Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Loss of strength while cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-25-21, 11:00 AM
CatSoupLover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all my english is not perfect because if not from the USA so cut me some salck.

Ok si i have been cycling for almost 2 years now, and i have felt a slow but still notisable change in strenght in those 2 years, recently though, for the past 2 month or so i have felt a big lack of strenght and condition, what i could do before now i struggle a lot to do, i use to be able to do 3 laps in a park near my house in a decent speed, now i struggle to do 2 in a slower manner.

I train about 2 to 3 times a week so i dont think overtraining is the isue and i already took a cool off period, of about 9 days, i also eat healthy and consitantly, the only other thing i can think of is maybe my bike is malfunctioning, but any other ideas?
Old 01-25-21, 11:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Heart trouble? Covid? Probably a good idea to ask your doctor.
Old 01-25-21, 11:51 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Lift bike up and spin both wheels to see if a brake is dragging. If not follow shelbyfv's advice pronto

Old 01-25-21, 12:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I was a couple miles into a ride. Suffering. Steep switchbacks up ahead, feeling winded and tired already. Was considering going home. My buddy dropped me and proceeded to open a big gap.

In exasperation, I got off my bike and spun the wheel. The front was dragging hard. I fixed it and soon caught then dropped my friend on the climb.

Check you hubs and brakes.
Old 01-25-21, 04:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CatSoupLover
First of all my english is not perfect because if not from the USA so cut me some salck.

Ok si i have been cycling for almost 2 years now, and i have felt a slow but still notisable change in strenght in those 2 years, recently though, for the past 2 month or so i have felt a big lack of strenght and condition, what i could do before now i struggle a lot to do, i use to be able to do 3 laps in a park near my house in a decent speed, now i struggle to do 2 in a slower manner.

I train about 2 to 3 times a week so i dont think overtraining is the isue and i already took a cool off period, of about 9 days, i also eat healthy and consitantly, the only other thing i can think of is maybe my bike is malfunctioning, but any other ideas?
You've reached a plateau in your training, that's why your progress stopped and you're getting weaker. You need to change your training, do something different. If you keep doing the same thing for a long time, your body will adept to it and it will stop responding .Maybe you just need a change.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-25-21, 05:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I agree with the stuck break issue especially if sudden. This happened to me too and was it an eye opener. Thought I was just tired on the 2000' climb.
Old 01-25-21, 11:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Are your tires aired up to the maximum, or near, pressure? Check them before every ride.

if none of the suggestions above work, you may want to see your doctor

Old 01-26-21, 05:43 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
How are your energy levels otherwise? If you're already tired then it can be much harder to exert yourself. Temperature differences may also explain some of it, assuming it's a lot colder or warmer now.
Old 01-26-21, 07:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I found that the max in pressure was actually slowing me down, after reading an article. Now running less pressure and found it did increase speed as well as comfort. Searched but didn't find the article, but here is one similar: Myth 16: Higher Tire Pressure is Faster – Rene Herse Cycles
If you're running the same pressure as you always were, post #5 is more likely.
Old 01-26-21, 07:54 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

This is said way too much (especially on US forums, I have never seen it so much elsewhere) but in this case I think it is appropriate - see a doctor. What you describe is not normal. There is no reason why a) you would see a slow but continuous decrease in performance and b) such a drop in two months. Something is off. You have been getting worse and that something has in the last two months accelerated.
Old 01-26-21, 07:57 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Lift bike up and spin both wheels to see if a brake is dragging. If not follow shelbyfv's advice pronto
Your Brakes could be Dragging.

Old 01-26-21, 08:14 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
Another thought-in your area, have the temps dropped and the air become "drier"? If yes, your body could be using more energy to stay warm, and if you have, or had, asthma or any breathing problems, colder drier air may affect performance.
Old 01-27-21, 07:36 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

You need to see a doctor