Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding through unusual/scary places.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding through unusual/scary places.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 04:14 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Years and years ago in 1981, I did a tour from San Diego to Ft Worth Texas... This was in celebration of my completion of years of Navy service and a ride back to my then home town to see family.

Now I was doing this ride in the summer... through the deserts of the US along the interstates... which were the only thru roads. Well along the way a storm system caught me at night a couple of times... and I did not have a tent, just a tarp. One night I slept under a camp table at a rest stop... a bit harrowing with all the lightening and thunder. But I managed to stay dry.

But here is the unusual/scary part... I just made it to Hobbs New Mexico... to the Confederate Air Force Flying Museum... out on this little airstrip in the middle of nowhere. The sky started to show the usual signs of opening up on me, so I inquired about a place to stay... thinking there might be space in a hanger or something. I was told "something would work out..." and to relax and get dinner.

So I had a very nice steak dinner at the airport restaurant... tasted great to a guy doing 80-100 miles a day on a bike.

When I was all through I asked again about a place to bed down, and was pointed to a plane out in the field... and old bomber... I really couldn't tell what type, but it was smaller than a B-52. It was down on it's belly, so the climb in was easy, even pulling my loaded bike in. The rain was just starting, so I worked fast and found a flat spot to lay out my sleeping bag, and get cozy.

Deep into the night, the storm opened up... wind, lightening, thunder and to top it off the plane rocked from side to side. The interior eerily lit up with every lightening flash... flashing light streaked from the cockpit windows down into the reaches of the plane, which seemed friendly enough when I crawled in.

Halfway through the night I awoke with these thundering booms and flashing lights and the rocking plane and my mind just played these "effects" to the hilt. I looked into the cockpit and there were moths just flittering around in either seat... giving the ethereal illusion of some ghostly bodies occupying the controls, while the plane raced through a terrible wartime battle raging just outside... lights flashing, plane a rockin' and the thunder booming. The rain was beating down on the metal shell of the plane while each flash of lightening burst through the cockpit windows and flickered about the otherwise dark empty interior.

It was a strange night of sleep that night... me being dead tired, and my mind racing about the past lives of the plane, all coupled with the intensity of the storm...

Things looked much better in the morning...
Old 07-10-06, 07:07 PM
Gurgus
is as Gurgus does.

Bikes: A whole bunch o' bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Years and years ago in 1981, I did a tour from San Diego to Ft Worth Texas... This was in celebration of my completion of years of Navy service and a ride back to my then home town to see family.

Now I was doing this ride in the summer... through the deserts of the US along the interstates... which were the only thru roads. Well along the way a storm system caught me at night a couple of times... and I did not have a tent, just a tarp. One night I slept under a camp table at a rest stop... a bit harrowing with all the lightening and thunder. But I managed to stay dry.

But here is the unusual/scary part... I just made it to Hobbs New Mexico... to the Confederate Air Force Flying Museum... out on this little airstrip in the middle of nowhere. The sky started to show the usual signs of opening up on me, so I inquired about a place to stay... thinking there might be space in a hanger or something. I was told "something would work out..." and to relax and get dinner.

So I had a very nice steak dinner at the airport restaurant... tasted great to a guy doing 80-100 miles a day on a bike.

When I was all through I asked again about a place to bed down, and was pointed to a plane out in the field... and old bomber... I really couldn't tell what type, but it was smaller than a B-52. It was down on it's belly, so the climb in was easy, even pulling my loaded bike in. The rain was just starting, so I worked fast and found a flat spot to lay out my sleeping bag, and get cozy.

Deep into the night, the storm opened up... wind, lightening, thunder and to top it off the plane rocked from side to side. The interior eerily lit up with every lightening flash... flashing light streaked from the cockpit windows down into the reaches of the plane, which seemed friendly enough when I crawled in.

Halfway through the night I awoke with these thundering booms and flashing lights and the rocking plane and my mind just played these "effects" to the hilt. I looked into the cockpit and there were moths just flittering around in either seat... giving the ethereal illusion of some ghostly bodies occupying the controls, while the plane raced through a terrible wartime battle raging just outside... lights flashing, plane a rockin' and the thunder booming. The rain was beating down on the metal shell of the plane while each flash of lightening burst through the cockpit windows and flickered about the otherwise dark empty interior.

It was a strange night of sleep that night... me being dead tired, and my mind racing about the past lives of the plane, all coupled with the intensity of the storm...

Dude, that is the best story I've heard for a while. Awesome experience.

My scary place on my ride is halfway in. I always ride it at night. It is a long , steep hill that has forest on either side so that it looks like a long tunnel at night.
I ride this hill on my single speed so I'm moving at about 6-7 mph byt the time I reach the top. I know it's silly, but I'm always thinking about Sasquatch when I go up that hill.
Old 07-10-06, 07:49 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

Neat.
Old 07-13-06, 09:05 AM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the creepy areas.

I've been through 2 abandondoned PA turnpike tunnels. One was nearly a mile long. You can access these 5 minutes off of the Breezwood exit Something like a 20 - 24 mile round trip will take you through Rays Hill and Sideling hill tunnels. There is a military shooting range past the Sideling Hill tunnel.

There is an old abandoned steel mill that is pretty cool.

There is a ghosttown rail trail in PA that is cool. A few old mining settlements.

Dravo Cemetery is near the "little" Boston parking area on the ATA

Also on the Allegheny passage -- Abandoned slurry thing near West Newton PA. This is a 12 foot tall, 150 foot in diameter circular, concrete structure that was used for coal mining operations. It has been abondoned for 40 years. Cool thing is that on one side of the thing they blasted a hole to keep it from filling with water. When you stick your head in it the thing is full of pond life and-- get this -- there is a wicked echo. Somebody found these wierd, small balls on this site.

Paw Paw Tunnel is cool. It is a tunnel that has a water channel in it and a bike/ped path. It is on the C&) cannal system. About 4000 feet long.

A friend found a tunnel off the Hudson in NY. It was shaped like a drain and had evidence of blast-testing inside. It was accross the river from a chemical plant (DOW? or Dupont?) where C4 had been abandoned. "Somebody" sealed the tunnel recently with a boxcar! The area has a perimeter wire.

There is a trail in Pittsburgh that went past the old Western Penitentiary, a 19th century prison that was in use up to a year or two ago. When I went past then you could see the old gothic archetexture and hear the echo of the prisoners.

Came across an abandoned house near Fort Hill Pa, a mile or two off of the Allegheny passage. I crept up to the 3rd floor where there where hundreds of snake skins haning from the rafters.

I did some riding in Gainesville Florida several years back. I came across a park. I was riding along and noticed that there was about 30 - 50 gators on either side of the trail as I rode past.

Last edited by slagjumper; 07-13-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 09:56 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
I love the creepy areas.

I've been through 2 abandondoned PA turnpike tunnels. One was nearly a mile long. You can access these 5 minutes off of the Breezwood exit Something like a 20 - 24 mile round trip will take you through Rays Hill and Sideling hill tunnels. There is a military shooting range past the Sideling Hill tunnel.

There is a ghosttown rail trail in PA that is cool. A few old mining settlements.
I remember as a child going through those tunnels in a car, as part of the turnpike.

Where's that railtrail?
Old 07-13-06, 10:32 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode from the lakefront of chicago back home to forest park on madison ave on memorial day weekend last year.It was 90 degrees out and people were saying hey come over here with that bike( Yeah right so you can beat me up and steal it) a kid was going up and down the street on a gas powered scooter.( I asked an african american freind about it they said he was probably selling illegal Pharmacueticals)I am dead tired and just keep going praying and pedaling the whole time.Obviously i made it home okay.
Old 07-13-06, 10:35 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years ago i rode a cook county forest preserve trail when it was pitch black. Maybe 3 am i don't think i had a headlight.I may have ad a flasher and I was trying to follow the white line.
Old 07-13-06, 10:54 AM
pigmode
works for truffles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, at about 4:00 this morning I road past the sidewalk in the local combat zone where 2 guys got shot (1 killed) last week. Looks like business was back to normal: prostitution and drug dealing.
Old 07-14-06, 08:21 AM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stacey
I remember as a child going through those tunnels in a car, as part of the turnpike.
Where's that railtrail?
Not sure which you are talking about, so here is how to get to both.

There are a few ways to get to the tunnels. Easiest is to take the Breezwood exit. It is a long exit "ramp" since the "ramp" used to be the old turnpike. Hang a right on route 30 and you can park past the hotel. The turnpike removed an old overpass so you have ride on 30 for about 2/10s of a mile.

Behind the Sideling hill rest area is a staff service entrance. If you go out there, (take your bike out of the car and sneak through the gate on your bike) You will pass an old turnpike road bed and just find a way up and you are good to go. Not suggested since this is not really allowed.

Another way is from Ft Littleton exit, but that way is convaluted, (you make like 10 rights to get there.) get a local to show you.

https://www.rays-hill.com/turnpike/Web_Pages/FAQ.htm

Ghost town trail--
https://bikewashington.org/trails/ghost/ghost.htm