Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tingley fingers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 07:01 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Tingley fingers?

Mods, please relocate if this in the wrong forum....

Anyone get buzzy hands when cycling? I googled it, and it seems it's a common occurrence, but what I experienced today is hard for me to explain. Today I was indoors, on a spin bike. It was a short workout, HIIT, about 30 minutes including warm-up and warm-down.

When I was finished, I noticed that my fingertips on my left hand were tingly. Just the tips, and it was every finger, including my thumb. It went away in about a minute or two after I stopped teh workout. I've experienced something like this when cycling 2 hours on gravel, but I always chalked that up to the buzz from the gravel. There's no gravel in the bedroom. : )

On my google searches, I saw some causes, like carpal tunnel, or ulnar neuropathy, but from what I can see, these affect some of the fingers, not all of them. I had a tiny tingle in each fingertip. Any ideas? This is the first time I've had it on the indoor bike. I've had it many times on the two hour outdoor gravel rides.
Old 12-18-20, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Things could be poorly set up on your bike and you are not able to get blood to your finger tips. A lot of those spin bikes don't seem to be set up like a bike or super adjustable in any sense other than maybe notches on the "seat post"
Old 12-18-20, 07:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
could be the start of tenditus. I can keep it from happening till I start wearing gloves then it comes back.
Old 12-18-20, 07:22 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Bad sign.

For me, sliding the saddle slightly backwards (and reviewing the height then) fixed it. I was a bit too forward which meant I wasn't quite balanced on the bike which was apparent if I took my hands off the bars. This put just a little bit extra pressure on my hand which would make my left hand pinky tingle during hard efforts.
Old 12-18-20, 10:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Do you wear gloves? What kind of handlebars (i.e. do they offer multiple hand positions)?
Old 12-18-20, 11:40 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Things could be poorly set up on your bike and you are not able to get blood to your finger tips. A lot of those spin bikes don't seem to be set up like a bike or super adjustable in any sense other than maybe notches on the "seat post"
That's what I think it is.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
could be the start of tenditus. I can keep it from happening till I start wearing gloves then it comes back.
The gloves cause the tendonitis?

Originally Posted by Branko D
Bad sign.

For me, sliding the saddle slightly backwards (and reviewing the height then) fixed it. I was a bit too forward which meant I wasn't quite balanced on the bike which was apparent if I took my hands off the bars. This put just a little bit extra pressure on my hand which would make my left hand pinky tingle during hard efforts.
Yes, I'm going to work on that.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Do you wear gloves? What kind of handlebars (i.e. do they offer multiple hand positions)?
Indoors I don't wear gloves, outdoors I don't unless it's cold. The spin bike's bars and my outdoor bike's bars (Moloko bar) do have a number of different position, but indoors I only use one position....like a straight bar, somewhat narrow grip, and the bar is flattened in the section that I grip. I just sat on the spin bike, and I do think it puts a lot of pressure on my palm. I will change position and try again. I did some googling to see what the arteries that supply the fingers look like, and the main feed to all fingers is from section in the palm of the hand, exactly where all the pressure is on the bar. I must be putting too much pressure on it. It's interesting that I have never felt it on the spin bike before, but it could be because I've gained weight recently and my core needs a little strengthening.
Old 12-18-20, 11:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,605 Times in 2,909 Posts
Sounds like either nerve or blood supply deficit due to compression. Put on your cycling gloves indoors and see if that makes a difference.

Free pseudoquqckery advice served daily.

Heck Yeah wear cycling eyewear on my stationary so my eyes don’t dry out in front of the fan.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-19-20 at 12:20 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-19-20, 12:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Id doesn't take long at all to get numbness if you are compressing one of the nerves running to the hand. Move your seat back a little or get a longer stem.
Old 12-19-20, 07:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
How tightly do you grip the handlebars?

Maybe almost not at all for indoor riding. There's no gravel in the bedroom - or potholes, turns or loose stuff, so relax the grip.
Old 12-19-20, 08:00 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
i get that from spinal stenosis of the vertebrae in my upper neck. Sometimes it is just finger tips, other times my whole hands tingle continuously for weeks/days

Take time to stretch and rotate your upper back. chiropractors are a godsend.

while scary it really isn't a big issue, I've lived with it for decades.

Have to take exception to the longer stem suggestion. For me the single biggest benefit has come from a more upright riding position. This not only takes pressure off the upper back but more importantly put your neck in a more natural alginment.

Guy don't want to hear this but a recumbent will almost certainly cure this problem for you.
Old 12-19-20, 09:27 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
That's what I think it is.

The gloves cause the tendonitis?
no it just seems to make it happen on the bike I guess because it changes the way I hold onto the bars.
Old 12-19-20, 09:44 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Add thick bar tape on handlebars. I also bend my elbows to keep my upper body from pressing down to hard on my hands. Riding indoors you sit in one positron for way too long.
so constantly move hand positions during a ride. Many use rocker plates to give movement to their bike to relieve pain.
Old 12-19-20, 10:12 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
i get that from spinal stenosis of the vertebrae in my upper neck. Sometimes it is just finger tips, other times my whole hands tingle continuously for weeks/days
I suffered from a bulging disk in my neck ten years ago. The doctor tapped the side of my neck and it felt like he was tapping just above the crook in my arm. I would have liked to explore that sensation more but I was in agonizing pain, and the tapping just added to it. Then five years ago I began having a recuriung, but milder pain in almost that same area, but it turned out to be tennis elbow from laying in bed and holding my phone while resting my elbow on the bed next to me.
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Add thick bar tape on handlebars. I also bend my elbows to keep my upper body from pressing down to hard on my hands. Riding indoors you sit in one positron for way too long.
so constantly move hand positions during a ride. Many use rocker plates to give movement to their bike to relieve pain.
+1. I'll add that I have been using 1/2" foam pipe insulation (like thin pool noodles) on all my bikes since my mid 40s (about 15 years ago). It's not for nerve pain or tingling, but a crampiness that sets in. Changing hand positions helps. And since I changed my last straight bar bike to drops, like my other two, the cramps only occur on longer rides.
Old 12-19-20, 11:14 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by rsbob
Sounds like either nerve or blood supply deficit due to compression. Put on your cycling gloves indoors and see if that makes a difference.

Free pseudoquqckery advice served daily.

Heck Yeah wear cycling eyewear on my stationary so my eyes don’t dry out in front of the fan.
I will try that. Outdoors though, I do wear gloves, and I sometimes get the finger buzzing. I don't know that it's the same thing. I usually don't pay much attention to it outdoors, as I'm on lots of gravel. I always thought it was due to the constant buzzing of the gravel, but I also thought it strange that I still got it while wearing gloves.
Old 12-19-20, 11:17 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
no it just seems to make it happen on the bike I guess because it changes the way I hold onto the bars.
And what are the symptoms?
Old 12-19-20, 11:20 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Wildwood
How tightly do you grip the handlebars?

Maybe almost not at all for indoor riding. There's no gravel in the bedroom - or potholes, turns or loose stuff, so relax the grip.
Indoors, not hard at all. I just kind or rest them on a flat section of the bar. There does seem to be a lot of weight though on my hands.
Old 12-19-20, 11:22 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Take time to stretch and rotate your upper back. chiropractors are a godsend.

while scary it really isn't a big issue, I've lived with it for decades.

Have to take exception to the longer stem suggestion. For me the single biggest benefit has come from a more upright riding position. This not only takes pressure off the upper back but more importantly put your neck in a more natural alginment.

Guy don't want to hear this but a recumbent will almost certainly cure this problem for you.
I have only gotten the sensation while cycling though. One would think I'd get symptoms at other times as well, if it were due to stenosis. I'm going to change my grip on the indoor bar and see if that stops the tingling. I've only felt it once indoors.
Old 12-19-20, 11:29 AM
Wattsup

Yeah, Indoors, I'll try wearing some thick gloves, add foam, and/or move my hands to a different position. Outdoors, my moloko bar already does have thick foam grips, but I still sometimes have buzzing, even when wearing thick gloves. It's a bigger buzz than what I experienced on the spin bike though. It was just the fingertips on the spin bike. I can't assume the symptoms, outdoors and indoors have the same causes.
Old 12-19-20, 11:31 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Id doesn't take long at all to get numbness if you are compressing one of the nerves running to the hand. Move your seat back a little or get a longer stem.
How would that help? Wouldn't that put more weight on my hands?
Old 12-19-20, 11:33 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Try some Vitamin B-12

Old 12-19-20, 02:13 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I sit up some times and ride with my hands down to my sides for 10 minutes. I have a Kicker bike and it I am riding a coarse or workout that is not using the up/down tilt. I will tilt the bike up all the way to relieve pressure on my back and arms.
Old 12-19-20, 03:21 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Indoors, not hard at all. I just kind or rest them on a flat section of the bar. There does seem to be a lot of weight though on my hands.
Core strength, to support upper body without hands touching bars. Especially on hard efforts.
The hands & wrists only function is to guide/turn/brake the bike from multiple hand positions, not support your upper body.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-19-20 at 03:24 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-19-20, 08:16 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Try some Vitamin B-12
I get more than the RDA in a multi I take every day.
Old 12-19-20, 08:21 PM
Wattsup

I sit up some times and ride with my hands down to my sides for 10 minutes. I have a Kicker bike and it I am riding a coarse or workout that is not using the up/down tilt. I will tilt the bike up all the way to relieve pressure on my back and arms.
i do that when riding outdoors sometimes. I call it my "prairie dog" position. I can't seem to do it very well indoors. I think i need an adjustment to my saddle.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Core strength, to support upper body without hands touching bars. Especially on hard efforts.
The hands & wrists only function is to guide/turn/brake the bike from multiple hand positions, not support your upper body.
Yes, I've noticed lately when riding outdoors, my arms sometimes get tired after and hour or so. That's something new. I've gained some weight, and I also haven't done anything but bike. I think when I bike, the rest of the body just wastes away! I'll start doing some work with my Power Blocks again.
Old 12-23-20, 01:25 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
How would that help? Wouldn't that put more weight on my hands?
It depends on where you are putting the weight on your hands. Roughly, the nerve bundles and blood vessels that cause the 'tinglies' run through the 'heel' of your hand, where your thumb 'crease' meets the palm. Pressure on them will make your fingers go numb pretty quickly. Moving the bar forward (and possibly down) moves your grip to the 'ball' under the knuckles, and relieves the pressure on that ulnar canal.

Everyone's physiology is different, so what works for one, may not work for others.

In my case, going to a lower, wider cockpit with a 24* flared 'gravel' bar fixed that issue for me. Yeah, there's definitely more weight on my hands, but it's where it is that makes the difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.