Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Trying to Match Measurements Between Bikes

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 02-24-21, 01:38 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts

I have a road bike that is already a pretty upright geometry. It's a steel frame, custom geometry. I can ride hours with no fit-related issues. I had a fitting last year to confirm things still dialed in (new saddle), and after making a few changes I feel even better.

I have a 6-week old gravel bike that I've ridden about 500k on paved roads. Even in summer, it's more of an all-surface bike that will see a mix of paved roads, rail trails and gravel roads (with 5% or less of surfaces being gnarly). I'm trying to get this gravel bike to fit as well as my road bike. I feel pretty close after getting new bars, and I'm wondering what change to make next, if any. I've had a fitting with this gravel bike and fitter aware of slight differences but we're giving it time, plus being a gravel bike he thought it should be more upright in any case.

Road bike has 10mm longer reach, and 10mm bigger drop (saddle to bars). Saddle setback is the same. Hard to measure seat height as the road bike has 172.5 cranks with SPD-SL pedals, and the gravel bike 170 cranks and SPD pedals...and of course different shoes. Legs all good so far on both bikes so I'm more interested in dialing in reach so that my upper body is as comfortable as possible.

I can easily move a 10mm spacer to lower the bars and see how that goes. Though I may wait to do this after I've done more riding, and had both bikes out on the road for weeks (not just the road bike indoors). I can get a longer stem, but I want to avoid doing this unless I know it instantly clicks.
Old 02-24-21, 03:32 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
use the bottom bracket as your primary reference point for everything. try to get the effective reach (distances from the BB to the handlebar) and stack to be close to the same. the two bike might end up with somewhat different dimensions in the end and still fit you. that's fine.

Stack and reach calculator is a good place to start.
Old 02-24-21, 04:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
You said you got with a fitter and decided to wait and see. If you change things up, how is that waiting and seeing? You also said the fitter thought you might want to be more upright, but you seem to be going against that and wanting to go lower.

I'm confused.

What is the actual problem you are having on the gravel bike that you think is fit related?
Old 02-24-21, 04:40 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Iride01
You said you got with a fitter and decided to wait and see. If you change things up, how is that waiting and seeing? You also said the fitter thought you might want to be more upright, but you seem to be going against that and wanting to go lower.

I'm confused.

What is the actual problem you are having on the gravel bike that you think is fit related?
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Had a proper fitting on the road bike, 6-8 months ago, it's perfect.

Bought the gravel bike a month ago from another store, sat on the bike and had a brief fitting. I had mentioned I felt more upright, etc., he said that's expected on a gravel bike, etc. We agreed to wait and see. I've since ridden the bike a bunch and feel a minor twinge at base of my neck and shoulders. I then take detailed measurements and what I noted above was different. I can wait and see, but it's February and I'm still riding this bike quite a bit and it will be some time before I'm on gravel due to weather. I'm questioning my original decision (sales persons recommendation) to wait and see...wondering if I should make some adjustments.

P.S. to be honest, I hate posting questions in forums (how much do I write, how little, will it make sense, I know what I want to say but I start typing and it's not exactly what's in my head, or perhaps I'm still confused so what's in my head isn't clear...), sometimes I post a question and one person nails the answer, another has no idea what I'm talking about. No one's fault, it's not the ideal setting IMO. Thanks though and I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.
Old 02-25-21, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Noonievut
P.S. to be honest, I hate posting questions in forums (how much do I write, how little, will it make sense, I know what I want to say but I start typing and it's not exactly what's in my head, or perhaps I'm still confused so what's in my head isn't clear...), sometimes I post a question and one person nails the answer, another has no idea what I'm talking about. No one's fault, it's not the ideal setting IMO. Thanks though and I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.
Don't hate it. Like a lot of things it's practice makes perfect. Obviously though we all... including myself, need more practice. I often think a brief but somewhat concise OP is best. Then as other start to get involved add more nitty gritty details to answer questions or to halt things that are misunderstood and derailing the conversation.

Sometimes a detailed drawn out OP is useful. But I'm loathe to read them. Simply don't have the time to get around to all the other things needing to be read.

Regardless do what you are used to. You'll probably evolve over time if you don't take offense of those that poke jabs at you or those that seem to enjoy rubbing salt in wounds. They are just part of forum life. At one time or another we all have been both whether we realize it or not.

As for your twinge around your shoulders, is your bar width different between the two bikes? If your hands are wider apart on one, then that might be making you too rigid. Might be you don't have quite the right reach and or drop. Might be your front tire is pumped up too much and sending too many bumps your way.

Other things too. Pester the place you bought the bike from about fit and if you can, pester the fitter of the first bike. Any free advice they are willing to give will probably be better than or as good as what you get here. They can at least see and watch you on your bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-25-21, 03:28 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't hate it. Like a lot of things it's practice makes perfect. Obviously though we all... including myself, need more practice. I often think a brief but somewhat concise OP is best. Then as other start to get involved add more nitty gritty details to answer questions or to halt things that are misunderstood and derailing the conversation.

Sometimes a detailed drawn out OP is useful. But I'm loathe to read them. Simply don't have the time to get around to all the other things needing to be read.

Regardless do what you are used to. You'll probably evolve over time if you don't take offense of those that poke jabs at you or those that seem to enjoy rubbing salt in wounds. They are just part of forum life. At one time or another we all have been both whether we realize it or not.

As for your twinge around your shoulders, is your bar width different between the two bikes? If your hands are wider apart on one, then that might be making you too rigid. Might be you don't have quite the right reach and or drop. Might be your front tire is pumped up too much and sending too many bumps your way.

Other things too. Pester the place you bought the bike from about fit and if you can, pester the fitter of the first bike. Any free advice they are willing to give will probably be better than or as good as what you get here. They can at least see and watch you on your bike.
Iride01 Thanks for sharing that helpful perspective about posting. Well said!

Bar width (just measured) - while the state width is the same the gravel bar has some flair and when I measure width between the hoods the gravel bar is about 1.5cm wider. I don't think it's a problem just takes a bit of getting used to...as I really like these bars on the gravel bike.

I may end up bringing in both bikes to where I bought the gravel bike, so they can watch me on one then the other. Thing is, not everyone tries to match their road and gravel bikes, so I look to be barking up this tree and getting comments about the slight differences being okay. I know they do care about my fit on the bike though and will help with that as needed (already swapped the bar, said they can swap the saddle). It's not very close to home though so each trip there takes some planning...but if I give it more time and continue to have some discomfort this will be my likely next step.
Old 02-25-21, 03:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Might help some others to know what bikes you are talking about. Year, make and model... or a pic of each square on from the side.

I'm only a road bike guy. So I can't be much help for gravel. Although if you ride your gravel bike mostly on paved roads, then pretty much it's a road bike. And in that case your position can be anything to as aero and low as you care to be.

I'd think depending on how much effort you ride actual gravel and what the terrain is, that your position on them can be pretty much what ever you want. Though I can imagine that slower cadences slugging through loose gravel might need a more upright position. But I don't really know as I've not done it.