Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

26" conversion

Old 01-02-21, 11:45 AM
Podolak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
26" conversion

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question, here is my story and I can move it to a different sub-forum if requested.

I have a 2006 Marin Novato (fully rigid 26" mountain bike marketted as a commuter). It has sentimental value and I do not want to replace it with a new bike. However, I am extremely curious about making it into a 69er. I'd like to replace the front fork with a 29er fork (maybe Surly ECR) and disc brakes. I'd go disc brakes in the back as well, its rim brake front and back. The 26" steel fork it currently has is rim brake only so it has to go regardless.

What types of things should I look for when doing this. I assume I can't just buy a fork and wheel and go to town, there must be measurements and so forth to consider.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-21, 11:49 AM
Podolak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally found a pic (Its currently in NY and I am in MD).
Old 01-02-21, 12:01 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I built several bicycles and modified a couple. For whatever reason, I can't think too much from the top of my head right now but I'd say things to look for: is your fork compatible more with an integrated headset and is it for a straight tube or tapered. Also, what kind of hub is compatible with the fork (9mm QR or thru-axle).

By the way, that looks like a very nice bike. You could always upgrade to Alivio V-brakes and Jagwire brake pads if you're not satisfied with your braking.

Why not go 27.5" at the front? You also have to pay attention to crown to axle length of the fork.
Old 01-02-21, 12:07 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Right off the hop, a 29 suspension fork on a rigid 26" frame is going to throw the geometry off by quite a bit and really effect handling. One of the big effects will be a loss of control when climbing. The bike will want to lift the front end off the ground and become quite twitchy because your center of gravity (COG) will be more rearward.

For brakes. Replacing the front V fork to disc is easy if you want. The rear, a little harder as you don't have the mounts. But, one great improvement you can make is going with compressionless brake housings for your V brakes. Shimano and Jagwire both make them.

On this bike I just went through that compressionless housing process, as well as upgrading the U brake/cantis to more modern bmx style cross brakes and V's up front. The effect on braking was pronounced. I can actually stop now on steep mtb routes.

I've replaced a 26 rigid fork with a similar 26 suspension fork before and even there, the height difference made this twitchy effect while climbing quite noticable. But in other respects it worked fine and I like it for mtbing.

This first pic was the first conversion using an old hybrid suntour suspension fork. I put a lot of gravel road/mtbing miles on that thing and really liked it as a cheap, low travel fork.

This pic shows the second, better Marzocchi suspension fork. It has both rim and disc mounts so, if I wanted to, I could go 180 rotors, hydraulic disc but it stops fine with V's and compressionless housings.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-21 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 12:18 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
It looks like the wheels might just fit but you wouldn't be able to use super fat tyres.

The biggest problem I think is how to mount the rear disk caliper? Unless you want to weld something onto the frame but if you do it needs a heat treatment.

If you go with rim brakes on the rear I doubt they would fit as the V brake posts will be in the wrong place relative to the rim.

I heard 26" wheels are coming back into style anyway so I would keep it original. It looks like a nice bike!
Old 01-02-21, 12:19 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
First, rent a disc 29er for a week and ride it for at least 200 miles in at least one downpour and see if you actually feel any significant difference worth spending ~60% the cost of a whole new bike on some wheels, brakes, and a fork & starnut.

Next: Research “rake & trail”

If it seems straight forward and dead easy, go forth and continue your mod quest.

———

If you do the mod, you’ll end up with a raised BB, a slacked out steerer, and since geo specs on even mid-end bikes are less than reliable, you’ll just be WAGing your trail or (spending 100-150% as much as you would on a new bike) experimenting with different forks to find an amount of trail that you dislike the least.

———

That looks like a sweet bike. It’s cool that it has non-flatmount style disc mounts, though I haven’t seen any bikes with those in like eight years. Getting a new caliper to fit might be a challenge. Planned obsolescence is one of many reasons I just stick with rim brakes on most of my bikes. Compressionless housing and good pads are better than fine for everything that isn’t hucking it down some insane MOAB or 14er cliffsides.

Only thing I would change are the tires (because I like tires that roll fast and get lots of flats) and the bottle cage (King Iris).

Last edited by hsuBM; 01-02-21 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 12:30 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Podolak
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question, here is my story and I can move it to a different sub-forum if requested.

I have a 2006 Marin Novato (fully rigid 26" mountain bike marketted as a commuter). It has sentimental value and I do not want to replace it with a new bike. However, I am extremely curious about making it into a 69er. I'd like to replace the front fork with a 29er fork (maybe Surly ECR) and disc brakes. I'd go disc brakes in the back as well, its rim brake front and back. The 26" steel fork it currently has is rim brake only so it has to go regardless.

What types of things should I look for when doing this. I assume I can't just buy a fork and wheel and go to town, there must be measurements and so forth to consider.

Any help would be appreciated.
First things first. Why do you want to do this? That is, for what riding purpose? It will inevitably be a lot of time, trouble and expense to do all this, so you probably want some clarity on what you are after and why. And if you are after something profoundly different from what that bike was designed for, it will probably be much more efficient to get a bike designed for that purpose.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 01-02-21 at 12:33 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 01-02-21, 02:23 PM
Podolak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, amazing input and so much of it. Major appreciation all.

I have moved to a new area and sold off most of my stable. I was planning on keeping my Kona Dew Drop only, disc brake 700x38 marathon plus tires, etc. However the trails got a bit rough when the rain hit. I realized I needed something with a bit wider tire for when the mud and wet rock come in. I hadn't sold the Novato yet mainly because I was keeping it as something to use in NY until I fully vacated and also because I took it through several winters and honestly not sure I feel comfortable selling it. My theory was keeping a frame I have sentimental attachment to and bringing it up to speed for a slightly more rugged environment than I anticipated.

The theory behind a 29" front wheel was to help with traction and handling a bit. The disc brake idea is for stopping power, the frame was built for disc brakes just not the fork. I am open to suggestions even ones such as this is a terrible idea. Again all of the input is very appreciated.
Old 01-02-21, 02:27 PM
Podolak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 01-02-21, 04:46 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
You might find that the 26er does fine with the right tires. I have an old 26er MTB that I ride a lot and have two wheel sets: one with smooth, fast tires for dry (or at least paved) surfaces and a second one with wide, small knob tires for wet wintry mess.

The knobby tires are Continental Race King Protection 26x2.2. As wide as the frame can handle and they clear mud well, roll fast and grip on sloppy trails. If you switched to 29er on that frame, you would probably not be able to run as wide a tire as you can with 26ers. Food for thought...

Otto
Old 01-02-21, 05:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
The thought of jacking up the geometry, buying a full disc brake set-up (levers, calipers, rotors), and having to carry two different tube sizes would talk me out of the whole thing in about a minute. As it sits, you've got a perfectly nice all-weather commuter; it ain't broke, so don't fix it! Besides, adding a few millimeters of tire width isn't going to turn either of your bikes into a mountain bike. If you're going to regularly tackle wet, muddy, and rocky trails, get something made for it.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-02-21, 08:11 PM
Podolak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rolla

I don't disagree. I think I'm decidedly not going to make a 69er. I'll have to give disc brakes more thought. I'm trying to not +1 my stable though.
Old 01-03-21, 12:09 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Podolak
Rolla

I'm trying to not +1 my stable though.
Ah. In that case, just let the Dew Drop tackle the job. It's already got discs, and a different tire choice might work better for you. FWIW, a Jones bar or something similar might improve the off-road handling.

Last edited by Rolla; 01-03-21 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 11:28 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Because a 69er will increase the setback and reduce reach (thus, moving CoG backward), the obvious solution is forward bent seatpost ("set forward" seatpost), with the seat rail adjusted to the most forward position, and a longer stem.

Note that you can't use the much more common "set back" seatposts and simply install it backwards.... Their saddle tilt adjustment have a quite different min and max adjustment and you could be stuck with nose up saddle even if you try tilt the nose as far down as possible.
No, the obvious solution is not to do it unless there is a compelling reason.
I think we have all seen your franken bike and most would not want to go down that route.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 01-03-21, 11:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Because a 69er will increase the setback and reduce reach (thus, moving CoG backward), the obvious solution is forward bent seatpost ("set forward" seatpost), with the seat rail adjusted to the most forward position, and a longer stem.
A forward bent seat post sounds like a terrible idea.... A shorter stem or a 30 degree raise stem plus regular seat post with saddle adjusted slightly forward is all that is needed.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-03-21, 12:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I would stick with 26". If you like Disc brakes which can be quite nice you can find forks that will accommodate or have someone build one which there are plenty of excellent builders in the U.S. who can do it. 26" is a fine size and while a mullet sounds like a good idea in practice they never really looked good. If you are going to have a party have a party and if you are all business be all business but trying to mix the two just never really worked well no matter what people said in the 80s
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-03-21, 03:25 PM
Podolak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ya'll gave some really good input and it is greatly appreciated thank you!
Likes For Podolak:
Old 01-04-21, 01:29 AM
Happy Feet

I wanted a gravel bike for the wide wheel clearance with road racing fit. But it seems gravel bikes are only available in endurance fit so have to replace stem with -35, 110mm, all spacers removed with shorter headset bearing cover

My bike setup is actually almost identical to Caleb Ewan's (UCI Team Lotto-Soudal) Ridley Noah bike in terms of wheels vs BB vs seat vs handlebar geometry. The only difference is my seat and handlebar is 1" behind Caleb's Ridley bike.

I didn't copy his fit, just pure coincidence. It's the best fit I ever came up with in terms of overall performance and comfort.
Just to confirm. This is the bike you are talking about?

Or this bike?