Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Assess yourself for 2020!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-02-20, 01:07 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

How are things looking for the year ahead? What did you learn last year that you can apply for this year? I found that slowing down a bit and varying the route makes for an enjoyable commute.
Likes For alan s:
Old 01-06-20, 10:59 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have my cargo equipped with a motor now so bike commuting is much easier. Started this past fall and while I'm still a "fair weather" commuter, I've put in way more miles than I would have in the past. Plan to keep it up this year. Maybe even go from 3 days a week to all five work days. Been trying to use the bike more for local shopping runs too. I've invested in better lights and better clothes to expand the hours I can ride and be more comfortable doing it. Here's to 2020!
Old 01-08-20, 10:15 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have no reason to not have a good productive 2020 on the bike. Have everything I need so it boils down to just doing it. I have committed to more rain riding. Seriously, if it’s gotta be sunny in the Seattle area to ride, I would hardly ride at all.
Old 01-08-20, 02:53 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
This will be my first full year commuting with a velomobile. So far, it's really extended my riding into even snowy/icy conditions. I still plan on riding 2 wheels (recumbent) when the weather gets nicer, but I am enjoying the extra warmth of the velo, and the added safety of 3 wheels.
Old 01-11-20, 05:56 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 339 Posts
Bought my first 20” folder (Zizzo Liberte) and it may be a game changer for me. Multi-modal is a snap, it’s easy to throw in the trunk and explore places I go, it’s easier to carry up and down stairs and through tight spots, and it’s just a fun toy.
Old 01-19-20, 04:34 PM
ryan786i

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I changed jobs at the end of October, to a place that was much closer (6 miles RT rather than 16), but in temporary office space and without showers or much of anywhere to change. So I wasn't biking the last two months. I'm trying to get back to it now, and accept that it's now more of a change in a bathroom stall, clean up with wet wipes situation. Which is not really a bad deal for having doubled my pay and gotten into a job that isn't mostly a dead end.
Old 01-22-20, 02:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I started riding to the station early in 2001. Some time in the next month (no idea what day) I'll be starting my 20th year of bike commuting. In that time I've done a lot of things a lot of different ways. I have used a lot of different gear, including quite a few bicycles. Technology has changed a lot in that time! Dynamo hubs were pretty unusual, and the really clever LED headlights just didn't exist. Other than that, I've learned a lot, and accordingly I've upped my game in many ways. I've changed the time I ride, earlier and earlier over the years. I continue to change my route occasionally. And so on.

At this point, looking ahead at 2020, I can't imagine what changes I'll make this year. If I knew something that would improve my commute, I would have implemented it by now. That's not to say it won't happen-- I just don't know what it'll be. Yet.

I think I can safely say no form of motorized bike is in my future. If better rainwear is in my future, that would be fine with me.

Last edited by rhm; 01-22-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 10:03 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Well, 2019 found my usual 6k-ish miles waaay down. Suffering a pulmonary embolism (PE) in July with a resulting left lower lobe infarct really knocked me for a loop. I managed to get some miles in but needed more than a few recovery days in between.

2020 is looking even worse. All the digging around trying to figure out my PE revealed a questionable looking issue developing in my pancreas. Sure enough, I’ve got pancreatic cancer currently at about stage II, maybe III. Thankfully, I’m well connected in my local healthcare system and am assembling a great team to help get me through this.

First round of chemo was a bit of an ass kicker. I’ve seen this in my patients but living it brings a whole new level of understanding. I’ve got more than a few rounds to get through before moving on to surgery, so realistically I’ll be off the bike for most of this year. While my riding serves as a mode of transportation, it’s also been supremely therapeutic, so to whatever ability I can muster, I will.

So, 2020 will find me down, but not out.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 01-23-20, 10:09 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
I learned that leaving my commuting bike locked outside every day will eventually bring someone to cut the U-lock and have it stolen. This year, I will start bringing the new bike inside for the night
Old 01-23-20, 11:08 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I learned that leaving my commuting bike locked outside every day will eventually bring someone to cut the U-lock and have it stolen. This year, I will start bringing the new bike inside for the night
Yep. Locks just keep honest people honest. Predictability invites thieves, no matter how strong the lock.

-Kedosto
Old 01-23-20, 02:32 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Well, 2019 found my usual 6k-ish miles waaay down. Suffering a pulmonary embolism (PE) in July with a resulting left lower lobe infarct really knocked me for a loop. I managed to get some miles in but needed more than a few recovery days in between.

2020 is looking even worse. All the digging around trying to figure out my PE revealed a questionable looking issue developing in my pancreas. Sure enough, I’ve got pancreatic cancer currently at about stage II, maybe III. Thankfully, I’m well connected in my local healthcare system and am assembling a great team to help get me through this.

First round of chemo was a bit of an ass kicker. I’ve seen this in my patients but living it brings a whole new level of understanding. I’ve got more than a few rounds to get through before moving on to surgery, so realistically I’ll be off the bike for most of this year. While my riding serves as a mode of transportation, it’s also been supremely therapeutic, so to whatever ability I can muster, I will.

-Kedosto
Sounds like you are going through a lot. Hopefully you will be back on your bike soon.
Likes For alan s:
Old 01-24-20, 02:08 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts

-Kedosto
Best of luck, hope you beat cancer about the head and shoulders! And then ride many more miles outside with a big grin for as long as possible.
Old 01-24-20, 06:58 AM
weight4it

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have learned that clips/ clipless pedals and shoes are much more efficient than standard, need to get a pair of clipless shoes now!
Old 01-29-20, 06:58 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 339 Posts

-Kedosto
Best of luck to you. Hope you can watch Breaking Away and old videos of the Tour de France while you recover...
Old 01-29-20, 11:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I missed that one when you posted. Good luck Kedosto
Genesis 49:16-17