Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

folders ON buses

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

folders ON buses

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 04:41 PM
taka2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
folders ON buses

Anyone tried taking a folder ON the bus, vice on the bike rack? Most bus services will not let you take a regular bike on the bus if the rack is full, but I'd love to know if it's possible to bring one onto the bus.
Old 08-02-06, 06:09 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have and most people here on this forum does too. In my case, I have a medium size folder (wheel size 20 inches) and a tiny folder (wheel size 16 inches) that folds super compact. I have taken both on buses folded and bagged. I have never experienced any problems with this arrangement. The Metro bus system here allows folding bikes at all times on board. The racks are left to the non folding bikes. This is a win/win situation for all parties concerned whether passanger, regular non folding bike user or me the Folder Fanatic.

I do not know the size of your bike or even the make. But my guess is if your bike folds as compact as my 2 does, you should not have a problem unless the cabin is jammed to overcapacity with standing room only. Then any package be it folder or anything else is blocking or taking someone's spot. And that is another story.
Old 08-02-06, 07:12 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by taka2007
Anyone tried taking a folder ON the bus, vice on the bike rack? Most bus services will not let you take a regular bike on the bus if the rack is full, but I'd love to know if it's possible to bring one onto the bus.
This was discussed in THIS THREAD. Your local transit agency should have a written policy regarding boarding buses with folders, and it should permit carrying them aboard when the rack is full. Unfortunately, some drivers aren't aware of these policies. Get a copy and carry it with you.

EDIT - I live in San Francisco, which is considered a very bike-friendly city. I just checked the San Francisco Muni bicycle policy and found that, "Bikes, folding and non-folding, are not allowed inside any Muni bus, streetcar, or other transit vehicle at any time." This is a surprise to me since I have taken my Brompton M6L folder (inside a carrying bag) on Muni buses several times without any static from the driver.

I think I'll contact the mayor's office about changing this written policy.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 08-02-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 11:26 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
New York City has a policy where any package considered determined too bulky by the driver will not be allowed inside the cabin of the bus. However, this is usually not inforced especially during non rush hours. Folding bikes should ALWAYS be covered in a bag therefore confusing the driver into thinking it is luggage. Trying to bring the bicycle uncovered and folded is simply asking to be kicked off.
Old 08-03-06, 11:30 AM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by Scooper
This was discussed in THIS THREAD. Your local transit agency should have a written policy regarding boarding buses with folders, and it should permit carrying them aboard when the rack is full. Unfortunately, some drivers aren't aware of these policies. Get a copy and carry it with you.

EDIT - I live in San Francisco, which is considered a very bike-friendly city. I just checked the San Francisco Muni bicycle policy and found that, "Bikes, folding and non-folding, are not allowed inside any Muni bus, streetcar, or other transit vehicle at any time." This is a surprise to me since I have taken my Brompton M6L folder (inside a carrying bag) on Muni buses several times without any static from the driver.

I think I'll contact the mayor's office about changing this written policy.
Now that Bromptons are becoming and other folders are becoming more recognizable, bus drivers are giving them more trouble. The policy is usually enforced if the bike is not inside a bag. Once the folder is bagged, the driver will usually allow the bike onboard thinking it's just a large package.
Old 08-03-06, 12:13 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
New York City has a policy where any package considered determined too bulky by the driver will not be allowed inside the cabin of the bus. However, this is usually not inforced especially during non rush hours. Folding bikes should ALWAYS be covered in a bag therefore confusing the driver into thinking it is luggage. Trying to bring the bicycle uncovered and folded is simply asking to be kicked off.
People take loaded shopping carts on busses in New York City. I've seen entire families move from Boston to Florida via Greyhound. What could possibly be too bulky to take on a bus?
Old 08-03-06, 01:35 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In Washington DC, the stated Metro policy is that a folded bicycle in a bag can be brought onto the Metro vehicle at anytime. Full-sized bikes can be brought onto the trains during nonpeak hours. Buses have racks that can fit two bikes.
Old 08-06-06, 08:46 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fold it and bag it ,with 16 and 20 inchers you should have no problem.
Old 08-06-06, 02:35 PM
taka2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just emailed my city transit department to find out what the policy is.

As for an earlier question, I've not bought a folder yet, but I'm looking at 20" size, though not much thought beyond that yet. (The whole issue is riding on whether or not I have to take my son (3) to daycare... which would put a serious hamper on riding to work).
Old 08-11-06, 08:06 AM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by Stacy
People take loaded shopping carts on busses in New York City. I've seen entire families move from Boston to Florida via Greyhound. What could possibly be too bulky to take on a bus?
I'm just giving you the rules on boarding a New York City bus. If the package is too big, the driver has the right not to allow you to board. I suspect this is the rule for many buses during rush hour.