Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tire Cleareance Question

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tire Cleareance Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 12:19 PM
stargazer48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Tire Cleareance Question

When I got my steel frame Swift from Peter, he gave me Schwalbe Marathon Plus' because he wasn't sure the the Big Apple 2.0 would fit.
I think the MPs may have been a bit overkill for me and this is my 1st folder so I didn't have anyway to compare how a different tire would feel.
Since one of them is defective and I also need a spare, he is willing give me Big Apple 2.0. With the rear tire using MP, I have 1/4" clearance on each side of the rear stays closest to the bottom bracket. If I get the BAs, i'd have only 1/8" cleareance. Doesn't that seems too close for comfort? If the wheel goes out of true 5/32, I would have to stop and attempt to true it back so I could continue my ride.

As I mentioned in my other threads, I am planning to use my folder to touring abroad/USA and use it for my local transportation where ever I decide to settle for awhile. I wanted puncture-resistant reliable touring tire which the MPs are but wanted a more lively tire.
Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

SG

Last edited by stargazer48; 05-19-06 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-28-06, 05:53 PM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use haro multisurface tires on my 20 inch yeah they are 406 by 1.85 inches .They work well and are inflatable to 85 psi.Just a suggestion.