Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

looking for my first folder can you help?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-05-06, 04:58 AM
kev.mcb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first post on these forums so I would like to take the opportunity to say hello to everyone before I pile on the questions …hello!

I have a few questions for you guys, if you have time to answer them it would be most appreciated.
Im looking for a bike just to get me from home to work/training/my mothers! Im totally new to the world of bicycles in general so I don’t really know much about them, but something I do know is that there is very little space in my home for a full-sized bicycle, so this lead me to find folders which I think are totally appropriate for me not to mention they look cool as hell!!!

I have narrowed the search down to a few based on a price range of about 500euro(650 dollars/350pounds) and would like to get some of your knowledge and experience to point me in the right direction.
The list:

Dahon Vitesse D7
Dahon Speed D7 (im not sure if there is any difference in these two but the vitesse is a much nicer color)

Downtube FS (dose anyone know a UK/Irish retailer for these as I live in Dublin and cant find one online…this looks very cool as well)

Raleigh Parkway 2006 (not to pushed on this one but it looks ok)

Any thoughts on my selection or can you add another bike to the list for me to consider?

Thanks a million!
Old 07-05-06, 07:02 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay Kevin is your route very hilly? If it is fairly flat i would get my feet wet with a Dahon S1 a single speed coaster brake bike .If you care to ,it can later be converted to a fixed wheel for training or a 3 speed.If extra gears are a must the Dahon Boardwalk 7( vitesse or D7) or a similiar Dahon would be a solid choice.Is the Raliegh parkway possibly made for them by Dahon?
Old 07-05-06, 07:31 AM
kev.mcb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply, it is not very hilly on my root more like one or two very small slopes so ill have a look at the bike you mentioned and see what i think also im not sure about the raliegh being made by dahon could be for all i know!
Old 07-05-06, 07:51 AM
kev.mcb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have any of you guys heard of this manufacturer? Ridgeback bikes.
i found a bike shop in town that stock these and will have a new load in next week the "Ridgeback Attache" looks just like a "Dahon Vitesse D5" and is the same price any thoughts? there homepage is:
www.ridgebackbikes.co.uk
Old 07-05-06, 08:27 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think they make a "Vitesse D7" anymore, so if a local shop has one, it's an older model. So old, in fact, that some of its parts may already be obsolete.

The latest Vitesse models have internal hubs, which are a little less efficient than derailleurs, but a little more reliable and better for wet weather.

The Dahons are just about small enough to put under your desk and ought to be fine for what you're doing. Another option is the Brompton, which has the smallest/best fold and are super-convenient, but are a little more expensive than the Dahons.
Old 07-05-06, 08:57 AM
kev.mcb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Brompton bikes are nice but are quite price so ill have to go for a diferent maker. i like the look of the downtube bikes and the price of them is right for me but im having a prob finding a reseller for UK/Ireland
also what is the new = to the Vitesse D7?
Old 07-05-06, 09:10 AM
donkeyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downtube does not sell through retail shops. They can be bought on e-bay or from their web site www.downtube.com.
I have a FS and love it---it rides great and very comfortable. Downtube uses all standard parts and components that can be readily bought or replaced an a local bike shop.
You get a lot of bike for the money with Downtube.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-05-06, 09:22 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by kev.mcb
I have narrowed the search down to a few based on a price range of about 500euro(650 dollars/350pounds) and would like to get some of your knowledge and experience to point me in the right direction.
the Brompton bikes are nice but are quite price so ill have to go for a diferent maker.
The Bromptom three-speed C3E sells for US$656 in California (current price list from Channell Wasson).

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 07-05-06, 10:03 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
the Brompton bikes are nice but are quite price so ill have to go for a diferent maker. i like the look of the downtube bikes and the price of them is right for me but im having a prob finding a reseller for UK/Ireland
also what is the new = to the Vitesse D7?
H'm, I'm a bit surprised the Bromptons are out of your price range. They are a bit expensive in the US but the lower-cost models are around $700, and I assumed at least part of that is due to taxes / tarrifs and low volume of imports.

The "old" Vitesse D7 had a derailluer (like the Speed D7 does), the "new" Vitesse D3's and D5's have internal hubs. So basically, the transmissions are a little different, not sure what else. One thing about Dahon is that they change their model line-up fairly frequently, and they use a lot of non-standard parts, so on some occasions it can be difficult to get replacement parts on the older bikes. For example, they changed the handlepost designs in 2005, so if that "old" Vitesse was made in 2004 and the handlepost ever breaks, you will have some issues with that repair.

If you pick up the "old" Vitesse you might be fine, but you're already at a bit of a disadvantage. I'd check with the sales person to find out if it's new or used, and what year it was made. If it was made in 2004 or earlier, I'd haggle them on the price.

Contact Downtube directly to find out about UK sales.
Old 07-05-06, 10:18 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you look on EBay, you can find a Merc--a Taiwanese Brompton knockoff--for 330 British pounds. At least on paper, it is a better buy with all of the accessories. Ignoring the accessories, the bikes differ by the (1) internal hub brand--Sturmey Archer vs. SRAM--, (2) type of shifter--grip vs. thumb shifter--, (3) frame material--alloy vs. cromoly. Look for the EBay userid 123maddy.

My wife and I have been comparing an older Brompton and a lightly used Merc. We have been using the Brompton for about a month and the Merc a little more than a week. So we are unable to make any big statements on the Merc's reliability. I have tinkered with the bike a bit and so far the Merc compares well.

You can find several postings in the Folding Bikes section on Bromptons and Mercs. There are Merc owners that give their impressions over a few months. A big plus for the Brompton is that there is a relatively large support network for the bike. That is, there are a lot of shops that carry the Brompton and the manufacturer stands by its product. You should factor that value into your decision.
Old 07-05-06, 10:48 AM
DaFriMon
Member, Schmember

Bikes: Bike Friday Crusoe and Pocket Tourist. Dahon Curve D3 and Speed P8. Raleigh Twenty. Bianchi Eros. Highly modified Mongoose Dynametric (hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have any of you guys heard of this manufacturer? Ridgeback bikes.
i found a bike shop in town that stock these and will have a new load in next week the "Ridgeback Attache" looks just like a "Dahon Vitesse D5" and is the same price any thoughts? there homepage is:
www.ridgebackbikes.co.uk
Several companies sell licensed re-badged Dahons. As I recall, Phillips and Ridgeback are two British companies that do this. Breezer and Trek do the same in the US, and there are a number of others. They aren't always quite identical to current Dahon models, but they could be a good alternative. One thing about the Vitesse D5. There was a problem with rear axle slippage, which Dahon has now fixed by replacing the rear axle nuts. You might want to check if the Ridgeback version has the same fix.
Old 07-05-06, 10:50 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was happy years ago with the DaHon 3 speed I took to settle a debt. Took it around the contry by place during business trips. Finally trashed by a friend who was hit by a car while riding it. It was a little big and awkward to transport. If I had had more $$$ I would have gotten a more compact bike. I have heard of an exceptionally small (and pricey) bike that can go under a plane seat. If you go for very small wheels look for a suspension system so you do not get thrown around going over ruts and bumps. Your goes well for a person from the land of Guiness.
Old 07-05-06, 11:44 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Im looking for a bike just to get me from home to work/training/my mothers! Im totally new to the world of bicycles in general so I don’t really know much about them, but something I do know is that there is very little space in my home for a full-sized bicycle, so this lead me to find folders which I think are totally appropriate for me not to mention they look cool as hell!!!

You appear to be a strong candidate for folder ownership. These and other reasons where what drove me to the world of folders.

The list:

Dahon Vitesse D7
Dahon Speed D7 (im not sure if there is any difference in these two but the vitesse is a much nicer color)

I don't have any experience of the Vitesse D7 since it is not sold over here. The Dahon Speed D7 was available for purchase at one of the bike shops I patronize. I thought that it is a fine sucessor to the Boardwalk (the Boardwalk is no longer offered here) and has all the accessories you need to be a all around bike.

Downtube FS (dose anyone know a UK/Irish retailer for these as I live in Dublin and cant find one online…this looks very cool as well)

If you like alunimun frames, you will probably like the Downtube. It is really not my cup of tea so I won't comment on it further.

Raleigh Parkway 2006 (not to pushed on this one but it looks ok)

The Raleigh series would be a good choice for a beginning folder owner, I suppose. But I never saw one except on the internet and I always feel it is better to see and try it out in person, if you can. It is another folder not offered in the US.

Any thoughts on my selection or can you add another bike to the list for me to consider

I can add another bike to your selection. Try Brompton M3 for a bit more money with the mudguards attached. It would be worth your time to consider one for the reasons listed above as well as you can't beat the craftsmanship, and care that the other cheaper folders seem to lack. I speak from personal experience as I have had a Brompton now for 6 months.
Old 07-05-06, 12:58 PM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Possibly Dahon makes them for Ridgeback. That is called badge engineering.
Old 07-05-06, 04:39 PM
kev.mcb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies, all are very informative and will help me decide what to do. I get a big pay cheque in two weeks so I still have plenty of time to make my decision so keep the comments coming if there are more out there! Also I would like to say that this is a very welcoming community especially for a nervous newbie
Thanks.