to say, I have not kept this thread current. Simply put, when it gets cold in Thunder Bay, the flow to the dump sloooowwwwwwsssss. However, every now and again, even when covered with a patina of snow, something kina cool surfaces.

I spotted this roll top cabinet (jewelry case) at the dump, a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, blew the patina of snow off of it, and put it in the trunk of the Civic...

I took the cabinet inside and set it down. I had groceries and stuff to unload, so I paid no heed to the box as I was unloading the car. During that process, my daughter, all excited, came to the back door, asking if I had looked inside the box? I said no and then she showed me this...
Old 12-22-20, 07:32 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Needless to say, I have not kept this thread current. Simply put, when it gets cold in Thunder Bay, the flow to the dump sloooowwwwwwsssss. However, every now and again, even when covered with a patina of snow, something kina cool surfaces.

I spotted this roll top cabinet (jewelry case) at the dump, a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, blew the patina of snow off of it, and put it in the trunk of the Civic...

I took the cabinet inside and set it down. I had groceries and stuff to unload, so I paid no heed to the box as I was unloading the car. During that process, my daughter, all excited, came to the back door, asking if I had looked inside the box? I said no and then she showed me this..
When I worked at a goodwill back in the day, the manager told me to "ALWAYS" check the drawers. and to pull out the drawers to make sure there's no evelopes wedged in. Looks like a good find.
Old 12-23-20, 06:45 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
probably a metal shop project from an industrial education course.

Just struck a memory, made a version of that vise with cast aluminum jaws as part of a materials and processes class, decades ago. Professor kept mine, I forgot to ask for it a year later.
Oh well. useful as it had lots of diverse processes involved in it.
I made one similar when I went to college for Industrial Arts/Technology Education. Nice vice for mounting under a bench.
I went to Millersville University in PA in 83 to 87.
Old 12-23-20, 08:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Just a quick note - the Hunter's pocket watch is not valuable, nor is its missing battery. The chain, belonging to Brenda is a medi alert for penicillin. The pin, in the plastic bag, says FND, short for found, I guess:-)
Old 12-23-20, 09:11 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Just a quick note - the Hunter's pocket watch is not valuable, nor is its missing battery. The chain, belonging to Brenda is a medi alert for penicillin. The pin, in the plastic bag, says FND, short for found, I guess:-)
The value is in the joy of a little girls discovery!
Old 12-23-20, 10:37 AM
randyjawa 

The value is in the joy of a little girls discovery!
That little girl is now a grand mother two times and he oldest made me a great grand father.
Old 12-27-20, 08:06 PM
TheRodeWarrior

Bikes: CCM of all sorts, Kona AfricaBike, Kuwahara Apollo Mount Shasta, Peugeot Hurricane Creek, Barracuda A2B, Raleighs of all sorts mainly 3 speeds, Norco Kokanee. Rocky Mountain. Mongoose Maneuver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a similar watch in pewter from Consumers Distributing back in the day. My brother had a matching bronze coloured one. Nice find. Pin seems to be National Firearms Assoc. Canada

Last edited by TheRodeWarrior; 12-27-20 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 04:45 AM
randyjawa 

Pin seems to be National Firearms Assoc. Canada
Thank you for the heads up on that. I could not help but wonder and I do intend to keep the pin. It will be nailed to the display beam under my lake cottage where I display other interesting dump finds...
Old 01-04-21, 11:56 AM
randyjawa 

I would have missed this Samsung laptop which was buried, charger and all, under a boxed pile of school books and stuff. But my daughter did find it and it works just fine..!

She also found this original photograph by a well known photographer. Of this,, I know nothing but she buys storage containers, now and again, and is good at researching value...

Old 01-04-21, 06:06 PM
Velikus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Great thread! I especially love that painting at the beginning. A few friends of mine go thru alleys and its amazing the stuff they find...
Old 01-04-21, 11:39 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Cool photo, I would say from the '70's, looking across False Creek towards the North Shore mountains with the Scotia Tower.
Old 02-01-21, 04:05 AM
randyjawa 

It is darn cold where I live, with temperatures usually hovering around minus 20 degrees - burrrrr, pooey stinko (picture is a couple of cold days old)...

But the dump is starting to cough up stuff already in 2021. On Saturday, I went to dump number 1 and scored a box of (what I thought to be antique) Christmas ornaments. My daughter checked the items over, indicating little or no value. Personally, I would have put them on Kijiji for twenty bucks. Anyway...

She wanted to go to Sally's dump (dump #2) and so we headed out. Shortly after starting, I mentioned that, earlier that morning, I had stopped at dump 1, saw a 1993 Toronto Maple Leafs championship print (four feet wide and two feet high) and a single hockey card, both laying in a pile of junk. But the kind of junk that I have come to recognize...

Where I have my summer home, there are tons of cottages. Old people die or just can't keep the places up anymore. The place gets sold and the new owners, frequently, bring in a bulldozer and flatten the old building(s), hauling walls, ceilings, roofs and all, including house contents to the dump.

Well, my daughter insisted that I take her there, after doing the Sally dump run. We did and she found thousands, literally thousands, of hockey, baseball and football cards. Most are plastic but some are from the 1930s and up. She is overwhelmed with how to catalog all of these cards. Anyway, the find of yesterday...

Old 02-01-21, 01:31 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
When I went to college in the fall of 1967 my mother decided to clean out the attic. Out went a decade of Marvel and DC comics, thousands of baseball cards, and a hefty stamp collection. She didn't need to chuck my Erector Set because little brother had already destroyed it.
Old 02-01-21, 01:48 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Just look for the old cards, the new ones aren't probably worth the paper they're printed on.
Old 02-01-21, 07:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,591 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Just look for the old cards, the new ones aren't probably worth the paper they're printed on.
The local card store sells them as a grab bag. When they started selling complete sets it killed a lot of trading.
Old 02-17-21, 05:19 PM
randyjawa 

Last week's trading card find netted my daughter $275.00 for the bulk of them and the guy who bought them was thrilled. Four or five of those cards she kept, thinking they might have some monetary value. Anyway...

It is Feb 17, 2021 and pretty darn cold outside today. None the less, my daughter and I went to Sally's dump and Shuniah's dump and, according to my daughter, we scored pretty darn good. We got a lot of stuff, including old books hand painted art, a 6" brand new Mastercraft adjustable wrench, an ornate leaded glass jar or decanter. Some old and strange tools. But the meat of todays find - old coins...

The coins, a couple anyway, are rare. Turns out the little silver one is a 1943d penny incorrectly stamped with the metal that dimes are made of - last one sold for $52,000.00. There is also an 1891 Indian head penny but unsure of value, at this moment (not positive about the value of the 1943d penny also). A coin from the 1968 Mexico Olympics - not sure of value, if any. The others, I am not sure about but I am sure about one thing - my daughter is still pretty darn excited...

Anyway, if the coins mentioned do have value, they are for sale and, if they are worth a bit, I get to go buy a motorcycle. I hope this one is still available...
Old 02-17-21, 06:28 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'm guessing that '43 is non-magnetic then....

I'd better have a check on my stash of steel cents to make sure I don't have fortune in my drawer.
Old 02-17-21, 06:28 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
The cent is almost certainly a wartime steel cent. These were made of steel and coated with zinc plating. The black spots on it are likely faults in the zinc plating. Check it with a magnet. Wartime steel cents are worth about a dollar or two these days.

A cent incorrectly struck on a dime planchet will often, but not always, lack the raised edge, the dime being ever so slightly smaller than the cent so the planchet doesn't fill up the dies completely. The magnet test is easiest, because dimes from that era were silver (and no US dimes were ever magnetic). But just looking at it, US silver coins from that era (especially ones that have been circulated) will yellow with tarnish so it should be easy to spot an incorrect planchet error among steel cents, even from a distance.

In addition, if I'm not mistaken about the rest of what I've said in this post, the black scars and suspiciously shiny plating may indicate that it's been re-plated at some point in its history. This used to be a popular way to "increase" the value of steel cents.

Sorry to be a coin nerd, I was a huge coin collector in my childhood and I am lucky enough to have remembered a couple things!

Last edited by scarlson; 02-17-21 at 06:54 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 02-17-21, 08:14 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
The things I've learned on BikeForums...
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 02-18-21, 11:54 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Encouraged by the above, ex coin nerd strikes again.

The Mexican 25 pesos is probably the most valuable coin there. It's a bit banged up, so probably little numismatic value, but It is made of 22.5g of 0.72 fine silver, so it's got an intrinsic value in the metal, maybe ten or fifteen dollars depending on the current silver price.

Hope I'm not too disappointing!!
Old 02-18-21, 12:33 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Man in my city if you take a bike from the dump it's a $250 fine, or 6 months in jail. I hate thinking about all the great bikes that have ended up crushed.
Old 02-18-21, 04:05 PM
randyjawa 

Thanks to those who know more about cents that I do and have more sense than some younger people that were involved. No motorcycle for me. Pooey stinko! However...

Many other items were found yesterday...