Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 02:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It begs the question... why not just stick with what we have
'cause this is damn sexy!

Old 02-25-21, 02:44 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Can't remember where I saw it, but they already thought up the variable width handlebar and length stem issue with integrated cockpits for road bikes. Ahh, the Canyon Aeroad. Not stem length, but IMHO that's a thing you should get a bike fit first. Then order the bike per your fit coordinates. Not the other way around, buying bikes then buying more junk to adjust the fit.

With TT bikes integrated cockpits already adjust up, down, pad width, pad tilt.

It will just take a while for the tech to trickle down cost wise.

Again though, the process is:
-get bike fit
-take coordinates to order a bike to those fit coordinates
-ride bike

The process is NOT:
-buy bike
-ride bike
-hate bike
-buy new random stem or bars for bike
-ride bike
-hate bike
-finally get a fit
-buy right stuff
-ride
Definitely makes more sense to know what you are looking for first.
Old 02-25-21, 03:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Ah...yes. Haven't run into them yet. Nice idea....a modular bar and stem setup. I wish someone would have thought of that before.
Might look funny if you flip the stem though.
Old 02-26-21, 08:27 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Some are going more extreme than others, but yeah - aero concerns have more people looking at narrower options. I think that guys running 36cm are going to be outliers, but people nudging down and making 38-40 more common probably isn't a bad bet. I recently moved from 44 to 42cm, and think that I could certainly go a little narrower without ill effect.
I went from 44s to 42s with no issues, and was going to drop to 40s on the new road bike, but decided to make the jump to 38s. After a couple of rides, I didn't even notice it. I def felt the difference when I got back on the gravel bike tho. lol
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-26-21, 08:32 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I went from 44s to 42s with no issues, and was going to drop to 40s on the new road bike, but decided to make the jump to 38s. After a couple of rides, I didn't even notice it. I def felt the difference when I got back on the gravel bike tho. lol
I bet - the bars on my gravel bike feel wide to me, too, more so that I would have guessed for 2cm difference. I suppose it's possible that they're being measured differently, though, and the the difference is even more than the nominal would suggest.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-26-21, 09:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Are you measurably more aero with bars that are 2.5" narrower? If not, whats the benefit? I dont know how I could even accurately measure how much faster I am due to 6cm narrower bars- so much of my speed(or lack of) varies on a given day due to how I am feeling that day, wind, surface quality, route I ride, etc.
If the trend is for bars to go back to the widths they were between the bike boom and mid90s, I will happily add the trend to my long list of trends I dont participate in.

I could see someone adjusting their bar width between bikes based on trail geometry. A higher trail bike having wider bars for leverage and a lower trail bike having narrower bars.
Old 02-26-21, 09:48 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Are you measurably more aero with bars that are 2.5" narrower? If not, whats the benefit? I dont know how I could even accurately measure how much faster I am due to 6cm narrower bars- so much of my speed(or lack of) varies on a given day due to how I am feeling that day, wind, surface quality, route I ride, etc
So there's no benefit to something unless you can personally measure it? While you may not see the value in specific, small optimizations, in and of themselves, it doesn't mean that they're not there and it doesn't mean that they don't add up. Hell, much of the recent history of road cycling, both professional and enthusiast, has been shaped trampled by this concept.

That said, cyclists have been able to measure the drag differences between balls, 2", 3" and 4" in diameter, using methods like RChung's virtual elevation; bars that are 6cm narrower should be much more significant and much more easily observed.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-26-21, 09:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

So there's no benefit to something unless you can personally measure it? While you may not see the value in specific, small optimizations, in and of themselves, it doesn't mean that they're not there and it doesn't mean that they don't add up. Hell, much of the recent history of road cycling, both professional and enthusiast, has been shaped trampled by this concept.

That said, cyclists have been able to measure the drag differences between balls, 2", 3" and 4" in diameter, using methods like RChung's virtual elevation; bars that are 6cm narrower should be much more significant and much more easily observed.
The concept of marginal gains- I get it.
I was asking if the gains arent measurable, what is a measurable benefit. Examples could be the narrower bars are noticeably more comfortable, or stable, or faster steering.
But if its just marginal gains, then cool. Thats as legit a reason as any, but I wasnt sure if there was something noticeable too.
Old 02-26-21, 10:11 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Narrow bars will be the Faux-hawks of the 2020's

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-26-21, 10:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Interesting article. Pro and cons each way. To stay on topic though, you better get that stuff worked out before you get an integrated cockpit!

https://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=870
Old 02-26-21, 11:13 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Interesting article. Pro and cons each way. To stay on topic though, you better get that stuff worked out before you get an integrated cockpit!

https://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=870
I went from 42's back in the day to 44's when i was putting in a ton of heavy efforts in training and then racing. It instantly allowed me to feel "like I could breathe". That was because I have very wide shoulders. The kind where when I walk in any crowded area I constantly have people bumping into my shoulders. I walk around rolling them in subconsciously to make myself less wide. Grabbing narrower bars forces me to roll my shoulders in and has my upper arms pushing against my chest near the tops of my lungs. If I am in a TT position (that's been years) then that goes away as my arms are nearly completely out of the way.

So...the blog - skinny and small dude. He could ride anything he wants and really not notice much of a negative physical effect....and yet has issues with narrower positions.

So to get back to what I was saying earlier....like long negative stems that are slammed and huge saddle to bar drops - these narrow bars will remain the thing all the young skinny kids will want because they think it looks cool and they believe it makes them faster.

Removing one's head will make you faster as well....at least aerodynamically.

Old 02-26-21, 11:26 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I just came across this integrated cockpit assembly video, it leaves out quite a bit of the process to qualify as instructional video but still gives an idea how complicated it is. But if you master the process, so you don't need to backtrack because you forgot to slide some nut on the assembly, it is doable.

The only part I didn't get is at the start of the video, just 15seconds in. He tapes something on the top frame tube? I think what is seen at those 15s is the frame end where the seat post goes into the frame. No idea what that is about.

Otherwise I think that outside of the pro racing where it might do better in aero considerations, this will always remain and be motivated as a 'bad ass look' purchase for the top end of the bike lineups.
Old 02-26-21, 11:41 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by vane171
The only part I didn't get is at the start of the video, just 15seconds in. He tapes something on the top frame tube? I think what is seen at those 15s is the frame end where the seat post goes into the frame. No idea what that is about.
The battery for the groupset - looks like he's taping it in place while he connects the leads.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-26-21, 03:23 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Eh. I think that a lot of things will go wireless and electronic, but I don't see brakes on bikes going that route very soon. The liability of failure for a fly-by-wire braking system is just too high, even with redundancy (which would be a tough sell in road cycling [think of the grams!])
I think, in the fullness of time, we'll see a fully electronic cockpit, with brake-by-wire, or even wireless braking, with some sort of haptic feedback for the brake levers and electrically-powered disk calipers. It'll open up antilock braking, multiple braking points (eg, levers and bar tops), adjustable front-rear braking bias etc. I think if the systems are sufficiently robust, the manufacturers will cover themselves with disclaimers like "remember that cycling is an inherently dangerous activity.... etc etc".
Old 02-26-21, 07:34 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Are you measurably more aero with bars that are 2.5" narrower? If not, whats the benefit? I dont know how I could even accurately measure how much faster I am due to 6cm narrower bars- so much of my speed(or lack of) varies on a given day due to how I am feeling that day, wind, surface quality, route I ride, etc.
If the trend is for bars to go back to the widths they were between the bike boom and mid90s, I will happily add the trend to my long list of trends I dont participate in.

I could see someone adjusting their bar width between bikes based on trail geometry. A higher trail bike having wider bars for leverage and a lower trail bike having narrower bars.
I don't have a wind tunnel, but as anecdotal evidence, I will submit that in the last year and a half or so of riding my regular loop 3-4 times a week, ~42 miles w/ ~3,000ft of elevation, I have only averaged 20mph once, and that was last spring, on my previous road bike, in good weather, with deep wheels. Well, that was until I got the new bike, not sure how much is attributable to the narrow bars, or the fact that Cannondale put some aero focus on the new SuperSix, but I have now averaged over 20mph four times in the last 10 days on that loop, all on windy days, with shallow wheels. I will allow for some new bike magic, but it has been consistently faster, and I would guess that at least some of that is due to my narrower position.
Old 02-26-21, 08:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I don't have a wind tunnel, but as anecdotal evidence, I will submit that in the last year and a half or so of riding my regular loop 3-4 times a week, ~42 miles w/ ~3,000ft of elevation, I have only averaged 20mph once, and that was last spring, on my previous road bike, in good weather, with deep wheels. Well, that was until I got the new bike, not sure how much is attributable to the narrow bars, or the fact that Cannondale put some aero focus on the new SuperSix, but I have now averaged over 20mph four times in the last 10 days on that loop, all on windy days, with shallow wheels. I will allow for some new bike magic, but it has been consistently faster, and I would guess that at least some of that is due to my narrower position.
Well there ya go! New bike plus experimenting with setup is always a fun time of ownership.
4 long rides in the last 10 days? And here i am looking forward to just getting out on a bike at all tomorrow!
Old 02-26-21, 09:55 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Bike I built last year I ended up having to narrow down to 42 form 44. I haven't gotten smaller so I am not sure why other than maybe something has changed as I have gotten older. That said we have always run narrower bars at the track. The pro ranks are pushing ridiculously narrow bars and the elimination of the IAB position by the UCI will simply lead to more of these flexible and death wish prone 20 something racers wanting to push the narrow bar look.

Think of them as the handlebar bags of the pro peloton.

Do you mean like the 38cm bars that were normal in the '60s-'70s?
Old 02-26-21, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Yes they are coming back into style. *looks for vomit emoji and is disappointed*
psimet, I watch the bars go wide and narrow with amusement. I find the old adage, the width of the balls of your shoulders, works very well for me. 39s fit exactly on mine (or at least did before I broke each collarbone twice). I raced 39s and loved them. I've gotten a little soft and not quite as strong so I prefer 40s now 40 years later and I go 42 on city fix gears and gravel, 44 for fix gears that will see real hills. (Wider for leverage going up, wider for speed control as well as bike control gong down. Aero is not a plus on fix gear mountain descents!) I envy your wide shoulders. I can walk straight through any gap in a crowd!

I'll stay away from these integrated cockpits. I hear the "fit is everything" but I can set up a new rig as an exact copy of the fit of another bike and I am still going to tweak stuff. Handlebar height and rotation. Lever placement. (In recent years I've started rotating my bars and levers far down so my wrists are turned down to avoid hand numbness and pain, both riding and after. Nobody is going to make tooling for what my hands need.)

And last, the idea that anybody can fine tune my fit better than I can out on the road with a wrench?
Old 02-27-21, 07:30 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
At 5'11 and 165 lbs, I ride 38cm bars and 165mm cranks and have for a few years now.

Aero is vital for speed.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-27-21, 08:57 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
'cause this is damn sexy!

what's up with the big ugly shifters?? Whatever aero gain is made with integrated stem is now negated by those big shifters. Subtraction by addition.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 02-27-21, 10:14 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by aclinjury
what's up with the big ugly shifters?? Whatever aero gain is made with integrated stem is now negated by those big shifters. Subtraction by addition.
You do understand the the SRAM rhino levers aren't required, right?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-27-21, 10:33 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I only like an integrated cockpit for bikes with wireless shifting and hydraulic brakes. No cable should have to make those twists and turns.
Corollary: Wireless shifting and hydraulic brakes will become the only option for high end or even mid-grade groupsets in the future. Hell, it's basically true already.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 02-27-21, 10:36 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
At 5'11 and 165 lbs, I ride 38cm bars and 165mm cranks and have for a few years now.

Aero is vital for speed.
I'm 5' 7" and people have an aneurysm when I tell them I ride 165mm cranks. I watched a bike fitter have a meltdown over it. I have a friend who's 5' 5" with legs so short that he couldn't ride a size S emonda (seat mast wouldn't go low enough) and even he was told he didn't need anything less than 170s.

I have 38cm bars too but somehow that seems more acceptable to people.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 02-27-21, 10:41 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I'm 5' 7" and people have an aneurysm when I tell them I ride 165mm cranks. I watched a bike fitter have a meltdown over it. I have a friend who's 5' 5" with legs so short that he couldn't ride a size S emonda (seat mast wouldn't go low enough) and even he was told he didn't need anything less than 170s.

I have 38cm bars too but somehow that seems more acceptable to people.
Many bike fitters don't seem to have a clue. I know people who have gone to 2-3 different bike fitters and been given a pretty different fit from each one. It may be fine for the general population, but when you start getting into performance, it becomes a pretty big deal.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-27-21, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts

Black woman in the pilot's seat, Hispanic co-pilot? I think we are still a few years away. (But I can dream.)

How 'bout black anodized stem, gold anodized bars. Now I could ride that. It would look good on my Mooney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.