Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

single speed gearing

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

single speed gearing

Old 06-29-06, 06:04 PM
tonyg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
single speed gearing

i'm thinking about getting started in folders by purchasing a dahon boardwalk1. einstein bikes international lists this model as having a 63" gear. is this right, and doesn't it seem to be a little high for a singlespeed? or am i not taking into account the 20" wheels? i thought a 2:1 gearing was the norm for singlespeeds. i'm a little confused and would appreciate your input, as i'm no bike expert. thanks.....tonyg
Old 06-29-06, 06:37 PM
DaFriMon
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyg
i'm thinking about getting started in folders by purchasing a dahon boardwalk1. einstein bikes international lists this model as having a 63" gear. is this right, and doesn't it seem to be a little high for a singlespeed? or am i not taking into account the 20" wheels? i thought a 2:1 gearing was the norm for singlespeeds. i'm a little confused and would appreciate your input, as i'm no bike expert. thanks.....tonyg
With the actual diameter of 20 inch wheels being around 19 inches, a 2:1 gearing ratio would give you a 38 inch gear, which is ridiculously low for a single speed.

I haven't owned a single speed in a while, but 63 gear inches seems like a reasonable compromise. You should be able to get up moderate hills without walking, and won't have to spin insanely on the flats just to keep up a decent speed.
Old 06-30-06, 03:43 AM
trentschler
Not so new

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Schwinn Peloton, Moulton AM Esprit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I run 63 gear inches on my single-speed bikes. I find that to be a good compromise for riding in and around NYC. I do lose a tiny bit of top-end speed, but I can get started easily from traffic lights, and climb all the hills in the nearby New Jersey suburbs, so the tradeoff is worth it.

I can still motor along with my friends at 18-20 mph, and that's good enough for me.

If you're riding fixed, then you'll probably need a higher gear so you don't spin out when descending. If you use a freewheel (as I do), you can just coast.

I have two bikes with 451 mm wheels, and I run 50 x 16 on one, and 54 x 17 on the other.

If you find 63 inches is too low, you can always gear up later.
Old 06-30-06, 11:51 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 2003 Boardwalk S1. I changed the single speed option into a three speed, leaving the rest of the drivetrain (chainring and single cog) alone and with the stock parts. I live in a very hilly area with streets that tend to start at the bottom of hills with a stop sign to prevent me from doing any head starts of mad pumping. I do not have to honk up (get out of the saddle and pump) up the hill. I just make sure I have it in the right gear and start at a dead stop. So the basic layout is right on for almost anything.
Old 06-30-06, 11:56 AM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For 20" wheels (406s), my preferred single speed setup is somewhere between 40x18 and 46x20, depends on how much uphill riding i expect to do. 44x19 is my standard.

Last edited by randya; 07-05-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 02:18 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
easy to change

A 63 inch gear is easy enough to change just get a larger rear sprocket installed.It may cost 50 bucks total with installation. James
Old 07-02-06, 03:00 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2:1 is the standard ratio for 26" wheeled MTBs off-road (52"). Most fixed wheel road riders end up around 66"-72". Singlespeeders can go a little lower because they don't have to pedal on the downhills.