Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

WTB 4 speed freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 11:39 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 262 Posts
WTB 4 speed freewheel

Hey guys,
I have a buddy looking for a 4 speed freewheel. Let me know if you have one and I'll hook you up with my friend.

Thanks

John
Old 02-19-21, 12:30 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
It may be possible to remove a cog from a five-speed freewheel and get a 4-speed.

For example, the Maillard freewheels with the large splined remover have the smallest cog screwed to the second cog, not to the body of the freewheel. When this is unscrewed, the freewheel bears only four cogs, and the whole freewheel is the same thickness as an old four-speed, because the body of the freewheel is only four speeds thick. The catch is, you are probably limited to a 16 or 17t cog as your smallest. I believe the small-splined "Atom" is the same way, but those take a 15t as smallest cog. May take some muscle to remove the smallest cog, as they are screwed on TIGHT. But this is the best way to get a decently unworn four-speed for cheap.

If this doesn't make sense, I can upload a picture.

Might also be useful to specify what threading your friend needs.
Old 02-19-21, 12:44 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by scarlson
It may be possible to remove a cog from a five-speed freewheel and get a 4-speed.

For example, the Maillard freewheels with the large splined remover have the smallest cog screwed to the second cog, not to the body of the freewheel. When this is unscrewed, the freewheel bears only four cogs, and the whole freewheel is the same thickness as an old four-speed, because the body of the freewheel is only four speeds thick. The catch is, you are probably limited to a 16 or 17t cog as your smallest. I believe the small-splined "Atom" is the same way, but those take a 15t as smallest cog. May take some muscle to remove the smallest cog, as they are screwed on TIGHT. But this is the best way to get a decently unworn four-speed for cheap.

If this doesn't make sense, I can upload a picture.

Might also be useful to specify what threading your friend needs.
Thanks for the advice. This gent is all about having something period correct and is looking for original equitpment.

Thanks

John
Old 02-19-21, 01:26 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Atom freewheels did come in four speed versions. The only difference would be that the outer cog is missing, and the second cog would not have threads for another cog to be added. If you took the fifth cog off a five-speed and neatly ground or turned off the extra threads on the second cog, nobody would be the wiser.
Old 02-19-21, 06:24 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
i have a few regina 4 speed FWs in the parts bin. i'll check later this morning after i shovel out the sidewalk!
Old 02-19-21, 06:40 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Just for the information, was a four speed freewheel 1/8” or 3/32” chain width?
Likes For elcraft:
Old 02-19-21, 07:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Many Regina 5 and 6-speed freewheels were built on 4-speed bodies, with the fifth and sixth sprockets threading into each other and the fourth sprocket. Just remove the sprockets that don't thread directly onto the freewheel body, and you'll be left with a 4-speed block.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-19-21, 10:29 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Just for the information, was a four speed freewheel 1/8” or 3/32” chain width?
Yes.

While most were 3/32, some are 1/8.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-19-21, 10:31 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Thanks for the advice. This gent is all about having something period correct and is looking for original equitpment.

Thanks

John
What period? What threading/country? What gears?
Likes For iab:
Old 02-20-21, 03:53 PM
jjhabbs 

This is the last time I shop for someone else! LOL

Thanks for the comments and suggestions

JJ
Old 02-21-21, 05:39 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
If you're still looking for one, I've got a 4-speed Regina (first and second pics below) that's missing the biggest cog and is missing a tooth on the small cog. But I've also got a 5-speed Regina (third pic) with 5 good cogs, so I think (?) you could mix and match and get a working 4 between them. Or just take the 4 and get some replacement cogs elsewhere if the tooth counts aren't what you want. I'm sure folks around here have other loose cogs.