Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

No flange on drive side cup? Nishiki Custom Sport

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-12-21, 03:16 PM
gazman22

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 39 Posts

Hello,

I fully disassembled, cleaned and am now reassembling this bike. Putting in the BB and noticing there is no flange on the drive side cup. I did not notice this on disassembly. Is it supposed to have a lock nut or do I just seat it tightly when the threads bottom out? I have never seen this before!

thanks,

Gary

Old 02-12-21, 03:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
It needs a lock nut.
Old 02-12-21, 03:21 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Did it screw in counterclockwise?
Old 02-12-21, 03:31 PM
gazman22

It screwed in counter clockwise. So would it need a reverse threaded lock nut?
Old 02-12-21, 03:51 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Don't you have all the pieces from taking it out?
Old 02-12-21, 03:54 PM
gazman22

I sure thought I had all the parts! And I usually photo document...but not on this one!

Has anyone seen a drive side cup without a flange? Or a drive side cup with out a flange and with a locking nut?
Old 02-12-21, 04:02 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by gazman22
Has anyone seen a drive side cup without a flange? Or a drive side cup with out a flange and with a locking nut?
Yes on this Raleigh Record I worked on, here's a direct link to the pertinent post in the thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/18987600-post23.html

However, there was definitely a ring on the other side. I thought it was odd, though. There's no flange on the fixed cup side. But I don't know if (and suspect it's not) the same case you're dealing with.

Old 02-12-21, 04:04 PM
shoota 

So I just pulled (probably) the same BB from an old Nishiki the other day and the only lockring was on the NDS, there was nothing on the drive side. So that makes me wonder what keeps it from loosening lol??
Old 02-12-21, 04:04 PM
gazman22

Well, I have found a shot of the bike during disassembly, there was just the cup tightly seated in the shell. Strange. Anyone seen this condition before?

Thanks.

Old 02-12-21, 04:07 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by shoota
So I just pulled (probably) the same BB from an old Nishiki the other day and the only lockring was on the NDS, there was nothing on the drive side. So that makes me wonder what keeps it from loosening lol??
I wondered the exact same thing on that Raleigh I just linked. Then again, everything (for my world at least) was weird about that bike. The BB shell width, BB cup threading, headset and steer tube threading, etc. It was a trip to say the least.

But it was the same thing: I spun the fixed cup down until it was snug and overly difficult to turn (careful not to thread the shell by accident), installed lube and balls, installed NDS cup, added lockring, snugged and adjusted to perfection and kept on trucking. Rode it for a month or two, the tank that it was, then listed it on eBay. I think someone in TX bought it for $175, then paid another $160 to have my LBS pack and ship. Dunno!

Well, I have found a shot of the bike during disassembly, there was just the cup tightly seated in the shell. Strange. Anyone seen this condition before?
Yes. See link in my last post.

Old 02-12-21, 04:10 PM
gazman22

Thanks!

Weird, but good to know I am not missing anything.
Likes For gazman22:
Old 02-12-21, 04:13 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Thanks!

Weird, but good to know I am not missing anything.
I mean, you may still be missing something, I know I am. Been looking for my mind for years now and ... wait, what were we talking about?

By the time I got a "real" shop job in the 90s, everything bike boom was a disposable tank costing more to repair than it was worth, I guess maybe that's how I managed to go my entire short-lived career as a wrench without dealing with this situation. There was at least one older guy in the shop that would typically take on the cottered and older bikes and leave the young guys to the newer stuff though. Your bike looks like an 80s model, so I'm surprised I never worked on one similar. Dunno! Maybe another member with a couple of decades of experience than me can chime in.

Likes For francophile:
Old 02-12-21, 04:18 PM
shoota 

On this note, the weight of the BB is astonishing. Definitely bike boom low end.
Old 02-12-21, 04:21 PM
shoota 

Old 02-12-21, 04:50 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
It screwed in counter clockwise. So would it need a reverse threaded lock nut?
I have a left-threaded lock ring that you can have free if you find you need it. Our old tandem came with lock rings on both sides of both (cartridge) bottom brackets so that you could adjust the chain line a few mm each way. Both BBs have long since worn out but I kept the lock rings for some weird reason.

The right cup will tend to screw itself in tighter from precession. You wondered if it was meant just to drive in and stop. I don’t like this idea because the cup will always be trying to force new threads into the shell, even if the ones there now are just right. But if you need the cup to stop shy of the bottom of the threads, you definitely need a lock ring.

Anyway, PM me if you want one. We’re supposed to be staying at home except for essential shopping here till 22 Feb., and our local post office has had Covid outbreaks, so I can’t ethically regard this as an essential errand. (I have to go to the p.o. to mail it, Customs paper work.) From the number of cars on the road, I don’t think many people are staying home. Still...

Edit: I see from @shoota’s recent post that his fixed cup goes in till it’s flush with the shell. So no room for a lock ring. Guess you just drive it till it stops. Precession keeps it there. Sorry for the red herring.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 02-12-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-12-21, 05:49 PM
gazman22

Thanks for all the help and input!
Likes For gazman22:
Old 02-12-21, 06:42 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
I have a left-threaded lock ring that you can have free if you find you need it. Our old tandem came with lock rings on both sides of both (cartridge) bottom brackets so that you could adjust the chain line a few mm each way.
Funny, I would think the eccentric could just be knocked this way or that a few mm. They can move sideways too! I'm guilty of employing that trick, within reason! Nowadays I have shims for it, but aluminum freehub spacers will also work in a pinch.